JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

It's not "inevitable", you're right about that part. But there is a big difference between lean muscle and bulky (steroids-induced) muscle mass.
Sure. You can lose flexibility if you're roiding up and only trying get huge, but an athlete adding 10, 20, or even 30 lbs of muscle while consciously working on mobility shouldn't lose range of motion and may even enhance it. Lebron is at least 30 lbs heavier than when he was a rookie and he stsrted out big. Heck, I've even seen a bodybuilder do a split as part of his posing routine.

Sure. You can lose flexibility if you're roiding up and only trying get huge, but an athlete adding 10, 20, or even 30 lbs of muscle while consciously working on mobility shouldn't lose range of motion and may even enhance it. Lebron is at least 30 lbs heavier than when he was a rookie and he stsrted out big. Heck, I've even seen a bodybuilder do a split as part of his posing routine.

30 pounds heavier after 20 years, not one or two.

30 pounds heavier after 20 years, not one or two.
I don't think it took him long to put on weight. I remember hearing commentators talking about him being about 260 during his first stint in Cleveland. He's merely maintained it since then.

I don't think it took him long to put on weight. I remember hearing commentators talking about him being about 260 during his first stint in Cleveland. He's merely maintained it since then.

Yeah Bron made a pretty quick jump adding to his frame.

i remember playing ball up at laker hall and lifting weights before playing totally screwed up your jumper. racquetball on the other hand ...loosened me up and made me faster.

Can you imagine what a player like DC would have done?
Conrad McRae once said that his freshmen year in practice he went for a rebound. He ended up on his back, with DC looking at him, and DC told him around here you go for rebounds hard.
Even more recent guys like Devendorf, Flynn, Rautins, Onuaku, Scoop…that would not have flown with those guys either,

Trading Girard for Starling was one of the biggest possible upgrades we could have executed. They are polar opposites in skillset and playstyle, and that is a very good thing for us. Starling is the prototype NBA PG from a physical perspective. Size, speed and quickness and explosion are all there. With Judah and Starling we will get downhill on everyone, and with just that you basically already have an offense

Trading Girard for Starling was one of the biggest possible upgrades we could have executed. They are polar opposites in skillset and playstyle, and that is a very good thing for us. Starling is the prototype NBA PG from a physical perspective. Size, speed and quickness and explosion are all there. With Judah and Starling we will get downhill on everyone, and with just that you basically already have an offense
I’d take Girards year last year over Starlings. Not saying Starling won’t get good or great here but Girard wasn’t our issue last year.

Doesn’t take a player like DC to speak up for your coach/dad in a situation like the Auburn game. That was a very very embarrassing moment for the team.
We have been unbelievably too many seasons lately. I hate watching teams like that.

Excited to have some dogs play in a system that lets you be a dog.

I’d take Girards year last year over Starlings. Not saying Starling won’t get good or great here but Girard wasn’t our issue last year.
From a statistical perspective it's hard to disagree. But I think Girard was certainly part of the problem last year, and part of our problems over the course of his entire career.

When Joe was running point we were a blunted sword. And it goes far further back than even Joe. Gbinije, Howard. It's hard to be a good PG when you are so inept physically and with the dribble. People would have you believe shooting is the most important skill but for a guard I think it is unequivocally penetration. Penetration = forced movement of the defense = good shots.

His defense, or lack of has been an issue for a few years...
Starling was even worse on D for Notre Dame. I think he’s going to get better, but the expectations for JJ are through the roof right now. He has yet to perform to the level that people in this board expect from him. I think he can, but he hasn’t yet.

Starling was even worse on D for Notre Dame. I think he’s going to get better, but the expectations for JJ are through the roof right now. He has yet to perform to the level that people in this board expect from him. I think he can, but he hasn’t yet.
It’s a fair point but it’s a chance I’m 100% willing to take. Also love the depth at guard and am confident that depth and competition will lead to always having guards in the game who compete on both ends and contribute in multiple ways.

It’s a fair point but it’s a chance I’m 100% willing to take. Also love the depth at guard and am confident that depth and competition will lead to always having guards in the game who compete on both ends and contribute in multiple ways.

I think the best thing for JJ will be that he should be surrounded by NBA level talent with Judah and Westry. Taking some liberties here but in the sense of both Iron sharpens iron as well as there is a clear bar with having a likely first round to early second round pick leading the team.

I certainly feel Joe benefitted from it as Judah started to show how good he can be as Joe really upped his game and showed off more than he had at SU to date. Now you've got JJ whose a much bigger talent who needs to start working towards his ceiling with more talent around him than Joe did.

I think the best thing for JJ will be that he should be surrounded by NBA level talent with Judah and Westry. Taking some liberties here but in the sense of both Iron sharpens iron as well as there is a clear bar with having a likely first round to early second round pick leading the team.

I certainly feel Joe benefitted from it as Judah started to show how good he can be as Joe really upped his game and showed off more than he had at SU to date. Now you've got JJ whose a much bigger talent who needs to start working towards his ceiling with more talent around him than Joe did.
If Chance pops…..things could come easily for JJ this year.

He wasn’t our issue but he has zero upside. He should be the spot shooter 7th man on a good team - not a volume starting shooting guard. We are getting back to where we need to be from a talent perspective to be competitive.

That's why it's nice that we appear to have 4 or 5 guys who can all play in the backcourt.

i remember playing ball up at laker hall and lifting weights before playing totally screwed up your jumper. racquetball on the other hand ...loosened me up and made me faster.
You don't lift weights immediately before any precision skill activity. That is something that has been known for many years in the S&C community.

I agree. Having two fast guards is much different than having just one. Its kind of like chess. Much better to have both of your knights, both of your bishops, or even , I suppose, both of your rooks.

Find it hard to believe JJ was worse on defense. Girard sat in a zone all year its apples to oranges. I’ll take a bigger, faster, taller, quicker guy any day for defense, press, running the court and rebounding. Girard is a better spot up shooter and FT shooter. Girard would get abused playing M2M

i'm very curious to see how the back court minutes shake down under red.
unfortunately we now live in a world where if you ain't playing you gone. patience and waiting your turn is out the window. and they're shopping for a paycheck.
new rules for a new coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom