Jerome Smith leaving for NFL? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith leaving for NFL?

again, how do we know hes not taking his cleats and going to wisconsin or something??

i think that option is kinda cool.

and if i had no shot at the NFL, why wouldnt i want to give another school a shot?

OttoinGrotto said:
Disagree. Erv's fine. Next year is the year to go all out for a top runningback or two.

Erv hasn't even qualified yet. I won't be surprised if he doesn't. If Morris suffers an injury next year (remember, he was out about five games last season) we're down to Gulley and McFarlane, and I'm not as high on McFarlane as I once was. Never have enough running backs.

I don't see it. Everything I've read has him in the slot or as an H back. He really isn't that big.

He maybe moved but theres a logjam at Hback right now and as it stands hes our only RB recruit in two years. Cant imagine hes not slated to play RB. If he really isnt our staff is in big trouble.

Whitey23 said:
I don't see it. Everything I've read has him in the slot or as an H back. He really isn't that big.

You're right, he's really a slot or H back. But he does have 20 pounds on Cordell Hudson. Wink, wink.

again, how do we know hes not taking his cleats and going to wisconsin or something??

and if i had no shot at the NFL, why wouldnt i want to give another school a shot?

He's the "player to be named later" in the Drew Allen trade. ;)

AB can always play RB in a pinch. No doubt he can run and if he learns blocking assignments he is good to go. I wonder is there is another Estime except RB this time in the wings? Or, maybe their is a flip coming.

McDonald has been grooming GMII and RunDMC all season. Either he suspected Rome was going pro or he was just preparing for the future.

Good call. That might be in play.

Syracuse Football ‏@syrfootball 55s
#Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer confirms that RB Jerome Smith will declare for #NFL Draft. "He just felt it was his time," Shafer said.

Syracuse Football ‏@syrfootball 55s
#Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer confirms that RB Jerome Smith will declare for #NFL Draft. "He just felt it was his time," Shafer said.

Well at least that's some level of confirmation. Obviously he got his grade report back from the draft people and he must have heard he is ready to be drafted.

It's his call, I don't think the program is all that broken up, and Adonis and Broyld are still options as well. The program isn't lacking for potential ball carriers. WVU put Austin at TB, way to get Estime touches if that is the way they wanted to go.

Like most everyone else,I was almost always saying why don't we give it to Rome more? It's becoming more obvious to me anyway that McDonald wants to run a fast paced pass first offense,with rb's that are more like wr's in the backfield. It's the modern day NCAA football format. He doesn't want a ground and pound,run,run,pass offense. If Jerome doesn't come back,we'll still be fine. With that said,I'd love to see him wearing orange one more year,just for the experience factor. I thought Delone Carter was going to be a good nfl back. He never really got a chance,and I don't think he's caught on anywhere? I think Delone is a better rb than Jerome is. Jerome is going to have an uphill battle to fight if he does go pro. Either way I wish him luck and hope he has one big game left in him for us!
Like most everyone else,I was almost always saying why don't we give it to Rome more? It's becoming more obvious to me anyway that McDonald wants to run a fast paced pass first offense,with rb's that are more like wr's in the backfield. It's the modern day NCAA football format. He doesn't want a ground and pound,run,run,pass offense. If Jerome doesn't come back,we'll still be fine. With that said,I'd love to see him wearing orange one more year,just for the experience factor. I thought Delone Carter was going to be a good nfl back. He never really got a chance,and I don't think he's caught on anywhere? I think Delone is a better rb than Jerome is. Jerome is going to have an uphill battle to fight if he does go pro. Either way I wish him luck and hope he has one big game left in him for us!
This. And would explain why he wasn't exactly begged to come back.

Big time qualifying issues with Erv, theres a decent chance he doesnt make it to campus next fall. We cant go into the season with only 3rbs especially when one of them has a history of injuries.

Just trying to do the math here... PTG, GMIII, McF, AAM, Erv. Five?

Since nothing was mentioned about Hickey I hope that means he's coming back. We'll see.

Jerome had some great runs this year. GMII has better speed & agility, but it's to be seen if he can run through his tacklers.

I would love to see Rome pound the p ss out of Minny next week. Great way to end his career at SU. Best of luck, Jerome--we'll miss you!

Jerome had some great runs this year. GMII has better speed & agility, but it's to be seen if he can run through his tacklers.
He has run very hard this year when contacted. Rarely goes down quickly. He has actually looked pretty darn strong and determined, getting extra yards in traffic.

Good luck to Rome. Hope he gets a shot. Gonna miss his talent. Anxious to see Morris but I don't see it as a win win type thing like others do. As much as I love Morris I'd rather have our 2 year leading rusher and leading TD guy back next year. We'd be better with all of them.

cuseguy said:
Erv hasn't even qualified yet. I won't be surprised if he doesn't. If Morris suffers an injury next year (remember, he was out about five games last season) we're down to Gulley and McFarlane, and I'm not as high on McFarlane as I once was. Never have enough running backs.

Why is that? McFarlane is averaging the most yards per touch out of all the backs.

Honestly curious.

Why is that? McFarlane is averaging the most yards per touch out of all the backs.

Honestly curious.

Me personally, I think that Devante might be better than GM2, just sayin.

Me personally, I think that Devante might be better than GM2, just sayin.

I like the fact that both are very good and hopefully we can continue this debate for the next 3 years as the two of them are going to be productive rb's.

I like the fact that both are very good and hopefully we can continue this debate for the next 3 years as the two of them are going to be productive rb's.

I am looking forward to it as well. It sure beats talking about not having a back to speak of, we now have 3 established RB's.