JB and a Plan ??? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The plan doesn’t have to already have a coach selected.

That's kind of the essence of any "plan", don't you think? Hiring the next COACH?

That's kind of the essence of any "plan", don't you think? Hiring the next COACH?

No. And since he said he’s not selecting the coach but will have some input I suspect they probably don’t have one selected.

I have a hard time recruits know "the plan".

If recruits know, then their parents know, their AAU coaches know, their friends too may be. There is no way to keeping it a secret.

And this is not only those who committed, this included those all those who committed elsewhere, assuming they were told the plan in order to help make their decisions.

I seriously doubt if recruits were told things about the plan.

For those saying it must be internal, I disagree. While he said it wouldn’t be his decision who the next coach is, he said he’d have a say in the process. Meaning no decision has been made yet.

Completely agree. The first paragraph of the article was completely misleading:

Syracuse, N.Y. ― Jim Boeheim revealed that Syracuse has a plan in place for his eventual retirement and who will succeed him as basketball coach.

Re: the highlighted section above, nothing of the sort was stated, implied, or insinuated by JB about "who will succeed him."

In fact, JB went out of his way to indicate that he'd wouldn't be making that choice, and would only be a bit player in the process.

If an internal candidate [not including Hop, who is obligated elsewhere] had been chosen, they would have announced it like Duke -- even if JB's retirement is pushed out a couple of years. Because there would be a benefit in doing so, to offset negative recruiting and establish a path to continuity for players / parents / recruits. There's a reason no announcement of that kind has been made.

Agree 100%, Bees -- the only part of the "plan" that's been decided upon is the timing for when JB is going to step away.

Syracuse, N.Y. ― Jim Boeheim revealed that Syracuse has a plan in place for his eventual retirement and who will succeed him as basketball coach.

Re: the highlighted section above, nothing of the sort was stated, implied, or insinuated by JB about "who will succeed him."

In fact, JB went out of his way to indicate that he'd wouldn't be making that choice, and would only be a bit player in the process.

If an internal candidate [not including Hop, who is obligated elsewhere] had been chosen, they would have announced it like Duke -- even if JB's retirement is pushed out a couple of years. Because there would be a benefit in doing so, to offset negative recruiting and establish a path to continuity for players / parents / recruits. There's a reason no announcement of that kind has been made.

Agree 100%, Bees -- the only part of the "plan" that's been decided upon is the timing for when JB is going to step away.
I hope you are right but these words scare me “and who will succeed him as basketball coach.”

If those words weren’t used I wouldn’t be worried its internal.

The candidates haven’t even be contacted.
I am worried that implies its Hop or internal.
As you have said and outlined that would be worrisome.

I hope uou are right but these words scare me “and who will succeed him as basketball coach.”

If those words weren’t used I wouldn’t be worried its internal.

The candidates haven’t even be contacted.
I am worried that implies its Hop or internal.
As you have said and outlined that would be worrisome.

Agreed -- but read the article, and you'll see that it is a misleading intro.

Even the article posted by jgeorge322 above is more of the same ["Boeheim says successor plan in place at Cuse"]. Then read it, and he says nothing about a successor, only that he plans to coach next year and a plan is in place for the timing of his departure. Nothing about a successor.

Want to know why? Because no successor has been tabbed yet.

Also this year’s recruiting class who thinks it worth another year of this?
It’s not a class that will make an immediate impact.

JB wants to remain HC which is fine but his comments he gave his word to this class is just spin he is saying because he wants to coach.

I would punt this class tomorrow if we could get an impactful HC.

Front page news of espn. I bet jim walks this back now.
We went from him saying coaching 50 years sounded nice (Corey Alexander reference), to we now have a succession plan in place. Something obviously happened between last Saturday and this Tuesday. Getting embarrassed by Duke at home and then blowing the NC game because we can't execute an inbounds play probably was the last straw for Wildhack and anybody with a say in this decision. His Capt. Queeg denial press conferences after games don’t help either.

Jim saying things...

Problem with Boeheim's communication skills, or lack thereof, is he's too cute with things that people deem important and newsworthy. Suddenly the program is getting attention for something that is somewhat vague.

The simple way to handle this is being upfront and clear on what the plan of attack is. I think Jim, to his credit, doesn't know what his plan is still because he likes to coach and wants to continue doing so. He is probably getting soft pressure from Juli, JW, his assistants, as to what he should be doing. It's utterly impossible to tell someone that the thing you've done for 50 years now needs a time specific drop dead date based on...nothing (Putting aside the fact performance. i assume he thinks he's the best guy for job still).

I'm saying two contradictory things but where Boeheim has always had problems is keeping his mouth shut and/or saying something he contradicts later on and then gets into piss contests w the media.

I think JB stays one more year. If they seem to have righted the ship (20 W’s and back in tournament, mix in some M-M) and this class looks deep and shows potential, JW will strongly consider Red. If we are again on the bubble, JW looks outside program. That’s the “plan” - show me you have fixed this, and we’ll go internal. If not, we go elsewhere. JB’s “input” is his (and staff’s) performance next year.

Jim saying things...

Problem with Boeheim's communication skills, or lack thereof, is he's too cute with things that people deem important and newsworthy. Suddenly the program is getting attention for something that is somewhat vague.

The simple way to handle this is being upfront and clear on what the plan of attack is. I think Jim, to his credit, doesn't know what his plan is still because he likes to coach and wants to continue doing so. He is probably getting soft pressure from Juli, JW, his assistants, as to what he should be doing. It's utterly impossible to tell someone that the thing you've done for 50 years now needs a time specific drop dead date based on...nothing (Putting aside the fact performance. i assume he thinks he's the best guy for job still).

I'm saying two contradictory things but where Boeheim has always had problems is keeping his mouth shut and/or saying something he contradicts later on and then gets into piss contests w the media.
I mean listen to that interview with Axe. JB says he knew we would struggle this year. What? All he talked about preseason was how experienced and team chemistry was off the charts. He didn’t say we would struggle or this was a team to worry about.

He just spins everything. If he thought this team would struggle this year he contradicts what he said about we turned down other players.

It made the front page of ESPN.

FB6F7494-5D9B-4798-A659-381AF9442453.jpeg

The choice of words on the headline isn’t ideal.

This is exactly it - if it were a internal candidate they would make they announcement, all logic suggests so at least. Unless an internal candidate is named in the coming weeks (meaning JB not uncharacteristically jumped the gun on the announcement), there is a reasonable chance that we go outside. All that said, I won’t rest easy on this topic until I see that.

If we hire someone from the JB tree I want it to be Pitino first. Second would be Hop, at least he can recruit. BTW anyone else notice that Hop is starting to look like JB? All he needs is glasses. Coincidence? Or is he prepping to be our next HC?

I mean listen to that interview with Axe. JB says he knew we would struggle this year. What? All he talked about preseason was how experienced and team chemistry was off the charts. He didn’t say we would struggle or this was a team to worry about.

He just spins everything. If he thought this team would struggle this year he contradicts what he said about we turned down other players.

this is the argument for he's really old and starting to lose the script. hate to be an ageist but when I got to Syracuse in 1994 this isn't the same Jim Boeheim. He was certainly surly, angry, petulant but he seems to be just a circular talker now.

To me, this is all good news. I'm a Boeheim for life guy. Deserves everything he will get on the way out. But more info at this point is helpful to the fans who have pushed this program into a real national appeal. People care about SU Hoops. Let's keep it that way and show some intelligence with the transition vs this papal secrecy/palace intrigue that really does no one any good. Unless Hopkins is the choice and all this vague speak is because their guy is somewhere else...

So coach has said or implied recently:

- there is an “ironclad” plan for his transition (mind you, this is after a blown transition already)

- we are going to mix in M2M

- compliments Benny and Cole and Joe on M2M

- we’ll be getting Mintz (in a round about way saying this)

- best class ever

This seems like a guy trying to put out fires. Whether it’s his own doing, or JW making him, or a combo - this seems like a greatest hits of “no, it’s really going to be ok!”

Really hope I’m wrong and there has truly been a plan and JW is in charge, but this reeks of someone having support diminish and now they are trying to regain control of a situation that has been allowed to spin out for too long.

Again, just my 0.02.

Also, if there has been a plan, this is a terrible way to announce it. No details, by JB himself, as we’re barreling towards a potential sub .500 record.
I kind of thought the same. He's just saying stuff to take the heat off.

So he just blew up the pitch to future recruits that he’ll still be here by saying this publicly. that’s kind of dumb.
How do you know what his pitch is?

Yea hes full of crapola.

I kind of thought the same. He's
I kind of thought the same. He's just saying stuff to take the heat off.
People need to connect the dots.

JB spoke preseason and said he wasn’t going to retire this year.

He gets asked about retirement after the Duke game and hasn’t been asked during the season even when we were 9-11.

He lashes out at the reporter and bashes a player to shut the question down.

Ya think he had a talk with the AD about that?

Now the home finale and last regular season game is coming up and the dropping information which really did nothing but cause more questions.

The headline on the most popular and traffic sports site says successor plan in place in Cuse?
What?
His comments caused more news as those comments didn’t say that.

Plus as i said and MikeSU said listen to the interview. He casually drops Cole might be back, we might be open to some m2m defense AND he knew we would struggle this season?

What? No kidding we would struggle yet we have a thread from CNY-in Miami which could be described as a narrative thread to attack posters.

LOL JB did not know we would struggle this year. They talked up the team in the offseason.

Buddy was quoted as saying their goal was to finish in the top three of the conference.

Sick of the political like spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors