JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good observation.
If it were JB's pick, I have very little doubt it would be Gerry - who is probably the least prepared.
If GMac isn’t the associate HC he shouldn’t even get an interview for the SU job.

I don’t care if Hopkins goes 1-25 this year and 0-31 next year he is always be a candidate than GMac without him getting another HC job first.

If GMac isn’t the associate HC he shouldn’t even get an interview for the SU job.

I don’t care if Hopkins goes 1-25 this year and 0-31 next year he is always be a candidate than GMac without him getting another HC job first.
Any theories out there why Gmac is in the conversation as HCIW? Some people clearly seem to think he is. I wonder where this comes from. To be clear, I am not questioning whether Gmac should or should not be a candidate. That's a different debate.

There aren’t many elite young coaches anymore.
The older generation have sucked the oxygen out of the room and college basketball has become less relevant nationally during its season.
The best young coaches are guys like Jay Wright, Tony Bennett and Mark Few, Chris Beard.

Beard is rumored to be waiting for Kansas.
Few and Wright won’t leave their schools.
Bennett isn’t leaving UVA for another college job.
That is why these jobs replacing a legend isn’t easy.
Few and Wright are probably not leaving. If UNC is open I can't see Beard turning it down. Same goes for Bennett.

Few and Wright are probably not leaving. If UNC is open I can't see Beard turning it down. Same goes for Bennett.
Bennett is not leaving UVA for UNC.
He can get any player he wants at Virginia than he could at North Carolina.
He creates his own legacy at UVA and UVA fans are way more patience than UNC fans.

Beard if he keeps Texas Tech relevant will get an elite job. I think it’s Kansas since he likes living in the Southwest.

Any theories out there why Gmac is in the conversation as HCIW? Some people clearly seem to think he is. I wonder where this comes from. To be clear, I am not questioning whether Gmac should or should not be a candidate. That's a different debate.
I trust RF.
I think JB wants GMac. So he probably tried to get it done and JW said no.
GMac shouldn’t even be a candidate for the SU job if he is the number 2 assistant when JB retires.

Bennett is not leaving UVA for UNC.
He can get any player he wants at Virginia than he could at North Carolina.
He creates his own legacy at UVA and UVA fans are way more patience than UNC fans.

Beard if he keeps Texas Tech relevant will get an elite job. I think it’s Kansas since he likes living in the Southwest.
Unc is an elite job. Would you rather live in Chapel Hill nc or Lawrence Kansas?

I trust RF.
GMac shouldn’t even be a candidate for the SU job if he is the number 2 assistant when JB retires.
Got it, thanks Al. I completely blanked on RF's observations. I absolutely trust RF.

Few is a real Longshot but the call has to be made. JMO, and he's also the best coach west of Auburn, NY and that includes the state of Washington.
Few is like JB. He will be a lifer at Gonzaga.

Few is like JB. He will be a lifer at Gonzaga.
the one thing is that few has a strong personal relationship with jb. i agree he'll never leave, but i think he'll take the call - especially if jb made it himself

I trust RF.
There’s likely going to be a few jobs opening up after the season that might be interested in a few of the assistants.
  • Manhattan - heard mid-way through last year that they were ready to move on from Masiello, but decided to keep him because of COVID uncertainty. Red could be a good candidate there because of his City roots. It’s not a bad job, but it’s not a good job either.
  • Fordham - this one is definitely opening up after their coach’s contract expires at the end of the year. This place is a mess and just got a new AD who will want to make a splash. Red might get considered, but no top assistant is going to take that job. Mike Rice might resurface there as a way to get back into CBB.
  • Binghamton - the program has really struggled in recent years after looking like it was turning a corner. Decent location for someone who can steal a recruit here or there. I think it would be an interesting spot for Gerry because of its proximity to Syracuse, Scranton and NYC.
  • Iona - if Slick Rick moves on to bigger and better things after the season, this may open up. It would be a really nice, win quick spot for Red, who could really do some great things recruiting there. Iona has no problem with JUCOs or ex-felons suiting up, so 4-year kids would be a huge step up.
  • Bucknell - they were down a little bit last year, but Davis has a really strong coaching record and another good season could have him become a candidate for a few mid-major gigs. This would be another interesting opportunity for Gerry, but in an academic conference like the patriot league, getting impact recruits might be a tough sell.
It will be interesting to see if one of the assistants takes the risk to try to steer their own team after Hop’s experience. There could be some good opportunities to get HC experience.

There’s likely going to be a few jobs opening up after the season that might be interested in a few of the assistants.
  • Manhattan - heard mid-way through last year that they were ready to move on from Masiello, but decided to keep him because of COVID uncertainty. Red could be a good candidate there because of his City roots. It’s not a bad job, but it’s not a good job either.
  • Fordham - this one is definitely opening up after their coach’s contract expires at the end of the year. This place is a mess and just got a new AD who will want to make a splash. Red might get considered, but no top assistant is going to take that job. Mike Rice might resurface there as a way to get back into CBB.
  • Binghamton - the program has really struggled in recent years after looking like it was turning a corner. Decent location for someone who can steal a recruit here or there. I think it would be an interesting spot for Gerry because of its proximity to Syracuse, Scranton and NYC.
  • Iona - if Slick Rick moves on to bigger and better things after the season, this may open up. It would be a really nice, win quick spot for Red, who could really do some great things recruiting there. Iona has no problem with JUCOs or ex-felons suiting up, so 4-year kids would be a huge step up.
  • Bucknell - they were down a little bit last year, but Davis has a really strong coaching record and another good season could have him become a candidate for a few mid-major gigs. This would be another interesting opportunity for Gerry, but in an academic conference like the patriot league, getting impact recruits might be a tough sell.
It will be interesting to see if one of the assistants takes the risk to try to steer their own team after Hop’s experience. There could be some good opportunities to get HC experience.
I would hope our guys get a chance at a HC job.
They are due for an opportunity.

I wanted GMac to get the Siena job years ago as I thought it was a spot for him they went internal and the selection did a good job.

Our guys deserve a shot. The MAAC would be a spot for them to prove it.

Gerry will never leave the womb. Its SU or the Academy. Hes a lifer

after watching e.d.'s latest podcast, i think if one of our guys does move up, i'd love to see jb try to entice jason hart back east.

I can tell you I’ve heard the JB / GMAC story as well from two separate people who would be in a position to know.
Thanks, Jake. There seems to be a lot of smoke here with Gmac. Hop's name also comes up a lot from connected insiders.

Add UMass to that list. I think Red could kill recruiting in the A10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors