JB's Presser after UNC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after UNC

I think White is getting a pass on the board - a few made shots and IMHO some lucky deflections help cover the fact that he is not tough on the glass, and is miserable on D, and strictly a catch and shoot guy.

I think it was our best road effort as well, but our grad transfers need to be better and tougher quite frankly for us to get it done.

There was one play that highlighted this big problem. The white kid had just hit a jumper to put UNC up 10 and we found White isolated on the near elbow with that whole side cleared out.

A Syracuse small forward must be able to make something happen there. That's one of the few things our offense relies on. But White is too slow to get by his guy, can't dribble, and seems to be getting less consistent with his shot. I don't remember exactly what happened, but we didn't score.

Even an average Syracuse wing takes advantage of that clear-out. Kris Joseph, even C.J. - those guys could shoot, maybe get fouled, take a couple dribbles and get a shot at the rim. Unfortunately White is below that skill level.

There are a few warts on this team, that's to be expected. But the system's not going to work when arguably the two most important positions in our offense are filled by grad transfers who are below average. Boeheim brought those guys in to carry the load, but they just don't have it in them. They're role players, and it doesn't help them that their teammates are also role players.

I think White is getting a pass on the board - a few made shots and IMHO some lucky deflections help cover the fact that he is not tough on the glass, and is miserable on D, and strictly a catch and shoot guy.

I think it was our best road effort as well, but our grad transfers need to be better and tougher quite frankly for us to get it done.

My issue with people ripping on White is that they are expecting/were hoping for more. Guy is limited. We knew he would struggle getting to the hoop. He was an okay rebounder at Nebraska- where he played man amongst many smaller players, including his own team. He is performing as advertised. Shooting 40% from three and averaging 3 a game.

What is amazing is we have 3 guys shooting above 40% from 3. It's truly amazing we are in the situation we are in given what we were expecting this year with the "depth" we imagined.

Unreal, really.

It's crazy to me, that White averaged 6 rbs/game for Nebraska last year, and yeah I know he played the 4 a lot, still..

It's crazy to me, that White averaged 6 rbs/game for Nebraska last year, and yeah I know he played the 4 a lot, still..

I'm kind of amazed that he's averaging 4.5 here. Seems like he gets fewer, there's usually one time a game where he elevates to grab one and I say "Wow, that helps," but most of the time it seems like we're playing with fewer guys than the other team.

I'm kind of amazed that he's averaging 4.5 here. Seems like he gets fewer, there's usually one time a game where he elevates to grab one and I say "Wow, that helps," but most of the time it seems like we're playing with fewer guys than the other team.
He does play "small" and I think the fact he pulls in 4.5 per game is mostly a function of the number of minutes he plays.

Thompson also plays small and hasn't made much of an impact on the glass so far at either end; considering he is almost never on the court with Roberson or Coleman (the team's most efficient rebounders on a per minute basis), that is surprising.

The Miami game was the one game where AW truly looked like a man on a mission on the boards and I saw some ferociousness when he was going after them. Other than that, I have to agree that I thought he would bring more in that regard.

My issue with people ripping on White is that they are expecting/were hoping for more. Guy is limited. We knew he would struggle getting to the hoop. He was an okay rebounder at Nebraska- where he played man amongst many smaller players, including his own team. He is performing as advertised. Shooting 40% from three and averaging 3 a game.

What is amazing is we have 3 guys shooting above 40% from 3. It's truly amazing we are in the situation we are in given what we were expecting this year with the "depth" we imagined.

Unreal, really.

Yep. No doubt that I think most here, including JB (especially, based upon his now infamous preseason statement about this team) didn't foresee this. Clearly, it's our putrid guard play and inability against quality competition to make anything happen for us, at least consistently, the biggest detriment.

Chukwu is not an ACC player. Never will be.
Yeesh

He's a freshman, right? And injured early in the season and really badly hurt from what the recuperation period sounds like, ugh. Poor kid.

And how many big men did people on this site trash in the past?

Like pretty much EVERY SINGLE ONE including the Forth/McNeil combo in '03 if I am not mistaken

But how many 7'2" recruits have we had lately, meaning EVER??????

Few if any

You can't teach height

Honestly, this site needs more women REALLY BADLY to add not only empathy but just basic common sense and less spoiled brat syndrome

Not that a lot of women aren't spoiled brats too

Still there are probably less than a dozen regular female posters here but I'll bet a lot of lurkers who just don't want to be probably disparaged by RUDE guys when the woman has a different perspective or God forbid gets a fact wrong

Come on out of hiding, all you nice and devoted SU basketball fans and try to civilize this place which has backslid into you know what ism because heaven forbid the few under 18s here see the word s e X without spaces!

I'd volunteer to be a moderator but I have way too much to do now that I'm on disability and I don't mean playing video games or videos or watching reality tv or even sports.

That's a koan, people.

Definition of KOAN

Chukwu caught the ball under the hoop and whipped it to the corner, out of bounds for a turnover. Pretty much the only play I'll remember of his this year. No, he wouldn't have mattered at all. Size doesn't mean a thing if you just don't have the skill for what you need the size for. Not at this level. That said, hope he works really hard this offseason (and now). His eye is better, right?
So you only remember one bad play of someone's?

May the important people in your life do the exact same thing for you.

And in life you never know who might be important for your future.

Popcorn and soda

Yeesh

He's a freshman, right? And injured early in the season and really badly hurt from what the recuperation period sounds like, ugh. Poor kid.

Like pretty much EVERY SINGLE ONE including the Forth/McNeil combo in '03 if I am not mistaken

Few if any

You can't teach height

Honestly, this site needs more women REALLY BADLY to add not only empathy but just basic common sense and less spoiled brat syndrome

Still there are probably less than a dozen regular female posters here but I'll bet a lot of lurkers who just don't want to be probably disparaged by RUDE guys when the woman has a different perspective or God forbid gets a fact wrong

Come on out of hiding, all you nice and devoted SU basketball fans and try to civilize this place which has backslid into you know what ism because heaven forbid the few under 18s here see the word s e X without spaces!

I'd volunteer to be a moderator but I have way too much to do now that I'm on disability and I don't mean playing video games or videos or watching reality tv or even sports.

That's a koan, people.

Definition of KOAN

He's a third year sophomore. That means that he's three years into his development curve, and hasn't shown much progress.

That's significantly different from him being a freshman at the same skill / physical maturity level.

Yeesh

Few if any

You can't teach height

That's a koan, people.

Definition of KOAN
He is not a freshman. He's actually in his third year of college. He transferred after his freshman season at Providence. He attended SU last year and believe it or not, practiced with our team the entire year!

So yeah, he wasn't good before his eye got hurt. I am not expecting much from his SU career.

He's a third year sophomore. That means that he's three years into his development curve, and hasn't shown much progress.

That's significantly different from him being a freshman at the same skill / physical maturity level.
But didn't he redshirt one season? And be injured early in this one?

And how much playing time did he see DURING GAMES in whatever season he was healthy?

There's a reason I thought he was a freshman. Because he must not have gotten much more playing time during real games than the walk ons.

And you just CANNOT reasonably expect to up your level of game in the ACC or anywhere really if you only play significant minutes against your teammates including the walk ons.

You need proper competition for that kind of improvement

But didn't he redshirt one season? And be injured early in this one?

And how much playing time did he see DURING GAMES in whatever season he was healthy?

There's a reason I thought he was a freshman. Because he must not have gotten much more playing time during real games than the walk ons.

And you just CANNOT reasonably expect to up your level of game in the ACC or anywhere really if you only play significant minutes against your teammates including the walk ons.

You need proper competition for that kind of improvement

He played at Providence as a freshman in a reserve capacity, behind a productive senior center. He had the normal ups and downs you'd expect from a developmental big acclimating to the collegiate level that season.

He sat out last year and practiced with our team. The redshirt year also gave him a chance to hit the weights and mature physically, but he didn't add any appreciable weight [220 pounds stretched over a 7-2 frame].

No argument that game competition CAN help players develop, but so can practice. And thus far, this third year sophomore hasn't shown much by way of improvement. And if he doesn't improve, then he won't get PT down the road. So it is a vicious cycle.

He is not a freshman. He's actually in his third year of college. He transferred after his freshman season at Providence. He attended SU last year and believe it or not, practiced with our team the entire year!

So yeah, he wasn't good before his eye got hurt. I am not expecting much from his SU career.
Ok I stand corrected in that he wasn't originally recruited by SU or in any case was accepted as a transfer student

WELL MY DEAR FRIENDS HERE AND I MEAN THE MEN

If JB didn't think he would be an asset to the team then why would he waste a scholarship on him and a mandatory NCAA redshirt year?

Because maybe he is 7'2" and again when is the last time that happened that the program had a player that tall?

And please read the article I'm linking because it says he ORIGINALLY was smacked in the eye in mid-November and wore goggles as a result until the second, nastier injury

Syracuse basketball center Paschal Chukwu has eye surgery Saturday morning

I think both Chukwu and I will deserve apologies afterwards but I'm not placing bets that I'll get them because for some people ( women too) it's very hard to say I'm sorry; ergo admitting you were wrong

But more often for men than women because women are SOCIALIZED to take the blame because we are ladies or ought to be.

Face it guys: This board has just turned into a combination of Logic 101 and Feminist Studies 101, with a large dose of Introduction to Mass Communications and American History 101

Etc

You don't like it, ban me.

Insult me or try to, because I've done stand up comedy for 25 years and just because I'm not a household name doesn't mean I'm not very good at it. And come up with retorts pretty darn quickly

Or just put me on ignore and then I'll just be dealing with the NICE AND REASONABLE men and women here.

Whatever.

JB's best presser of the season. Especially for a road game we just got beat. Insightful, humble, even tempered. He's making progress.

Ok I stand corrected in that he wasn't originally recruited by SU or in any case was accepted as a transfer student

WELL MY DEAR FRIENDS HERE AND I MEAN THE MEN

If JB didn't think he would be an asset to the team then why would he waste a scholarship on him and a mandatory NCAA redshirt year?

Because maybe he is 7'2" and again when is the last time that happened that the program had a player that tall?

And please read the article I'm linking because it says he ORIGINALLY was smacked in the eye in mid-November and wore goggles as a result until the second, nastier injury

Syracuse basketball center Paschal Chukwu has eye surgery Saturday morning

I think both Chukwu and I will deserve apologies afterwards but I'm not placing bets that I'll get them because for some people ( women too) it's very hard to say I'm sorry; ergo admitting you were wrong

But more often for men than women because women are SOCIALIZED to take the blame because we are ladies or ought to be.

Face it guys: This board has just turned into a combination of Logic 101 and Feminist Studies 101, with a large dose of Introduction to Mass Communications and American History 101

Etc

You don't like it, ban me.

Insult me or try to, because I've done stand up comedy for 25 years and just because I'm not a household name doesn't mean I'm not very good at it. And come up with retorts pretty darn quickly

Or just put me on ignore and then I'll just be dealing with the NICE AND REASONABLE men and women here.

Whatever.
Great question about why JB wasted the scholarship. I don't have an answer for that one. Likely thought the kid would progress much more than he has.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea why you seem to be offended by me providing you additional information, but that seems to be more about you than it is about my response.

Great question about why JB wasted the scholarship. I don't have an answer for that one. Likely thought the kid would progress much more than he has.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea why you seem to be offended by me providing you additional information, but that seems to be more about you than it is about my response.
Exactly why do you think Chuckwu failed to make progress please

You read the article linked in the middle of the rant, right?

He played at Providence as a freshman in a reserve capacity, behind a productive senior center. He had the normal ups and downs you'd expect from a developmental big acclimating to the collegiate level that season.

He sat out last year and practiced with our team. The redshirt year also gave him a chance to hit the weights and mature physically, but he didn't add any appreciable weight [220 pounds stretched over a 7-2 frame].

No argument that game competition CAN help players develop, but so can practice. And thus far, this third year sophomore hasn't shown much by way of improvement. And if he doesn't improve, then he won't get PT down the road. So it is a vicious cycle.
Thanks RF for the rundown.

May I again point out that article I linked said he was injured in an eye in early November and had to wear safety glasses

Whatever progress he made was probably to a great extent negated by both the injury and needing the glasses which are awkward. So you can't say what his numbers might have been absent those factors.

Exactly why do you think Chuckwu failed to make progress please

You read the article linked in the middle of the rant, right?

My observations of his play prior to his injury. I really think one of the big things we brought him in for was to be the defensive stopper on the press, but his play there is just terrible. He let himself get pulled all the way above half-court leading to an easy dunk in one game I recall. The other play in question, he (as a 7'2" basketball player) got the ball directly under the basket and instead of throwing down what I would have to imagine is an easy dunk, he threw the ball into the corner, hoping White (I believe) was going to shoot a 3. Except White was on the wing, and not in the corner, so the ball screamed out of bounds untouched. His play does not in any way indicate he's been with the team for more than a full year, which is likely one of the reasons you thought he was a freshman as well I'm guessing.

Thanks RF for the rundown.

May I again point out that article I linked said he was injured in an eye in early November and had to wear safety glasses

Whatever progress he made was probably to a great extent negated by both the injury and needing the glasses which are awkward. So you can't say what his numbers might have been absent those factors.

So many interesting cats on this board

My observations of his play prior to his injury. I really think one of the big things we brought him in for was to be the defensive stopper on the press, but his play there is just terrible. He let himself get pulled all the way above half-court leading to an easy dunk in one game I recall. The other play in question, he (as a 7'2" basketball player) got the ball directly under the basket and instead of throwing down what I would have to imagine is an easy dunk, he threw the ball into the corner, hoping White (I believe) was going to shoot a 3. Except White was on the wing, and not in the corner, so the ball screamed out of bounds untouched. His play does not in any way indicate he's been with the team for more than a full year, which is likely one of the reasons you thought he was a freshman as well I'm guessing.
Exactly. But if you know, how many games did he actually play prior to that first one in mid November where his eye was initially hurt.

It's not something you need to do research about. Just if you remember please

Exactly. But if you know, how many games did he actually play prior to that first one in mid November where his eye was initially hurt.

It's not something you need to do research about. Just if you remember please

They show only one other game, Colgate. They do not show stats for the two exhibition games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom