JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you say it doesn't make it anywhere remotely close to the truth.

One person and one person only will be making the decision on the next HC, and that is John Wildhack. Period.

Will he take input from others, including JB? Of course. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't. But he also wouldn't be doing his job if he let JB handpick the next coach. Your argument comes down to what you want to happen. But what you want to happen isn't what is going to happen.

{queue 6 more posts telling me I don't know what I'm talking about because 1) he's a legend; 2) I don't live there so I don't know; 3) the well-heeled alumni won't stand for anyone but JB making the decision; 4) etc. etc. etc.}
Spot on.

Any B1G coach except Nebraska will be good. Will dominate ACC even UNC and Duke. But most of them won't want this job. Our best chance is Richard Pitino.

Any B1G coach except Nebraska will be good. Will dominate ACC even UNC and Duke. But most of them won't want this job. Our best chance is Richard Pitino.
Pitino is a name.
He has been at Minnesota now his 8th year and only made the tournament 2 times.

I would go after Ed Cooley before Pitino.
Cooley hasn’t won much in the tournament either but he has gotten there a lot more times than Pitino.

I don’t think we are going outside of the family though.
Hopkins, Autry.

Unless GMac leaves after this year and shows he can do it as a HC.
Pitino went 18-14 at FIU and used his family name to get the Minnesota and job I don’t think Minnesota has gotten its investment paid off.

Pitino is a name.
He has been at Minnesota now his 8th year and only made the tournament 2 times.

I would go after Ed Cooley before Pitino.
Cooley hasn’t won much in the tournament either but he has gotten there a lot more times than Pitino.

I don’t think we are going outside of the family though.
Hopkins, Autry.

Unless GMac leaves after this year and shows he can do it as a HC.
Pitino went 18-14 at FIU and used his family name to get the Minnesota and job I don’t think Minnesota has gotten its investment paid off.
He's 38 years old. Minny looks solid this year and that job is no cherry.

He's 38 years old. Minny looks solid this year and that job is no cherry.
You can win at any Big Ten job except Rutgers pre-Pikiel or Northwestern.

Minnesota made the Final Four in 1996 under Clem Haskins.

It’s not an elite job but it’s a not dead end job.
Pitino is leaving off his dad’s resume.

He hasn’t shown anything and Minnesota has been patient.

Last edited:
You can win at any Big Ten job except Rutgers pre-Pelion or Northwestern.

Minn has been to 14 NCAA's, RP has 2 of them, probably a 3rd this year. I can not ever remember them being B1G elite, or even close.

Minn has been to 14 NCAA's, RP has 2 of them, probably a 3rd this year. I can not ever remember them being B1G elite, or even close.
Bobby Jackson from the late 90’s/early 00’s Kings bench led Minnesota to the Final Four.
They were a 1 seed. Lost to Kentucky in the final four.

Bobby Jackson from the late 90’s/early 00’s Kings bench led Minnesota to the Final Four.
They were a 1 seed. Lost to Kentucky in the final four.

One hit wonder. Very hard to get recruits there to compete against a tough league.

B1G elite are Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana. Now it adds Rutgers and Maryland. I don't see any coach leave these schools for Syracuse. Iowa and Purdue are the same level as us. That leaves us few options if we want to snatch a B1G coach like Minnesota or Northwestern. Maybe Purdue or Iowa if we are willing to pay very much.

B1G elite are Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana. Now it adds Rutgers and Maryland. I don't see any coach leave these schools for Syracuse. Iowa and Purdue are the same level as us. That leaves us few options if we want to snatch a B1G coach like Minnesota or Northwestern. Maybe Purdue or Iowa if we are willing to pay very much.
I don't think we would really want any of those coaches. But, you don't think we could get Rutgers' coach if we wanted him after JB retires?

Their are only 2 Big Ten coaches i would want and Izzo is too old and will never leave. I cannot disagree any more with this post. This is worse than the OP talking about fing Willard.

People don’t get it.
College basketball isn’t college football where only the elite of the elite can win the NC.
In basketball you can win anywhere if you develop success.
Boeheim made Syracuse a good job.
Calhoun made UConn a good job.
Rollie made Villanova a good job.
Thompson made Georgetown a good job.
Olson made Arizona a good job.
Izzo made Michigan State a good job.

Outside of Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and now Duke because their handler alumni do all the dirty work for K the rest of the jobs are all subjective.

Purdue has an alum as coach.
Michigan has an alum as coach.
Iowa isn’t going to sustain this year. They are riding great roster management and luck.
Unlike Dayton last year they hope to get their March chance.

Syracuse will hire what is a good fit for Syracuse.

Richard Pitino isn’t the guy.

We don't want or need any of them. They play at pace and style that Izzo has dictated for years. The Dixon style. That is not what most of us want at all. Our tempo is starting to get back to where it belongs. Nobody wants these type of coaches but you're full of it if you think they wouldn't come here. Its nonsense.

You can win at any Big Ten job except Rutgers pre-Pikiel or Northwestern.

97 was the Final Four trip.96 was Umass,UK,Miss St and of course the Cuse.

We don't want or need any of them. They play at pace and style that Izzo has dictated for years. The Dixon style. That is not what most of us want at all. Our tempo is starting to get back to where it belongs. Nobody wants these type of coaches but you're full of it if you think they wouldn't come here. Its nonsense.
You don’t think anybody would want Tony Bennett? His tempo isn’t exactly the Showtime Lakers. Can’t see him leaving UVA, but I’d back up the Brinks truck for that guy.

If the team is doing quite well in whatever JB's last year is I'd push my chips on red and Red. If not then outside the current payroll.
Yup. If The pecking order is still the same and HOP says no and GMAC vaults RED consider that my last SU game as a fan. He’s a tremendous recruiter and will be a great game day coach

Yup. If The pecking order is still the same and HOP says no and GMAC vaults RED consider that my last SU game as a fan. He’s a tremendous recruiter and will be a great game day coach
maybe he’s itchin to jump when a feasible opening pops up within next couple yrs?

This is exactly what I feel.
GMac is the only person who can legit turn me off as a fan if he is the next SU HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom