JB celebration | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB celebration

You guys realize JB is never going to sign off on something that puts more attention on him than he wants, right?

Cleary you don’t. Stop blaming the AD for everything you disagree with.

I also know the guy is passionately committed to his Foundation, and may well be open to it if it means hundreds of thousands of dollars to it.

Of course, if he was a hard no, he's a hard no. But I don't have any reason to believe that was ever considered.

Last edited:
I dont understand what this is. A little ceremony stuck into an existing game? Seems like not enough for a 47 year career.

I truly believe that a standalone ticketed evening event, with 100% of proceeds going to the JB Foundation (minus the expenses of paying Dome staff) would have drawn at least 10K fans, probably more, TONS of former players and alums, and likely found its way onto a local TV affiliate.

It would have been a ONE time only event, never to be repeated for anyone else. Why boil him down to a glorified Senior Night?

I don't get this place sometimes.
I like the idea of a game. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate him than a packed dome against an old rival. I’ll be making a couple hours drive for it. I wouldn’t for some fancy dinner or big dog and pony show - seems like they’ve already been doing those (the documentary, the roast at oak hill).

You guys realize JB is never going to sign off on something that puts more attention on him than he wants, right?

Cleary you don’t. Stop blaming the AD for everything you disagree with.
Agree. This is perfect and will be quite a day in the Dome and what Duke did for Coach K. Except of course JB is now retired. So while I'm sure he will be disappointed if we lose that day, he probably won't be all Mr Grumpy Pants during the ceremony like Coach K was when they lost on his day.

Agree. This is perfect and will be quite a day in the Dome and what Duke did for Coach K. Except of course JB is now retired. So while I'm sure he will be disappointed if we lose that day, he probably won't be all Mr Grumpy Pants during the ceremony like Coach K was when they lost on his day.
Yeah, that was really something, wasn’t it? When you decide you’re going for an all year glory tour, you are taking the chance of getting egg on your face and he did not respond to that egging with grace or humility.

I actually like Coach K but that was not his finest hour. He’s had other not fine hours as well. God bless America!
Mel Gibson America GIF

Yeah, that was really something, wasn’t it? When you decide you’re going for an all year glory tour, you are taking the chance of getting egg on your face and he did not respond to that egging with grace or humility.

I actually like Coach K but that was not his finest hour. He’s had other not fine hours as well. God bless America!
Mel Gibson America GIF
It was possibly one of the funniest and greatest things I’ve ever seen.

Didn't we do this last season during the Wake Forest game?

Nope. Not officially.

It didn’t get announced that he was retiring,
until we lost that game in the ACCT.

So yeah - there were all sorts of awards and recognitions and whatnot before, during, and after the Wake game (and I was lucky enough to be there for all of it!),

none of it was to officially recognize JAB and his nearly 5 decades of being HC for Cuse.

Nope. Not officially.

It didn’t get announced that he was retiring,
until we lost that game in the ACCT.

So yeah - there were all sorts of awards and recognitions and whatnot before, during, and after the Wake game (and I was lucky enough to be there for all of it!),

none of it was to officially recognize JAB and his nearly 5 decades of being HC for Cuse.

There are things to complain about with regards to Jim Boeheim. Having a celebration AFTER he's retired is not one of them.

He deserves it if he wants it. He probably regrets how the retirement went down and having a day to truly get a send off properly is closure.

There are things to complain about with regards to Jim Boeheim. Having a celebration AFTER he's retired is not one of them.

He deserves it if he wants it. He probably regrets how the retirement went down and having a day to truly get a send off properly is closure.
He certainly deserves it but the fans also deserve to show him their appreciation for decades of great teams, fun players, brightening up our winters, his devotion to the university and the community as a whole.

He certainly deserves it but the fans also deserve to show him their appreciation for decades of great teams, fun players, brightening up our winters, his devotion to the university and the community as a whole.
I'm sure a lot of his former players and staff will want to attend. Should we discuss if Bernie would be accepted by the school and the fans.

I'm going to the event in LA with Boeheim and Bob Costas in November, so that will be my farewell tour.

He got a bad deal and so did our school.

Our school got a great deal since he was eradicated from history and they got to distance themselves from the story regardless of the veracity

I never got the sense boeheim opposed that. He didn’t seem to care about the future of Bernie. Never mentioned him again.

Hopefully Jim was a good friend away from publicity.

Our school got a great deal since he was eradicated from history and they got to distance themselves from the story regardless of the veracity

I never got the sense boeheim opposed that. He didn’t seem to care about the future of Bernie. Never mentioned him again.

Hopefully Jim was a good friend away from publicity.
Admittedly, my memory is fuzzy, but was it ever acknowledged nationally, or even regionally, that the two young men recanted? Was Bernie ever publicly absolved? This happened around the time of Penn State and in many basketball fans minds - as well as the media - Syracuse was a school with the same kind of problem.

Admittedly, my memory is fuzzy, but was it ever acknowledged nationally, or even regionally, that the two young men recanted? Was Bernie ever publicly absolved? This happened around the time of Penn State and in many basketball fans minds - as well as the media - Syracuse was a school with the same kind of problem.
i don't recall it.

Bernie is still persona non grata on the hill so my guess, knowing absolutely nothing (and i suspect some on here know more than they are letting on) is that Bernie was not abusing those grifters (and wasn't guilty of anything really) but perhaps sun light was the greatest disenfectant and his lifestyle was going to unearth other embarassing features to his persona.

The entire Laurie Fine stuff was always very weird no matter how you shake it.

Again, the entire story was killed by settlements, NDAs and the like. I'm sure Bernie was paid to never mention this again. Why, is the biggest q but the tea leaves suggest something i'm mentioning

Bernie was never charged, tried or convicted of anything. The "accusers" had no credibility and were clearly trying to capitalize on the Penn State story that had just broken. I saw Bernie in Houston in 2016 when we played in the Final Four there. He looked great (had lost a lot of weight), was in good spirits, and was warmly greeted by the Syracuse fans who recognized him. He was clearly happy to be among Syracuse people at a Syracuse basketball game.

He was also at Pearl Washington's funeral service later in 20216, where he sat with a group of former Syracuse players and coaches. Once again, he was warmly embraced by those who knew him

Last edited:
He was never charged, tried or convicted of anything. The two men had no credibility and were clearly trying to capitalize on the Penn State story that had just broken. I saw Bernie in Houston in 2016 when we played in the Final Four there. He looked great (had lost a lot of weight), was in good spirits, and was warmly greeted by the Syracuse fans who recognized him. He was clearly happy to be among Syracuse people at a Syracuse basketball game.
That makes me happy. Was he probably into stuff that some/many may consider "weird?" Probably. But I do not believe he was some sort of predator.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom