Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Big loss obviously as Jesse was a good player here. He put up good numbers (a lot of which were empty calories) on two of our worst teams.
He and Joe leaving rip the band aid off the JB family reunion ending and in my mind that's a good thing. We start fresh and see what Red has and how committed the school is to climbing this mountain. Some schools are taking the express and we seem to be taking the local. Judah is the key to next year and always has been. If he bolts we strap in and support Red and see what SU wants to be.
I am 60 and continue to believe SU will be out of big time sports in my lifetime, and though I don't believe the number, if players like JG3 command ,$400,000, maybe we should be.

I have no info on this - but this could be a play by his family to get Cuse to up the $. I don’t think the door is completely shut. Problem is, he’s going to see huge offers.

Any idea what Clingan got to remain at UConn vs the NBA? I wish we had a sense of the market conditions for these guys. At some point some intrepid internet nerd should be the repository of these deals. If it's going to be a market it needs some liquidity and transparency

What do we need to hear at this point? They don’t care to increase the NIL budget then what are we doing? You could raise ticket prices a few dollars and make it NIL money. Weistman did us no favors either he picked a fight when we needed him most. Great he helped with a few players one of which might still leave. However it’s all Kent’s fault in my opinion. UCONN seems to be doing well…
UConn athletics ran a $53MM deficit last year. I am sure everyone of the taxpayers in the state of Connecticut are satisfied with a shiny trophy as the return on their investment. Can’t imagine bleeding money at that rate is sustainable.

My view is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Big loss obviously as Jesse was a good player here. He put up good numbers (a lot of which were empty calories) on two of our worst teams.
He and Joe leaving rip the band aid off the JB family reunion ending and in my mind that's a good thing. We start fresh and see what Red has and how committed the school is to climbing this mountain. Some schools are taking the express and we seem to be taking the local. Judah is the key to next year and always has been. If he bolts we strap in and support Red and see what SU wants to be.
I am 60 and continue to believe SU will be out of big time sports in my lifetime, and though I don't believe the number, if players like JG3 command ,$400,000, maybe we should be.
I watch more premier league than I watch college basketball now.

I suspect the NIL will drive more fans away during the season when no one has any clue what the roster looks like year over year. That's why the women had a monster tournament because people are beginning to recognize the women with their continuity at some programs vs the men program. Certainly they moved around in the portal too but the men's programs were built on stars and now the stars leave after 1 year or are looking to leave for another program that can pay them.

NIL has to be modified by congress asap or else i'll pay attn to the tournament and that's about it (purely for gambling purposes because the investment in SU hoops as a fan will be like following my fantasy baseball team)

We may not have a choice. We just might not be relevant again. What is the point? To be the Washington Generals? If the kid wants to go to Europe, fine. But if it is to go to another school, and I have zero knowledge that it is, that is a neutron bomb on our program. What are we even doing?
Didn’t we just host Freeman a Top 40 prospect after landing Starling, who was #1 in the portal?

This stinks but woah now….

Call this a hot take. Call it an unfavorable opinion, but it’s where I’m at.

Decisions like this are ones that drive me the most crazy and will
Completely turn me off on a player and caring about their future/wishing them well. Yeah, I know, it’s really petty.

A four year player, developed like no one could have planned, shows nothing but passion for the school, committing to the process, hundreds of hours with teammates and people who dedicated everything to him; gone chasing a buck.

I’m all for NIL and players being able to earn money off who they are, but it’s now the reason why high major D1 sports are a shell of what they once were. Gone are the days of a 4 year starter willing a bad team to a run during their senior year. It honestly ruins the product for me. Makes Me care much less.

Completely turn me off on a player and caring about their future/wishing them well. Yeah, I know, it’s really petty.

A four year player, developed like no one could have planned, shows nothing but passion for the school, committing to the process, hundreds of hours with teammates and people who dedicated everything to him; gone chasing a buck.

I’m all for NIL and players being able to earn money off who they are, but it’s now the reason why high major D1 sports are a shell of what they once were. Gone are the days of a 4 year starter willing a bad team to a run during their senior year. It honestly ruins the product for me. Makes Me care much less.
Not a hot take at all. It's reasonable. No one can look themselves in the mirror and say they are as big a fan as they were in 1988, 1998, or even 2003. It's virtually impossible to be invested in this at that level when the sport itself isn't concerned with the consumer here.

It's a frankensteinian model where students got paid, students got absolute freedom to come and go and the consumer of the product (when its shrouded in a not for profit college eco system) is told to go pound sand.

Of course television ratings are the arbitrator ultimately. The entire house of cards is built on that. If they remain high, this will become worse and worse. It's a vicious cycle we've entered in college sports.

Good stuff JB and very fair take. I was trying to give it a real shot with the coaching change and had legit excitement. That's just about completely eroded at this point.

Again the NIL is just in its 2nd year your acting like these schools have had success 10 years in.

Purdue is a B10 team that has a good sized NIL program, not sure why your listing them but if you wanna count them fine. Nova would be your best example but without Wright and the lack of a big NIL their likely to look more like the mediocre team you saw this year. Uconn hasn't done a thing under Hurley until this year ( literally hadn't won a tourney game). He has done a good job of getting 4 star recruits and used the portal well this offseason. That said they are likely to run into problems moving forward as the cash discrepancy between the P5 schools and the non fball conferences continues to grow exponentially. It remains to be seen if Uconn will be able to raise the NIL funds to compete against B10, SEC and ACC schools for recruits.
And you’re acting like Syracuse is going to fail forever.

College sports is cooked and so is this program. Was a fun ride
To think we're talking about basketball. We can still compete IMO.

Football to me is cooked. That's the big one that is just tap dancing past the graveyard. That'll push the hoops program in another direction in 5-8 years.

Even with my dire predictions about the sport, SU hoops matters and always will. The amount of capital built up in that program won't be pulled down in 3 years. It will always attract talent and eyeballs.

To me it's about the aesthetics of the sport now and how one can be invested. SU Is similar to ND football where there are tons of fans (even on here) that didn't go to SU but are massive fans. That really really matters and is great. I worry that those fans will go under a rock at some point. I mean i'm ready to give up on it as a fanatic and will casually pay attn like i do with lax

Lets put it this way, JG3 probably made high 5 figures a year in legal NIL at Syracuse. Once he hit the portal, he was offered up to $400k (market rate for an ok starter currently) since other schools push the limits of NIL to disguise pay for play. It seems that Syracuse mostly offers “legal” NIL opportunities to their athletes.

Last year, we lost to teams who offered $500k-$1M in NIL to their top players (as well as other schools who don’t provide the same NIL opportunities)
I think it’s fair to caveat this with; These are made up numbers

What’s the difference between legal and illegal NIL?
One’s legal and one’s illegal.

This isn’t some b.s. NCAA rule, this is congressional law

The current roster with Jesse gone and assuming Judah leaves is a flaming brown paper bag of doo doo. Huge voids to fill! Let's hope Red has a plan and the $ comes through to snag some top tier replacements...or we're in for a long season!
Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors