Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listened to Deans pod and feel quite better about our situation. I’ll just say 99% of what posted here is not accurate.
Years ago I subscribed and didn't really see the genius of Dean or the pod and then the unsubscribing - oy vey. At any rate is he considered the ultimate insider here? Everyone who listens seems to post a form of serenity now idea.

Years ago I subscribed and didn't really see the genius of Dean or the pod and then the unsubscribing - oy vey. At any rate is he considered the ultimate insider here? Everyone who listens seems to post a form of serenity now idea.

I haven’t listened lately so will give that caveat. In the past, I along with you was less than impressed. Keep in mind he has motivations and loyalties that shape a lot of his opinions. No problem
With it but not something I need to listen to.

Cuse

There aren't many insiders here so what he says is taken as gospel. A lot of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks with his takes. Is he or has he ever been on the prep circuit and what circles is he in? Those matter when considering yourself to be an insider or source people can trust and your overall record. Some people aren't going to like this post, but it is what it is.

Listened to Deans pod and feel quite better about our situation. I’ll just say 99% of what posted here is not accurate.

Ditto... said I wouldn't do Patreon again but glad I broke that rule. Everyone who can needs to listen to it.

I haven’t listened lately so will give that caveat. In the past, I along with you was less than impressed. Keep in mind he has motivations and loyalties that shape a lot of his opinions. No problem
With it but not something I need to listen to.

Cuse

There is no bias in this one. Just drops facts in this whole situation. Some opinion layered in too but good perspective around those as well.

There aren't many insiders here so what he says is taken as gospel. A lot of throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks with his takes. Is he or has he ever been on the prep circuit and what circles is he in? Those matter when considering yourself to be an insider or source people can trust and your overall record. Some people aren't going to like this post, but it is what it is.

He is correct far more than wrong. This go around it rounds up all of this swirl.

couple things I’ve heard:
1) the international NIL stuff was largely figured out. this was more about a # we didn’t want to match.
2) the staff wasn’t “blindsided”
thank for the info, but great, JUST GREAT. Just like with football now we're a feeder program for the big boy programs with our best players. Just great, No thanks.

thank for the info, but great, JUST GREAT. Just like with football now we're a feeder program for the big boy programs with our best players. Just great, No thanks.

We're likely going to learn within the next 4 weeks if things like what is on Dean's pod in respect to NIL are correct.

I don't want to overshare paid content. Just look at NIL in the context of real estate and I'll leave it at that.

There is no bias in this one. Just drops facts in this whole situation. Some opinion layered in too but good perspective around those as well.

Just drops facts

Some opinion layered in

I had a feeling that yesterday wasn't the best day in this board's history. I'm used to the usual characters spouting off, but it was a pretty bad day for many typically sane posters.
:oops:

I don’t disagree. I’ll also reiterate I don’t believe the $ limit applies to any player. It was Jesse specific.

If that's your take you either haven't been here long enough or haven't ever paid attention to him.

A couple of things I wonder about with all this mess that are purely musings some likely may too difficult or not beneficial...

1- it feels like there needs to be an offer period in the portal or preceding portal open dates. Thus some form of player registration- where you have an offer window. Any contact or offers discussed or brokered prior would grounds for penalties that impact offering school and player, should said player seek to negotiate a deal with that school. At end of offer period- player can enter the portal to pursue those they were interested in or return to school.. again essentially a "DMZ" of the portal.

2- Provide an even more prescriptive definition of tampering and tie to said timelines. This aligns more with what this is- Free Agency.

3- I don't know how it would play out.. but I feel like finding a way to have the NCAA partner with TbT and look at ways to allow kids to, at their own physical risk seeking compensation to participate and possibly even result in a league and a tournament. Providing sponsorship opportunities through playing basketball vs outside of it or running paralell.

A couple of things I wonder about with all this mess that are purely musings some likely may too difficult or not beneficial...

1- it feels like there needs to be an offer period in the portal or preceding portal open dates. Thus some form of player registration- where you have an offer window. Any contact or offers discussed or brokered prior would grounds for penalties that impact offering school and player, should said player seek to negotiate a deal with that school. At end of offer period- player can enter the portal to pursue those they were interested in or return to school.. again essentially a "DMZ" of the portal.

2- Provide an even more prescriptive definition of tampering and tie to said timelines. This aligns more with what this is- Free Agency.

3- I don't know how it would play out.. but I feel like finding a way to have the NCAA partner with TbT and look at ways to allow kids to, at their own physical risk seeking compensation to participate and possibly even result in a league and a tournament. Providing sponsorship opportunities through playing basketball vs outside of it or running paralell.
The problem with this is that the NCAA has spent 75 years convincing themselves that student athletes aren't employees and aren't students. They've built their entire organization to keep money flowing and keeping it from the athletes. Any serious reformation is going to require the NCAA to reconsider their core philosophy.

Who the heck is Dean? Is he the Maryland Mole, John from Syracuse or Tristan?

My comments yesterday still reflect my overall opinion of the following:

1. NIL is terrible for the consumer of college sports. It's unregulated craziness which eats into the fandom of a particular team due to the chaos factor.

2. Syracuse needs to have standards starting with the Chancellor to attract the absolute best students possible. Get that ranking up to top 40 and everything will be better. With our unbelievable sports programs (we punch above our weight as a private university) we can be even better nationally...

3. I have some reservations about AA if next year is a step back talent wise for the school. The easy Scott Shafer transition can break two ways with a restless fandom. I'm going to give a minimum of 3 years to AA regardless if we made the NCAAs or not. It's just fair to wash out 46 years of a prior admin. Not sure everyone else will.

4. I don't care that Jesse took advantage of a situation where he got paid more elsewhere. He gave SU four years, got his degree and is a class act. My hat is off to him.

5. I also don't care that his dad is running the show. Being 22 doesn't mean one is actually smart enough to make these decisions without massive amt of emotion involved. Parents can strip away that and make a decision with long term interests involved.

6. I like John Wildhack and Kent Sveryud. Met both, quality stewards of SU and SUAD. If you think otherwise you haven't met them or see what they've done to enrich the school and to set it up for the future.

7. Boston is the best place to live in the country contrary to what JAB says about Syracuse being the best.
Sometimes I think you really don't pay attention.

This isn't meant to challenge Dean or the quality of what he's offering, but I wasn't a fan of how things were handled a while back when he transitioned away from the board and strictly to his podcast. Also wasn't terribly impressed with his pod and his style, when I gave it a try.

Who knows, maybe things are better now. Based on what some are saying about his most recent pod, hopefully he's accurate rather than just making people feel better about things. I'd be willing to give his pod another try but dealing with Patreon is kinda keeping me away.

This isn't meant to challenge Dean or the quality of what he's offering, but I wasn't a fan of how things were handled a while back when he transitioned away from the board and strictly to his podcast. Also wasn't terribly impressed with his pod and his style, when I gave it a try.

Who knows, maybe things are better now. Based on what some are saying about his most recent pod, hopefully he's accurate rather than just making people feel better about things. I'd be willing to give his pod another try but dealing with Patreon is kinda keeping me away.

Given how people prefer to share "information" on other topics and other platforms his style seems pretty good to me. 80 pct of the crap out there today is sewage anymore in content and delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom