Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is meant by conservative? You mean Su caps the amount of NIL the collectives or other donors can give a player?
Nah, I think he means programs find ways to push the NIL initiatives and Syracuse is extremely conservative and resource constrained.

Basically they don’t have the connections or resources (or willingness) to set up a European NIL deal for Jesse, so he’s going to a school that is able to do it.

Syracuse is conservative with their NIL, they wouldn’t go into the grey area where other schools are willing to. Other schools have figured out NIL loopholes for foreign players.
What does that mean? Since the school itself isn’t involved in giving out NIL deals, are you saying that our NIL boosters are being conservative and not wanting to wade into grey areas but other schools will do that? What are the grey areas? Is this only for the rule concerning international players? …I guess I’ll wait for Dasher to explain it tomorrow once he talks to his people.

Nah, I think he means programs find ways to push the NIL initiatives and Syracuse is extremely conservative and resource constrained.

Basically they don’t have the connections or resources (or willingness) to set up a European NIL deal for Jesse, so he’s going to a school that is able to do it.
That and maybe we arent dishing out what the going rate is for a player like Jesse? Idk though because that contradicts what that recent Twitter post says if we're about to drop bags for Hunter (if true?)

What does that mean? Since the school itself isn’t involved in giving out NIL deals, are you saying that our NIL boosters are being conservative and not wanting to wade into grey areas but other schools will do that? What are the grey areas? Is this only for the rule concerning international players? …I guess I’ll wait for Dasher to explain it tomorrow once he talks to his people.
Wonder if Jesse's offer wasn't that attractive but we have a certain booster that REALLY wants a player like Dickinson so he/she is throwing big time money at him? If the school really isn't involved in giving out the deals then basically it's up to the big time boosters to pony up the offers to the players they want. Seems wierd if thats how it works, but I'd imagine the booster have an idea as to what players the coaches want to bring in and what kind of offers are needed to do so? Idk...this whole thing is just crazy!

Incorrect

What’s funny is there really aren’t any NIL rules other than the ones Syracuse is creating for themselves

Su didn’t create any rules themselves. Lol.

Bingo. SU has always played everything tight.
For whatever reason they screwed this up. Reading the article the coaches did everything possible, Jesse wanted to stay but as usual the school was faced with working through a situation with a twist because Jesse is a foreign student and decided to pass on taking any chance. I dont think this is about money. I think this is 100% about SU being ultra conservative when it comes to NIL

Bingo. SU has always played everything tight.
For whatever reason they screwed this up. Reading the article the coaches did everything possible, Jesse wanted to stay but as usual the school was faced with working through a situation with a twist because Jesse is a foreign student and decided to pass on taking any chance. I dont think this is about money. I think this is 100% about SU being ultra conservative when it comes to NIL

You’d be 100% wrong.

Maybe Weitsman was creating Jesse's deal but they couldn't replace Weitsman with someone else quickly enough.

If Jesse leaves, I could see you cuse looking at Efton Reid a transfer from Gonzaga. He is originally from Richmond, Virginia. He has a nice right, handed jump hook, and looks pretty similar to Jesse on the offensive end.

Well you are. If Su is so stupid how did Jesse get NIL last year, which he did?
So then what happened here? Did we lowball him or is he just looking for some insane number that we just weren't comfortable dishing out?

So then what happened here? Did we lowball him or is he just looking for some insane number that we just weren't comfortable dishing out?
Lets put it this way, JG3 probably made high 5 figures a year in legal NIL at Syracuse. Once he hit the portal, he was offered up to $400k (market rate for an ok starter currently) since other schools push the limits of NIL to disguise pay for play. It seems that Syracuse mostly offers “legal” NIL opportunities to their athletes.

Last year, we lost to teams who offered $500k-$1M in NIL to their top players (as well as other schools who don’t provide the same NIL opportunities)

Last edited:
The baffling part to me though is why does Edward’s family think another university can work out a better deal for Jesse. According to Donna “The Syracuse center and his family had been trying to work out an NIL situation over the past few weeks that would keep Edwards in an Orange uniform. But his dad, David Edwards, said the family “couldn’t get the right arrangement to move forward.”

So was there a deal presented but it wasn’t good enough to keep Jesse at SU? So the next question , does the Edwards family know that other universities can offer a better deal than SU has proposed? If so, is it money as others have guessed here? Is it a question of timing, such as the amount of time Jesse spends in the Netherlands this summer instead of practicing, working out here with the team? Are there some questionable details that the family sought that SU compliance was worried about and didn’t get clearance from the NCAA, that another program would assume the risk or knows they could get away with? It’s strange that the family believes a deal could be worked out that they couldn’t with SU. There has to be a reason. (Strange, since it’s an NIL deal to retain a player not lure a player to SU, heck, he’s here).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom