Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
So things that are not related to massive NIL boosters…

That’s the point
You need NIL, selling of a play style, and relationships to do well with recruiting.

To keep/attract top talent, you will now need NIL. We don’t have a play style yet because Red hasn’t coached a game so that’s a big question mark and relationships will only get you so far. If you don’t have NIL, then you go after more under rated talent and hope they all pan out (ex: Pitt and NC St last year)

There plenty of other centers that we can get right now so I’m not panicking it’s make some phone calls

That’s fair, but virtually every other power 6 school including our rivals are doing everything they can to ensure their programs are competitive. He’s running things like he thinks we are an Ivy.
Maybe that’s because he actually wants to improve Syracuse's academic standard above its current position as a B student’s safety school

Here’s what I think many people on here fail to really understand, Syracuse doesn’t have big boosters to generate large NIL deals like a lot of other programs. It just doesn’t. The SU alum base has better things to do with its money. We’re a northeastern school, we aren’t a bunch of good ‘old boys throwing money at an athletic program. If you really believed one single billionaire tossing money at SU was actually, consistently going to happen as a sound strategy, you were and are delusional. I fear we are not equipped for the NIL era.

Having said that, UConn just won the national championship. Un believable. If they can do it, we surely can too. What crap was Hurley shoving to get players? Figure that out and rebuild the program.
This ain’t it. Nova is smaller than us and found a way to keep their guy. This is an administrative level issue.

Exactly. I started watching during the Mcnabb years and can’t even remember all the SU BB players I started watching and saw at the dome. Wallace, Moten, Sims. Throw lacrosse into the mix too.

We’re a long ways from the feelings I had for a long time watching SU year round. It was fun. It’s been hard finding all this enjoyable for awhile. Stopped following BB to the degree I used to for a few years now. This is the most vested I’ve been in the BB program in awhile.

This might push me over the edge….. if Jesse transfers b/c we couldn’t find a way to get him $ when other schools could. It just shows me we’re never crawling out from where we are except for a great season every once in awhile. We’re Rutgers without the even trying part.
If the money thing is true, then our hoops program is basically dead. If we, as one of the highest revenue programs in the country, can’t figure out how to navigate the current waters, then the rot is so deep and ingrained that what’s the point anymore. It’s bad enough that we aren’t turning over the entire roster but if we can’t because of NIL and monetary issues, then wow.

If it's truly that bad... Kent and JW are gonna find out quickly they need to get the hell on board with NIL.

They are not against nil at all. Plenty of athletes have and are getting NIL. JW has been campaigning for people to donate to the collectives. He’s been meeting with businesses campaigning for NIL. Kent approved JB campaigning for NIL as part of his job. Our NIL problem is income.

You need NIL, selling of a play style, and relationships to do well with recruiting.

To keep/attract top talent, you will now need NIL. We don’t have a play style yet because Red hasn’t coached a game so that’s a big question mark and relationships will only get you so far. If you don’t have NIL, then you go after more under rated talent and hope they all pan out (ex: Pitt and NC St last year)
You think those schools I mentioned have big NIL groups?

Did you even read what I posted? This make no sense. What does other talent on the team have to do with losing a top 15 player. You could have a five star backup center and it would still be ridiculous to see a 19-8 guy walk out the door.
Lol… I’m looking at Syracuse vs Michigan. Ok, Dickinson is leaving. Yeah it sucks, but they aren’t in the same boat as us. They’re an actual program who recruits and has real talent. We’re the laughing stock of college basketball

Adam couldn’t directly impact Jesse. It may be the workaround overseas trip concept went south.

Isn't his girlfriend still the assistant field hockey coach?

We have issues and if we can’t keep top talent for basketball then I’m not sure what else to say…we aren’t a hot destination right now that’s for damn sure

They are not against nil at all. Plenty of athletes have and are getting NIL. JW has been campaigning for people to donate to the collectives. He’s been meeting with businesses campaigning for NIL. Kent approved JB campaigning for NIL as part of his job. Our NIL problem is income.
Having a collective with $12k in total vs getting 6 figures from one booster are two completely different worlds

We may not have a choice. We just might not be relevant again. What is the point? To be the Washington Generals? If the kid wants to go to Europe, fine. But if it is to go to another school, and I have zero knowledge that it is, that is a neutron bomb on our program. What are we even doing?

I think it's clear what's happening. The admin is in on NIL but only up to a point. SU lacks the full school sport and needed amount of big donors to compete with the big boys. It's why 2 SU fball starters left this year and Jessie appears to be following. The Weitsman saga doesn't exactly help either.

If it's income then it should be an issue for many other P6 programs too...

If it's truly that bad... Kent and JW are gonna find out quickly they need to get the hell on board with NIL.
If this is something they need to learn or find out, then they need to get out now. The Athletics Dept has become too reactionary and letting things atrophy instead of attacking and getting with the times.

Again until Edwards comes out and says he is gone, he is still here. Nothing is certain……except one thing and that’s we are all nothing but water.

Lol… I’m looking at Syracuse vs Michigan. Ok, Dickinson is leaving. Yeah it sucks, but they aren’t in the same boat as us. They’re an actual program who recruits and has real talent. We’re the laughing stock of college basketball
We aren't the laughing stock of college basketball. That is ridiculous. But this is a danger zone for us right now.

Okay, you clearly just aren’t getting this for whatever reason.

As for the laughing stock of college basketball, I’m pretty sure the school with a Coach who punched someone during a game is probably ranked a bit higher on the laughing stock scale then one who center is rumored to be entering the transfer portal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom