Jerome Smith leaving for NFL? | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith leaving for NFL?

Um I thought he already said he was coming back?

Something must have changed his mind in a short amount of time. He was hanging out with shady mccoy and brinkley. Maybe they told him to just leave. Who knows

he was the surprise along with 2 others who don't really play. on top of Manley and Washington

he was the surprise along with 2 others who don't really play. on top of Manley and Washington

Not a surprise. Just because a kid says he's coming back in November doesn't mean he's really coming back. Happens all the time on the basketball side.

I'm guessing Kinder and Hale are the others?

This is a mistake in my opinion but in regards to having depth we should be good. I am really looking forward to seeing GMII as a full time back.

I can't blame the kid. He will have his degree, and at this point of his career he is what he is. The more wear and tear on running backs hurts your value. By him staying another year it isn't going to raise his draft stock. FA or late round running backs catch on all the time, especially if he has a good pro day. Selfishly I would love to have him back, but I do not knock his decision

Not a surprise. Just because a kid says he's coming back in November doesn't mean he's really coming back. Happens all the time on the basketball side.

I'm guessing Kinder and Hale are the others?

Rene

good for him- if thats what he wants and has graduated im happy for him

Maybe he said he was staying then got back the results for the NFL draft advisory people and it was too good to turn down?

he used a red shirt this season

And all this time I thought he didn't play because we had better RB's and returners ahead of him. :D

64 returnees right now = 21 recruits.

Hickey and Kinder would leave room for 23.

Just as you predicted. 23-24 player recruiting class. Or bigger.

And all this time I thought he didn't play because we had better RB's and returners ahead of him. :D

64 returnees right now = 21 recruits.

Hickey and Kinder would leave room for 23.

Just as you predicted. 23-24 player recruiting class. Or bigger.

I was cheating :)

Rene
So that leaves one more. I don't care to specaluate, but the loss could be potentially painful. Could also be a bummer to lose a player, but not a huge deal roster wise.

It was pretty evident that McDonald did not see Jerome Smith the way we did. I along with everyone else thought he needed more playing time and carries. I started to realize towards the end of the year that McDonald saw things differently. I believe this was in part to the fact that Jerome Smith was not very good in the passing game, always struggled to catch the ball effectively out of the back field. This made the offense almost 1 dimensional when he was in the game. The opposing team knew it was most likely going to be a run. With PTG and GMIII, they are a threat in both the passing game and running game. Jerome either got good news from the advisory board or was strongly advised by the staff to look further into the draft because GMIII was going to get a ton of playing time next year. I wish Jerome all the best and hope he tears up the NFL.

It was pretty evident that McDonald did not see Jerome Smith the way we did. I along with everyone else thought he needed more playing time and carries. I started to realize towards the end of the year that McDonald saw things differently. I believe this was in part to the fact that Jerome Smith was not very good in the passing game, always struggled to catch the ball effectively out of the back field. This made the offense almost 1 dimensional when he was in the game. The opposing team knew it was most likely going to be a run. With PTG and GMIII, they are a threat in both the passing game and running game. Jerome either got good news from the advisory board or was strongly advised by the staff to look further into the draft because GMIII was going to get a ton of playing time next year. I wish Jerome all the best and hope he tears up the NFL.

you also can look at it like Jerome making the best decision for himself. He practices with Morris and McFarland every day he can see what they do. It's not like Smith wouldn't have got carries next year, but he could have seen a cut into his workload, which ultimately effects production. His value could have been maximized right now. Who knows what was discussed, but for the kid I don't doubt his decision. I am sure he and Shafer had a long talk about it.

Best of luck, Jerome. Hope you are making the right decision.

you also can look at it like Jerome making the best decision for himself. He practices with Morris and McFarland every day he can see what they do. It's not like Smith wouldn't have got carries next year, but he could have seen a cut into his workload, which ultimately effects production. His value could have been maximized right now. Who knows what was discussed, but for the kid I don't doubt his decision. I am sure he and Shafer had a long talk about it.

Completely agree with this. Best of luck to him- hopefully he can find a spot like Alfred Morris did.

I wish him well, whether he stays or leaves. I could never help but compare him to Delone Carter, similar weight and running style. I was quite confident Delone would be a regular in the NFL if not a starter, and to see the struggles for playing time he has faced, I worry about Jerome's ability to stick in the league. Jerome is taller and may be a bit faster so I hope he makes it.

Never thought I'd say this but we'll be fine without him. It's a real shame that he's leaving though.