JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t put into words how happy I would be if Pitino was the move after JB

Also, idk why but I cannot stand Willard
Slick over Gmac Hop or Autry but won’t happen

Agree 100%.
Agree with what? Hop's performance at UW has had great and bad just like Belichick's previous performance before the Pats

Don't forget...… Belichick had a bad start with Cleveland. You don't let a bad W/L season or two with Washington diminish your opinion of Hopkins imo.

How many times have we heard the same reasoning on the football forum during various coaches tenures?

Agree with what? Hop's performance at UW has had great and bad just like Belichick's previous performance before the Pats

Not difficult to figure out, since I quoted the post I was responding to.

And not sure what you seem so baffled about, given that you referred to exactly what I was agreeing with. Right, wrong, or indifferent -- Hop's performance in aggregate will be assessed / factor into any hiring decision.

That's what people say, but it is completely unsubstantiated. And, I think false, given what I've heard about JB approaching Wildhack with a second succession plan after Hop departed.

I believe that JW puts on a deferential front publicly with respect to Boeheim, but I don't think that when JB is going to step down, he'll call the shots. The only way JB determines who the next head coach will be is if he pulls a Dean Smith, and temporarily locks us in for a year to someone in house. And the key word there would be "temporary." And it would be a colossal dick move on JB's part.

Hire the best, most qualified candidate you can. Period.

I understand how it's "unsubstantiated", but JB called his own retirement date when the heat was on him, then got Wildhack to remove the "forced" retirement. JB will most certainly have a call in this just like John Thompson did at Georgetown.

yeah I'm not here to question anyone's substantiated info, just more the common sense of what transpires with major hoops/fball programs when a legendary coach retires - those coaches, pretty much invariably, have enormous egos along with enormous ownership - thus they have enormous need to do everything in their power to have majority say as to whom their successor is...
numerous examples over the years, some of which under the watch of AD's with greater due-diligence intentions than JW now

(and I'm also not here to say what I've described is necessarily a good thing)

I understand how it's "unsubstantiated", but JB called his own retirement date when the heat was on him, then got Wildhack to remove the "forced" retirement. JB will most certainly have a call in this just like John Thompson did at Georgetown.

JB was somewhat "forced" to call his own retirement date, to attempt to placate the NCAA.

Which failed miserably, as we still got slammed.

So, after he got to experience what his post-hoops life would be like during that 9 game suspension, he decided that he wasn't ready to go.
JW agreed with him, and so Hop, hopped - since he didn't want to be the cause of 'forcing' his mentor and father-figure out the door.

And yet... Hop has recruited well at UW
i think that's debatable
he recruited well at syracuse, and had success in getting a lot of those guys to follow him to seattle

but with that well running dry, his recruiting for u-dub is quite underwhelmig

i think that's debatable
he recruited well at syracuse, and had success in getting a lot of those guys to follow him to seattle

but with that well running dry, his recruiting for u-dub is quite underwhelmig
The longer he stays out west, the drier the east coast recruiting well gets. The last thing we need is for Hop to get the nod here, but with all of his recruiting ties either gone or seriously depleted. Something to consider as well.

The longer he stays out west, the drier the east coast recruiting well gets. The last thing we need is for Hop to get the nod here, but with all of his recruiting ties either gone or seriously depleted. Something to consider as well.
Hopefully the staff he inherits here has recruiting humming when Hop takes over

Pitino would be awesome. You should want who you hate facing. He is an incredible coach - everything else I couldn't care less about

Pitino would be awesome. You should want who you hate facing. He is an incredible coach - everything else I couldn't care less about
I'm sure there are other incredible coaches we would hate to have to face but who also don't carry the baggage that scumbag Pitino has.

Carolina is going to do the same thing.
They will pick the Stanford coach or Hubert Davis who are Roy Williams guys.
I know he played for Roy at Kansas but he's not a Carolina guy. It could be Hubert but I still think they go biggest name they can get. Perhaps take a run at Few or Jay Wright.

every east coaster he got, he made the initial connection because he repped syracuse & jb, and those brands bring with them a lot of weight & open a lot of doors, even in down times. u-dub hasn't nearly the brand strength and while hop has a great rep among recruitniks, his name is not in boeheim's league as a brand

Last edited:
You might care less, but I guarantee the University wants ZERO part of Pitino. He will have cost Louisville to be hit with major sanctions twice. SU wanted to force JB out after his second round with the NCAA. They aren’t going to go near anyone with NCAA transgressions.

I know he played for Roy at Kansas but he's not a Carolina guy. It could be Hubert but I still think they go biggest name they can get. Perhaps take a run at Few or Jay Wright.
Haase isn’t the favorite but he will be a candidate if he turns Stanford around.
He was at Carolina for 9 years and is Roy’s guy.
He might prefer Kansas to Carolina when Self gets popped.

Don't forget...… Belichick had a bad start with Cleveland. You don't let a bad W/L season or two with Washington diminish your opinion of Hopkins imo.
It's really not as bad as people think. He had a couple of 7-9 seasons in a very tough division. He had an 11 win season and is the only Browns coach to win a playoff game in 30 years. Then Modell pulled the rug out from under him.

Haase isn’t the favorite but he will be a candidate if he turns Stanford around.
He was at Carolina for 9 years and is Roy’s guy.
He might prefer Kansas to Carolina when Self gets popped.
He will be in the mix. But this is Carolina you have to believe they are thinking bigger.

He will be in the mix. But this is Carolina you have to believe they are thinking bigger.
There aren’t many elite young coaches anymore.
The older generation have sucked the oxygen out of the room and college basketball has become less relevant nationally during its season.
The best young coaches are guys like Jay Wright, Tony Bennett and Mark Few, Chris Beard.

Beard is rumored to be waiting for Kansas.
Few and Wright won’t leave their schools.
Bennett isn’t leaving UVA for another college job.
That is why these jobs replacing a legend isn’t easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom