Jerome Smith leaving for NFL? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome Smith leaving for NFL?

Best case scenario for all parties involved. Very excited for the GMII era to commence.

Best of luck to Jerome, he had a nice career here and will always be thought of fondly as one of the key players during the awakening from the Grob nightmare

Not sure it's a right or wrong decision. He's not a pro. He'll find out soon enough.

Not sure it's a right or wrong decision. He's not a pro. He'll find out soon enough.
So, with degree in hand, he can go get a job (if any existed for college grads in this economy)

Best case scenario for all parties involved. Very excited for the GMII era to commence.

I disagree that losing a player and person the quality of Jerome Smith is a best case scenario for us. I do wish him luck and hope we can get AAM back to give us a power back.

In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't hurt us TOO much because we have so much depth at RB, but where it causes trouble is in the fact that we now have no sort of versatility when it comes to our RBs. By that I mean our top three backs are all the same types of runners, no differing styles and certainly no power back in the bunch.

I disagree that losing a player and person the quality of Jerome Smith is a best case scenario for us. I do wish him luck and hope we can get AAM back to give us a power back.

Jerome Smith had a nice career here, and sure it will hurt a little depth wise, but GMII will prove to be the better running back. Its his turn, and it will benefit us.

Wish him the best, seems like a great kid. No surprise here. Nothing to gain really from staying, especially since next year he will just be losing more carries to the depth we have.

Best of luck to Jerome but this really puts the onus on the staff to go out and get another RB for this years class. A class of just Erv is not going to cut it.

Like most everyone else,I was almost always saying why don't we give it to Rome more? It's becoming more obvious to me anyway that McDonald wants to run a fast paced pass first offense,with rb's that are more like wr's in the backfield. It's the modern day NCAA football format. He doesn't want a ground and pound,run,run,pass offense. If Jerome doesn't come back,we'll still be fine. With that said,I'd love to see him wearing orange one more year,just for the experience factor. I thought Delone Carter was going to be a good nfl back. He never really got a chance,and I don't think he's caught on anywhere? I think Delone is a better rb than Jerome is. Jerome is going to have an uphill battle to fight if he does go pro. Either way I wish him luck and hope he has one big game left in him for us!

Best of luck to Jerome but this really puts the onus on the staff to go out and get another RB for this years class. A class of just Erv is not going to cut it.
Disagree. Erv's fine. Next year is the year to go all out for a top runningback or two.

Smart move for Jerome. I know for a fact there are a few teams that like him as a power back and would take him if everything works out.

He's been injured before. Why risk another one and more mileage on the tires.

In the grand scheme of things it shouldn't hurt us TOO much because we have so much depth at RB, but where it causes trouble is in the fact that we now have no sort of versatility when it comes to our RBs. By that I mean our top three backs are all the same types of runners, no differing styles and certainly no power back in the bunch.
Was Jerome really a "power back" though? I mean, he seemed to be a tougher runner this season than last, but he wasn't really a drag the pile kind of guy. He was just bigger than the other running backs.

In any event, if your backs are all talented that's what really matters.

Disagree. Erv's fine. Next year is the year to go all out for a top runningback or two.

Big time qualifying issues with Erv, theres a decent chance he doesnt make it to campus next fall. We cant go into the season with only 3rbs especially when one of them has a history of injuries.

I might have missed it but just to confirm, he's good for the bowl game, right?

I always thought Smith had surprising speed for his size. It's odd, despite his size he doesn't drag a pile like Carter did or flat out knock guys on their back ... but he is deceptively fast for his size. When he broke past the line of scrimmage he was gone.

Are we going away from any power running game completely once the offense transitions into the spread?

Going to get his first looks there. SU wouldnt go 2 years without taking a RB.
I don't see it. Everything I've read has him in the slot or as an H back. He really isn't that big.