Jimmy | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet you he doesn't match Swider's production this season.
I think you could play Benny 30 minutes right now, and he'd struggle to get 10 points and 5 rebounds a game. His mind seems to wander in the limited minutes he's out there.
I don't disagree with Benny this year. But, next year I think he is going to be a star. You may be right or I may be right, the point is, nobody knows. And, the reason I feel like I do, I watched a ton of Benny from last year. He was confident. He scored from all levels and in all different ways. This year, he has no confidence, he is overthinking every little part of the game. I think he gets his mojo back next year. Who knows, maybe it happens before the end of this year.

I don't disagree with Benny this year. But, next year I think he is going to be a star. You may be right or I may be right, the point is, nobody knows. And, the reason I feel like I do, I watched a ton of Benny from last year. He was confident. He scored from all levels and in all different ways. This year, he has no confidence, he is overthinking every little part of the game. I think he gets his mojo back next year. Who knows, maybe it happens before the end of this year.
Benny's lack of "readiness" is not skills based...

Benny's lack of "readiness" is not skills based...
I agree. Benny is not a born killer like a Dion or Melo. He is an intelligent kid who has lost his confidence. We still need to find a dog for next year's team. A transfer that is hungry and isn't afraid to lay in to anyone on this team. I doubt we go after anyone in the portal, but if we do, it should be a point guard that isn't afraid to bark at our boys.

I agree. Benny is not a born killer like a Dion or Melo. He is an intelligent kid who has lost his confidence. We still need to find a dog for next year's team. A transfer that is hungry and isn't afraid to lay in to anyone on this team. I doubt we go after anyone in the portal, but if we do, it should be a point guard that isn't afraid to bark at our boys.
if Buddy is back, I can't see us adding a "dog" or anyone else at the PG position.

if Buddy is back, I can't see us adding a "dog" or anyone else at the PG position.
Unfortunately, I agree. I suppose the dog could be at any position, but there is nothing better than a PG like Sherman who is the unquestioned leader. Cole seems to have heart and hustle, but it doesn't it doesn't seem to manifest itself as leadership. Maybe it is just that our current lineup doesn't have the athleticism to turn that hustle in to anything. All I know is, when I see two guys "trap" on the side line and I see there is 2 feet between the guys, they are doing it wrong. That isn't a trap, that is an easily beatable double team. The best is when our guys have their arms straight up and they start suffocating the opposing player on the sideline and he panics, the other guard rotates over and gets between the last open player that he saw and gets a steal and we are off to the races.

So is all of this just so JB can get to 1000 (again) with his kids on the team? Since I’m sure they thought 18 was a foregone conclusion pre-season and is now looking less and less likely?

All things being equal, in a world where this led to this core, plus more benny, plus the recruits, actually means more depth and more players getting lots of minutes, I'd be thrilled. But thats just not what JB does.
QFT.

Jimmy on the team next year - great!

Jimmy guaranteed starter and 35+ minutes per game next year, regardless of what our new recruits and/or the portal could bring - not so great!

So is all of this just so JB can get to 1000 (again) with his kids on the team? Since I’m sure they thought 18 was a foregone conclusion pre-season and is now looking less and less likely?
Seems like that may be part of it. If that is the case, I hope they are willing (that means all three Boeheims) to do what it takes to make next year a better year, even if that means giving up minutes and potentially starting roles.

Exactly. I feel like Christmas Vacation - Well, something had to come through the window! Something had to break the stereo!

Well, something has to be the reason we're 8-8. No, let's just bring the same guys back and do it all over again!

Ha! Or this scene from European Vacation…round and round…”there’s Big Ben!” :)

Unfortunately, I agree. I suppose the dog could be at any position, but there is nothing better than a PG like Sherman who is the unquestioned leader. Cole seems to have heart and hustle, but it doesn't it doesn't seem to manifest itself as leadership. Maybe it is just that our current lineup doesn't have the athleticism to turn that hustle in to anything. All I know is, when I see two guys "trap" on the side line and I see there is 2 feet between the guys, they are doing it wrong. That isn't a trap, that is an easily beatable double team. The best is when our guys have their arms straight up and they start suffocating the opposing player on the sideline and he panics, the other guard rotates over and gets between the last open player that he saw and gets a steal and we are off to the races.
Not to hammer the point, but it takes good athletes and length to set those traps hard, fast, and correctly. Great point about suffocating the guy with the ball and not fouling. That is the way it is taught at every level. Goal one from that trap, as you said, is to get the player to panic and make a poor pass out of the trap. The other 3 are taught to over play passing lanes - looking for live ball turnover and fastbreak.

Not to hammer the point, but it takes good athletes and length to set those traps hard, fast, and correctly. Great point about suffocating the guy with the ball and not fouling. That is the way it is taught at every level. Goal one from that trap, as you said, is to get the player to panic and make a poor pass out of the trap. The other 3 are taught to over play passing lanes - looking for live ball turnover and fastbreak.
Yeah, but look at the last few games. During trapping opportunities, our guys are so passive. They don't get it. They leave so much room, it is easy for a player to step through and find the wide open man. If they are taught it, they aren't executing it, and if they aren't executing it, they should be removed and told what they did wrong. But, that doesn't happen this year. No lessons learned and you see the same mistakes the next game and the same opportunities lost.

Jimmy's a good player. We're a better team for having him this year. He's had a few bad games, but more really good ones.

It's just like if we had to play Josh Pace for 36 minutes a game, that would have given us a couple obvious and serious weaknesses - lack of 3 point shooting and too small on the defensive boards to play at the bottom of the zone.

Yeah, but look at the last few games. During trapping opportunities, our guys are so passive. They don't get it. They leave so much room, it is easy for a player to step through and find the wide open man. If they are taught it, they aren't executing it, and if they aren't executing it, they should be removed and told what they did wrong. But, that doesn't happen this year. No lessons learned and you see the same mistakes the next game and the same opportunities lost.
What's "funny" is that one of the things that SU has historically done exceptionally well is set those traps fundamentally perfect (unlike, say, boxing out). Consequently, I'm certain this is much more of an execution issue than coaching.

Jimmy's a good player. We're a better team for having him this year. He's had a few bad games, but more really good ones.

It's just like if we had to play Josh Pace for 36 minutes a game, that would have given us a couple obvious and serious weaknesses - lack of 3 point shooting and too small on the defensive boards to play at the bottom of the zone.
But this is the issue, Jimmy is limited, he should be a bench player who gives you 15 minutes off the bench and provides a scoring spark. Instead he’s a focal point of a team that is our worst in decades. We would be a much better team if we recruited better players and kept some of the pieces who could have changed the whole complexion of this years team instead of building it around the Boeheim brothers.

I guess I just have to accept the fact that we no longer are looking to field competitive teams. Also if jimmy is better then any freshmen coming in this again proves for the 100th time how severely lacking our recruiting is.

The whole situation with the program is just sad.
Bingo

We played Pace 33 mins a game his JR and SR years. We went 23-8 and 27-7. Both years we were ranked in the top 25 throughout.

currently we are 8-8. Let’s not suggest Josh Pace is anything like Jimmy.

What will happen will happen. Before right now, we were projecting that JB3, Buddy and Cole would not be back next year. Where was scoring next year going to come from? JGIII, Jesse, hopefully Benny and maybe Justin or Chris (which I question in his freshman year). That will be possibly 60-63 points including Symir as the point guard.

With the possibility of JB3 and Buddy returning, they may the same amount of points but Syracuse will not be as athetic. I do not see either Jimmy or Buddy improving their draft status by returning for the fifth year.

Syracuse needs to develop some offensive plays for players other than Buddy. It is hard to watch players stand around watching Buddy with the ball trying to score. iMO. They need to have a motion offense with better ball movement and ball handling. Right now, Cole is standing off to the side as a 2nd or 3rd option if Buddy and JGIII can’t score. Need to vary the manner they try to score. They are too predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom