Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coaching matters more now w rosters switching over by the hour.

I have no doubt AA can recruit traditionally

I do have doubt if he can manage an nba like roster whrrr everyone is looking for a bag habitually

Nil is a bad thing unregulated. Really bad
A coach that can only recruit traditionally, especially at a P5 school is screwed. We lost Jesse because of NIL. Any good player we have will absolutely be poached going forward. If AA only brings in HS kids We will never compete

We lost Girard too. I know fans don’t think he was a big loss, but he was much better than Starling last year. Right now if Mintz doesn’t come back this roster is awful.
He’s a huge loss. We lost our top 3 players and 80% of our scoring. 2 of them upperclassmen, 1 a potential NBA 1St rounder.

Even if Starling is a stud, the rest of the roster is bottom 3 or 4 ACC at best

It would provide some transparency to the whole NIL debacle if schools had
to document how large a pot is available at each school. It could be a one lump sum figure, not by individual sport and certainly not by individual player. It will never happen, but it would be refreshing and certainly add some clarity regarding how this whole concept has deteriorated to a food fight.

I think Syracuse would be no better than middle of the road at best in this pay for pay
environment. If this continues to be a wild west show where $$ talk and players walk
SU willl be on the outside looking in at the big players.

It would provide some transparency to the whole NIL debacle if schools had
to provide how large a pot is available at each school. It could be a one lump sum figure, not by individual sport and certainly not by individual player. It will never happen, but it would be refreshing and certainly add some clarity regarding how this whole concept has deteriorated to food fight.

I think Syracuse would be no better than middle of the road at best in this pay for pay
environment. If this continues to be a wild west show where $$ talk and players walk
SU willl be on the outside looking in at the big players.
We already are on the outside…we can’t pay our center basically means we have MAC level
Talent in the ACC it’s a disgrace

We already are on the outside…we can’t pay our center basically means we have MAC level
Talent in the ACC it’s a disgrace
It would be interesting to hear from the collectives. They are trying their best I'm sure, but must feel like they are treading water at this point.

“We will get another portal big”

Ok, so we were already a team that lacked talent. And one of our 2 best players last year is going to leave because we can’t pay him enough. If we can’t pay our own guys enough to stay, what makes anyone think we will be able to through the portal? Clearly whatever big we get will be a big downgrade
100%. It is so much easier to retain talent or retain customers than it is to find new ones. If we can’t keep Jesse than anyone we bring in will be much worse.

It would be interesting to hear from the collectives. They are trying their best I'm sure, but must feel like they are treading water at this point.

What do we need to hear at this point? They don’t care to increase the NIL budget then what are we doing? You could raise ticket prices a few dollars and make it NIL money. Weistman did us no favors either he picked a fight when we needed him most. Great he helped with a few players one of which might still leave. However it’s all Kent’s fault in my opinion. UCONN seems to be doing well…

What do we need to hear at this point? They don’t care to increase the NIL budget then what are we doing? You could raise ticket prices a few dollars and make it NIL money. Weistman did us no favors either he picked a fight when we needed him most. Great he helped with a few players one of which might still leave. However it’s all Kent’s fault in my opinion. UCONN seems to be doing well…
UConns title this year was very much roster construction/timing as opposed to NIL. The few guys they added via the portal were bench pieces (other than Newton).

“Raise ticket prices”.

Ticket prices? You are clueless. Sit this one out for a bit.

I will be interested in hearing what the going rate for a guy like Jesse will be. I suspect the money his father is being offered is significant. I would also be interested in hearing JWs position on Nil, updated based on the potential loss of Edwards. I would not blame the loss of Edwards on Red and I think if Red did not pursue another big to this point it was likely due to someone telling him Edwards was staying, otherwise the implication would be Red is incompetent which he is not. I am still in the camp of let's see where things go before we start getting worked up. There's a long time between now and first tipoff.

UConns title this year was very much roster construction/timing as opposed to NIL. The few guys they added via the portal were bench pieces.

Kind of the point I was making…our center was homegrown…these athletes are our investments and we need to keep feeding those investments the entire time they are here which is also why seeing Autry out there is a positive sign but he won’t have long to impress the fan base he also will need NIL backers that will actually open their piggy banks enough to make us top
Ten each year.

Schools don't have a NIL budget.

I will be interested in hearing what the going rate for a guy like Jesse will be. I suspect the money his father is being offered is significant. I would also be interested in hearing JWs position on Nil, updated based on the potential loss of Edwards. I would not blame the loss of Edwards on Red and I think if Red did not pursue another big to this point it was likely due to someone telling him Edwards was staying, otherwise the implication would be Red is incompetent which he is not. I am still in the camp of let's see where things go before we start getting worked up. There's a long time between now and first tipoff.
Devo said Joe was gonna get 400K-500K. My assumption is that Jesse is worth a lot more than that

Devo said Joe was gonna get 400K-500K. My assumption is that Jesse is worth a lot more than that
Does Cooley need a center at Georgetown? If i'm Jesse and my mind was made up to try another school for a year i'd be looking at great academic institutions, vibrant/dynamic area to live for a year, and a coach who can win.

Another theory is do we know if he suddenly broke up with his gf? wasn't that a factor in him staying? If he broke up and she's sticking around he may want to leave pronto too. It feels like more than money is pulling him away so suddenly.

Maybe it’s a negotiating tactic by Edwards and his family. Couldn’t get a deal done so they enter the portal (free agency). Maybe Syracuse realizes the threat of losing him is real and someone pays up.

But this roster is on the verge right now if we lose Jessie. Lot of off-season left, but the staff better adjust accordingly.

I could also see this effecting Mintz if the right player is not found. Why come back to Syracuse to showcase for the NBA if you don’t have a solid team around you. Maybe he starts looking elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom