JJ Starling | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling

Yeah, something doesn't add up there. I hope he can get it fixed/rehabbed/healed/etc. It would suck for him to have such potential be taken away.

Ya I’m really really worried about him. I do understand that him and Mintz maybe dont compliment each other perfectly but JJ should be doing so much more
The play where starling drove into the defender and turned it over vs passing to a wide open Mintz was my personal favorite. He also had a number of turnovers today… hopefully just an off game. But yeah it’s getting late early with him.

It’s tough when he doesn’t have a jump shot. Not really a hot take what I’m about to say but he’ll be back next year.

He’ll be running the point next year in Judah’s spot. You’ll have either Moore, Cuffe or Justin Taylor starting at the 2 next year. All of which are MUCH better shooters than Mintz and JJ. They compliment JJ better and JJ will be the guard that can get past his guy, drive and kick out. To be honest JJ and Judah are too similar of players in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Their strengths and weaknesses are pretty much the same. I think JJ will have a much better season next year when he’s the lead guard and the off guard will be a much better shooter to spread the defense out more. The lane is too congested for him right now when he gets into the paint. JJ is not having a problem beating his guy off the dribble, he’s having a tough time finishing around the rim, his jumpshot is not good and he’s had a couple sloppy turnovers.

It’s tough when he doesn’t have a jump shot. Not really a hot take what I’m about to say but he’ll be back next year.

He’ll be running the point next year in Judah’s spot. You’ll have either Moore, Cuffe or Justin Taylor starting at the 2 next year. All of which are MUCH better shooters than Mintz and JJ. They compliment JJ better and JJ will be the guard that can get past his guy, drive and kick out. To be honest JJ and Judah are too similar of players in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Their strengths and weaknesses are pretty much the same. I think JJ will have a much better season next year when he’s the lead guard and the off guard will be a much better shooter to spread the defense out more. The lane is too congested for him right now when he gets into the paint. JJ is not having a problem beating his guy off the dribble, he’s having a tough time finishing around the rim, his jumpshot is not good and he’s had a couple sloppy turnovers.
My main point was his jumpshot used to be very good. He looks like he’s ailing

100% agree. I was just saying some other things I see and what can help. His jump shot is a mess and very clearly not like it was in high school. I’m sure it has to do with his shoulder. There’s no way a coach at ND or Cuse taught him a release like that. His shoulder is bothering him and making him shoot like that

100% agree. I was just saying some other things I see and what can help. His jump shot is a mess and very clearly not like it was in high school. I’m sure it has to do with his shoulder. There’s no way a coach at ND or Cuse taught him a release like that. His shoulder is bothering him and making him shoot like that
It’s quite sad. Feel for him

He’s developed a weird hitch in his jump shot. Don’t know if that happened at ND but it’s clearly hurting him.

It appears to me JJ is running the pg right now and Mintz is playing more off ball.

Chance Westry will be running the PG spot next season if he’s healthy. He’s a really gifted passer and distributor. Hopefully JJ can fix his shot and be the starting shooting guard.

i find it problematic that he cant dribble or shoot or pass. other than that..hes exactly what we need.

His shot is FUBAR. It's the rest of his game that is surprisingly bad to me. He is not good on D, can't finish, and is not aware of people on the court. Picked from behind last night, gives up a backdoor dunk every game.
Getting Judah off the ball has been his biggest contribution but soon teams are going to guard him like he's Doug Gottlieb.

Chance Westry will be running the PG spot next season if he’s healthy. He’s a really gifted passer and distributor. Hopefully JJ can fix his shot and be the starting shooting guard.
I think it will likely be the opposite to be honest. Especially if his shot is unfixable.

Hurting your shoulder and playing in pain does change your mechanics. His shot looks funky and I wonder if his muscle memory got screwed up with the injury?

Ya I’m really really worried about him. I do understand that him and Mintz maybe dont compliment each other perfectly but JJ should be doing so much more
He is adjusting to a new team. For the first time in his life he is not the lead dog. Couple that with wanting to meet expectations of friends and family. I think he will find his way and be fine. He is not a second Judah, but how many of those are there?

He is adjusting to a new team. For the first time in his life he is not the lead dog. Couple that with wanting to meet expectations of friends and family. I think he will find his way and be fine. He is not a second Judah, but how many of those are there?
He was a McDonalds All American that was thought of as a potential lottery pick and now his game is a mess.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom