Jimmy Fallon returns the Tonight show to NYC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Fallon returns the Tonight show to NYC

Alsacs said:
Biggest winner: Jimmy Kimmel. Most stars live in Los Angeles and with Fallon and Letterman in NYC with Myers, Colbert and Stewart. Kimmel will get the A listers in So. California without the inconvenience of flying across the country makes Kimmel the winner. I am young and will never watch Fallon he is a annoying guy who has been forced down our throats by Lorne Michaels machine. Michaels is behind Fallon, Myers, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and they are all terrible. Fallon is going to get chance after chance that Conan O'Brien never got. The fact they changed the name to The Tonight Show STARRING Jimmy Fallon is all I need to know to realize the guy has big allies. The Red Sox movie he made with Drew Barrymore is easily the worst movie ever made. NYC doesn't need the Tonight Show with Letterman, and all those other guys.

No problem with the Fallon hate. I grew up watching Conan and still hate the way NBC treated him...but Brooklyn Nine-Nine is hilarious for a network show. It's not in the same universe as Veep or Curb but is still pretty awesome.

Parks and Rec is great too and you can tell that both shows have a lot of the same people running them as they both feature characters who genuinely like each other. It's nice to see that on tv once in a while.

I don't really watch these kinds of shows anymore, but watched it since it was the premiere. Thought Fallon did a great job. Very humble and likable in the pre-monologue.

I've been to the taping of SNL a couple of times. Seeing Lorne interact with people really put me off to him and the show. He didn't seem to give a crap about the fans.

He didn't seem to give a crap about the fans.

Maybe he was busy trying to executive produce a live 90-minute sketch comedy show.

I don't really watch these kinds of shows anymore, but watched it since it was the premiere. Thought Fallon did a great job. Very humble and likable in the pre-monologue.

I've been to the taping of SNL a couple of times. Seeing Lorne interact with people really put me off to him and the show. He didn't seem to give a crap about the fans.
ive been a # of times to SNL as well (ive got afterparty stories that should never see the light of day, and i sure as hell didnt on those sundays), but in his defense...hes got a 90 minute LIVE show to produce, with a lot of advertising $$ on the line.

a lot of which was written and put together starting tues or wednesday. getting the sets alone done, and in the right position was a challenge, those guys worked their arses off and he rode them hard, but it was needed. (full disclosure, my in was the stage hands etc)

if he didnt have time to sign your ticket, youre gonna have to cut him some slack.

I can tell you I have contacts in LA and most of younger friends feel this way about Fallon.

My girlfriend and I are under 30 and we love Fallon. His monologues aren't great, but his musical numbers and general sense of fun really drive the show.

I will say if you check most of what I said its factual. However, I won't hide my obvious dislike of Fallon and my like of Kimmel. Fallon just oozes corporate stooge if you know the facts. NBC is protecting this guy like he is a Tom Brady/Peyton Manning when I think he is a Philip Rivers type entertainer. Not elite, but not terrible.
corporate stooge. Where would you rank leno on that scale?

My girlfriend and I are under 30 and we love Fallon. His monologues aren't great, but his musical numbers and general sense of fun really drive the show.

I'm in my mid-20's and love Fallon as well. I especially like when he plays games with the guests - gives us a chance to see their true colors and their competitive side.

I'm also interested to see Seth Meyers. Hopefully his sarcasm will translate.

Biggest winner: Jimmy Kimmel. Most stars live in Los Angeles and with Fallon and Letterman in NYC with Myers, Colbert and Stewart. Kimmel will get the A listers in So. California without the inconvenience of flying across the country makes Kimmel the winner. I am young and will never watch Fallon he is a annoying guy who has been forced down our throats by Lorne Michaels machine. Michaels is behind Fallon, Myers, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and they are all terrible. Fallon is going to get chance after chance that Conan O'Brien never got. The fact they changed the name to The Tonight Show STARRING Jimmy Fallon is all I need to know to realize the guy has big allies. The Red Sox movie he made with Drew Barrymore is easily the worst movie ever made. NYC doesn't need the Tonight Show with Letterman, and all those other guys.
Well Kimmel still has Conan to contend with in LA, but otherwise you have a good point. I do think you underestimate how many stars live in NYC though. Not as many as LA but still, NYC has a ton of stars wandering around town, and even a ton of big movie stars spend plenty of time there doing Broadway.

I think the "celebs won't go on Fallon's show because most of them live in LA" argument is ridiculous.

I'm not sure Seth Myers is going to work out. Just a gut feeling.
I kind of agree. I actually kinda like him but could see him coming off as too smug, and rubbing people the wrong way because of that. He just has a certain smugness about him, whether he is or not in reality.

Maybe he was busy trying to executive produce a live 90-minute sketch comedy show.

I'm sure the actors have a helluva lot busier week than he does. They don't seem to have any problem being friendly.

And no, I don't care to interact with any celebs. Could care less. Just a gut feeling I got seeing Lorne. I have a very good radar for reading people, and he just gave me a toolbag vibe.

Today I learned that Jimmy Fallon once kicked Alsacs dog. What a jerk!

Lol, seriously. I was trying to figure out what Fallon did to Alsacs once upon a time. The hate is strong.

I'm 22, and despite him apparently being an "NBC Stooge", Fallon has always been my favorite late night show host. Him and Kimmel are both great IMO, but I find myself laughing a lot at Fallon. To me, he seems like a more down-to-earth person than Kimmel. Kimmel seems like strictly a host, whereas Fallon seems like he's one of us just having a good time. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I like it.

The Jimmy and Jimmy war will be a good refresh for late night network TV. Both funny, both talented, both in their prime. Conan (who I also like) gets a little squeezed, and he really got the shaft at NBC. Here's the Tonight Show, and we're going to create a new lead in show for you. An awful one.

I never ever ever ever never never understood how Jay Leno had such good ratings. To me, he was the Billy Packer of late night TV. Couldn't find a human who had anything positive to say about him, but yet there he was, cemented.

Letterman is on the downslope. He's been so good, but all good things must come to an end.

I'm rarely up that late anymore, but when I am, I've become a Colbert watcher. So I don't even know how to manage all of this.

these shows are like snl to me. when they're funny, they're really funny and I'll watch it the next day. why sit through the boring stuff, i'll let other people do it

The Jimmy and Jimmy war will be a good refresh for late night network TV. Both funny, both talented, both in their prime. Conan (who I also like) gets a little squeezed, and he really got the shaft at NBC. Here's the Tonight Show, and we're going to create a new lead in show for you. An awful one.

I never ever ever ever never never understood how Jay Leno had such good ratings. To me, he was the Billy Packer of late night TV. Couldn't find a human who had anything positive to say about him, but yet there he was, cemented.

Letterman is on the downslope. He's been so good, but all good things must come to an end.

I'm rarely up that late anymore, but when I am, I've become a Colbert watcher. So I don't even know how to manage all of this.
You know, I can't stand Leno but I will admit, the episode he did of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee a few weeks ago made me look at him a little differently. It was a really interesting talk between he and Seinfeld. I'd highly recommend it.

That said, he got ratings for the same reason crappy CBS sitcoms always get huge ratings: he's safe, not remotely edgy, and appeals to the larger demographic, particularly the older crowd. That's part of why Conan failed with the Tonight Show, because 1) the "safe" format stifled some of his best stuff, and 2) the Leno fans didn't want or understand Conan's edgier humor and bits.

You know, I can't stand Leno but I will admit, the episode he did of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee a few weeks ago made me look at him a little differently. It was a really interesting talk between he and Seinfeld. I'd highly recommend it.

That said, he got ratings for the same reason crappy CBS sitcoms always get huge ratings: he's safe, not remotely edgy, and appeals to the larger demographic, particularly the older crowd. That's part of why Conan failed with the Tonight Show, because 1) the "safe" format stifled some of his best stuff, and 2) the Leno fans didn't want or understand Conan's edgier humor and bits.

I've been meaning to catch up on the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show. Maybe I haven't because the name is so long. But I will at some point.

As to the Conan thing, so much of that late night audience (so I've always been told) is part of the network's lead in, not counting the local news. That half hour local news actually made me doubt some of the lead in data. It's not like it's 1981 and we have to get up to change the channel. But having said that, Leno was the actual lead in. That 10 pm show was an absolute train wreck. So his fans weren't turning in at 10, but suddenly they were again at 11:30 when he came back. It's a weird dynamic, and since I don't work in that industry, applying logic isn't at all helpful.

Ever since Leno stole the idea for Jaywalking from Howard Stern (and then Stuttering John) I knew that he was not my kind of guy.
Speaking of, it's funny...Leno was on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee one week, and Stern was on the very next week. And yes, Stern tried to bait Jerry into talking sh** about Leno.

Yup, the 11:30 slot was not ready for the Masturbating Bear!

I've been meaning to catch up on the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show. Maybe I haven't because the name is so long. But I will at some point.

As to the Conan thing, so much of that late night audience (so I've always been told) is part of the network's lead in, not counting the local news. That half hour local news actually made me doubt some of the lead in data. It's not like it's 1981 and we have to get up to change the channel. But having said that, Leno was the actual lead in. That 10 pm show was an absolute train wreck. So his fans weren't turning in at 10, but suddenly they were again at 11:30 when he came back. It's a weird dynamic, and since I don't work in that industry, applying logic isn't at all helpful.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is great, you won't be disappointed.

The dynamics of late night TV are strange. Lead in is a very real dynamic, even though it seems like an anachronism in today's media world.

I like Conan a lot, but he's an acquired taste. If you look at who's been successful in that 11:30 time slot over the years (Carson, Letterman, Leno) he really didn't fit the mold. And late night is like morning drive radio, it's all about the mold. It's comfort food, basically.

I can tell you I have contacts in LA and most of younger friends feel this way about Fallon. Also, middle America which is why Leno had better ratings than Letterman are going to be the deciders of Fallon's fate. Even though NBC will give this guy EVERYTHING to make him succeed unlike Conan O'Brien.
I have autographs of people who have been to LA

Letterman was just on Howard Stern a few weeks back at his birthday show and says he plans on doing at least a few more years if CBS allows him. Will be interesting to see who CBS has lined up to take his spot when Dave finally hangs it up. Finding hosts for shows like this isn't easy. Wouldn't be shocked to see John Stewart jump to CBS (since CBS also owns Comedy Central) and host their late night show at 11:30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom