JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

i'm very curious to see how the back court minutes shake down under red.
unfortunately we now live in a world where if you ain't playing you gone. patience and waiting your turn is out the window. and they're shopping for a paycheck.
new rules for a new coach.

I anticipate a lot of rotation of players, to keep the tempo high. I hope to see 10 or 11 players in every game, because if he plays that many, we will be dogging people on defense.

i'm very curious to see how the back court minutes shake down under red.
unfortunately we now live in a world where if you ain't playing you gone. patience and waiting your turn is out the window. and they're shopping for a paycheck.
new rules for a new coach.
Who is going to leave? The kid from Kansas can't really go anywhere. Neither can Chance or JJ. Copeland and Taylor could leave. But that happened before. Kids have always left for more playing time.

Who is going to leave? The kid from Kansas can't really go anywhere. Neither can Chance or JJ. Copeland and Taylor could leave. But that happened before. Kids have always left for more playing time.

I think if Red plays enough guys, and demands the right kind of effort, they are all going to get an opportunity to shine. Let's say you are Cuffe. Bad timing on a subsequent injury, but he'll be healthy by December. So he'll be back another year. Maybe one of Copeland or Taylor portals, but maybe not, especially if 2 or 3 other guys are leaving. We currently have 3 or 4 guys who could go pro in the next couple years. It's unlikely that they will ALL have great seasons, but you never know.

Find it hard to believe JJ was worse on defense. Girard sat in a zone all year its apples to oranges. I’ll take a bigger, faster, taller, quicker guy any day for defense, press, running the court and rebounding. Girard is a better spot up shooter and FT shooter. Girard would get abused playing M2M
Very interested to see how he does in that regard, and what his role on the team is at Clemson this coming season.

well like i said new coach. we've always had talent on the bench but JB would only go 6-7 deep. we gotta a lot of guards who can play. some are transfers who expect PT. all bring different skills. is this indeed a NEW ERA ?
or will we see the same old same old my mentor jb part deux and guys leaving. we are loaded. let's play them !
i really do have high hopes for this crew if red can work out a formula to use this group of guards as a weapon.

Very interested to see how he does in that regard, and what his role on the team is at Clemson this coming season.
You could tell by his list that he wanted to start at a P5 school - if he was willing to come off the bench or be ok with a limited role (15mpg) he probably could have played anywhere in the country.

So I think at the very least he’ll start for Clemson

You could tell by his list that he wanted to start at a P5 school - if he was willing to come off the bench or be ok with a limited role (15mpg) he probably could have played anywhere in the country.

Agreed.

Looking at Clemsons roster they are going to be very limited athletically but lots of offense and shooting.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS ! 1 badger in the backcourt and man to man after mid court.
let's see some "in your shorts " defense for a change. you get winded. next up.

We will punish Clemson this year.

Agree
I hope so but PJ Hall should isn’t someone I want up against McLeod and if Starling plays defense like he did last year and Girard can get some clean looks it could get ugly.

Our defense could be super bad this year, especially if we’re facing centers who aren’t strictly post guys.

I hope so but PJ Hall should isn’t someone I want up against McLeod and if Starling plays defense like he did last year and Girard can get some clean looks it could get ugly.

Our defense could be super bad this year, especially if we’re facing centers who aren’t strictly post guys.
Will be interesting to see our defense. I think if we’re facing teams with a stretch 5, we’d have to see a lot of Brown at the 5 for us that game?

The posts about Westry not scrimmaging yet have me a bit worried - we need him to be a menace on defense. I don’t see that coming from Bell or Taylor(maybe they can be adequate), so having Chance be a major plus on that end would be huge for the team….because Judah is going to get after it, and Benny and Brown should at least be ok. FSU transfer should make a big impact, particularly in games where the opposing center is not a shooter.

Problem for Clemson is they lack much of anything in the way of guys on the ball. As good as Hall is he's losing the guy that opened up everything for him last year and honestly made everything work for them.

We could of course be pathetically bad on defense. The odds of that aren't high but it's all about how things look once we get a look at things.

Back to Clemson though- teams that pressure them are gonna give them fits - at least on paper.

Will be interesting to see our defense. I think if we’re facing teams with a stretch 5, we’d have to see a lot of Brown at the 5 for us that game?

The posts about Westry not scrimmaging yet have me a bit worried - we need him to be a menace on defense. I don’t see that coming from Bell or Taylor(maybe they can be adequate), so having Chance be a major plus on that end would be huge for the team….because Judah is going to get after it, and Benny and Brown should at least be ok. FSU transfer should make a big impact, particularly in games where the opposing center is not a shooter.
It's August. I'm not worrying about someone being able to go full out right now.

It's August. I'm not worrying about someone being able to go full out right now.

Wagering a guess ( not asking for confirmation)- but he may be a tad prone to soreness/tendinitis if it's still a knee and thus something to be a bit cautious with until it's crunch time come a month out from now.

If we are going to be flexible on D as has been noted- and push the tempo possibly pressure the ball frequently it should make it much more difficult to get beat too much with stretch bigs given Mcleod is very much able to get up and down the court ( its the switching and lateral movement thats the concern). That said it's absolutely where Brown is key if a team wants to play 5 out. Having a team that could switch to a match up zone- given the size and length is a nice change up. Red hasn't shied away in interviews that this will be a possibility even with a base mtm D.

Not sure if this was posted, but flipping through Lindy's top 150 players and see that JJ is ranked as the 29th best player in the country. Pretty impressive considering that Judah is ranked 47th. We know Judah gets no respect at all, but if JJ is considered that much better than him, then we definitely will have one of the very best backcourt in the country. And FYI, both JJ and Judah are chosen for the ACC 2nd team.

To criticize Lindy's, they ranked the top ten backcourt and no respect for our guys. So F Lindy's.

And spoiler alert, Jesse is ranked 53rd and JG3 is ranked 105th.

Not sure if this was posted, but flipping through Lindy's top 150 players and see that JJ is ranked as the 29th best player in the country. Pretty impressive considering that Judah is ranked 47th. We know Judah gets no respect at all, but if JJ is considered that much better than him, then we definitely will have one of the very best backcourt in the country. And FYI, both JJ and Judah are chosen for the ACC 2nd team.

And spoiler alert, Jesse is ranked 53rd and JG3 is ranked 105th.
No disrespect to JJ, but Judah was by far the better player last year. It’s a bit weird to me to see so many analysts say JJ is ranked ahead of him. It appears they’re still looking at last years recruiting rankings.

No disrespect to JJ, but Judah was by far the better player last year. It’s a bit weird to me to see so many analysts say JJ is ranked ahead of him. It appears they’re still looking at last years recruiting rankings.
Maybe because JJ is bigger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom