Joe Girard transferring to Clemson | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard transferring to Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were 5-5 in their last 10
None of the 5 wins were over probable tourney teams.

Facts.

Agreed. I think that some posters might have a more favorable opinion of how that season ended because of the blowout win over UNC at the end.

Team wasn't very good, and would not have been an NCAA tournament team without winning the ACCT. But ending on a high note may influence how some view the team that season.

JG's minutes were near the top of P5 guards during most of his career. Just not warranted imo.

“Near the top”. Not true. How can that be true? He wasn’t even top 10 this year in the ACC alone (11th) let alone all of P5. Maybe you define near the top differently.

I wish Joe nothing but the best. He took more crap than any SU player that I can remember. Hope he finds a home where he can have a banner finish to his career. He deserves it.

Although he ended up in the Falk School, I am almost positive that he started out in Newhouse. Some majors always stand out to me. Jesse is a Biotechnology major and I think Chris is in the Maxwell School. Nice to see guys challenge themselves academically as well as athletically. A few years back there was a football player in a demanding technical major and he said he really had to push back on Dino trying to force him into an easy major.
You are correct, according to Girard’s bio from his Freshman year it says he enrolled in Newhouse.

Found it on the internet archive.

Who else (on the team) should have played more?
Shame on JB that he was caught in a situation where he had to play a guy out of position for extraordinary minutes, whether he had better options or not. Any option off the bench would have provided a lift on defense.

Most folks would say that JG's best attribute was his long range shooting. He was a career 36% 3FG shooter, just like Buddy. Drives me nuts when pundits declare these guys as marksmen from deep.

Shame on JB that he was caught in a situation where he had to play a guy out of position for extraordinary minutes, whether he had better options or not. Any option off the bench would have provided a lift on defense.

Most folks would say that JG's best attribute was his long range shooting. He was a career 36% 3FG shooter, just like Buddy. Drives me nuts when pundits declare these guys as marksmen from deep.
They are marksmen, the usage is the question.

Thanks i hope that Joes focus is on getting the best degree possible to help set him up for his future. Go to a great academic school over a basketball factory. Gtown might be an opportunity, Duke if he stayed in the league, Northwestern, Michigan Vanderbilt would be some of the schools i would hope he would pursue
Good post! Exactly along my line of thinking. He has one more year. leverage it as a career launcher. He may try to play a few years overseas with Jimmer but prepare for his future life. I would give him the same advice I give my relatives and friends children as they prepare to enter the "job world". Find a career you love to do. It is a long difficult life, when you go to work everyday wishing you were doing something different.

Shooting percentage doesn’t tell the story with JB’s offenses. We’ve had few guys with great percentages because he would rather have his main guys take terrible shots then give the ball to the Tyler Roberson and Benny Williams of the world.

Outside of Andy Rautins and Girard last year I can’t remember when anyone shot 40% for us. It was a bug in JB’s scheme.

That said I don’t think some of you have seen some guards that played for tournament teams this year. Girard was better than both of those scrubs that played for Purdue. If he’s on their team they don’t lose in round one.

“Near the top”. Not true. How can that be true? He wasn’t even top 10 this year in the ACC alone (11th) let alone all of P5. Maybe you define near the top differently.
I've always been impressed with your ability to make the #s say what you want them to say. It's true he finished 11th in minutes at 34.7 but nearly all of the ten guys ahead of him averaged less than a minute more than JG. In other words his #s were essentially right in line with those other players. So yeah he was near the top of the ACC in terms of minutes played. You can go through D-1 roster after roster and most guys (even far more accomplished than JG) do not play 35 min a night.

I wish Joe nothing but the best. He took more crap than any SU player that I can remember. Hope he finds a home where he can have a banner finish to his career. He deserves it.

Although he ended up in the Falk School, I am almost positive that he started out in Newhouse. Some majors always stand out to me. Jesse is a Biotechnology major and I think Chris is in the Maxwell School. Nice to see guys challenge themselves academically as well as athletically. A few years back there was a football player in a demanding technical major and he said he really had to push back on Dino trying to force him into an easy major.
I used to see Tyus’s folder in the iSchool’s sql server. Always wondered what kind of databases he was building. Maybe it was empty lol.

Buddy is shooting 4 points higher from 3 in the G League then he did at Syracuse last year.

So he either suddenly learned how to shoot or he doesn’t need to take garbage shots anymore because he’s surrounded by better players.

They are marksmen, the usage is the question.
I think most folks need to be 40%+ (obv with volume) in college ball to be considered an elite three point shooter.

Buddy is shooting 4 points higher from 3 in the G League then he did at Syracuse last year.

So he either suddenly learned how to shoot or he doesn’t need to take garbage shots anymore because he’s surrounded by better players.
Fair point.

Shooting percentage doesn’t tell the story with JB’s offenses. We’ve had few guys with great percentages because he would rather have his main guys take terrible shots then give the ball to the Tyler Roberson and Benny Williams of the world.

Outside of Andy Rautins and Girard last year I can’t remember when anyone shot 40% for us. It was a bug in JB’s scheme.

That said I don’t think some of you have seen some guards that played for tournament teams this year. Girard was better than both of those scrubs that played for Purdue. If he’s on their team they don’t lose in round one.
Tend to agree with your first paragraph but that's rather damning of JB, no? Which is my main point and not just a critique of JG. Btw by the end of the year Bennie Williams looked like a better 3FG shooter than JG.

The Purdue guards did stink but then again weren't they both freshmen?

Tend to agree with your first paragraph but that's rather damning of JB, no? Which is my main point and not just a critique of JG. Btw by the end of the year Bennie Williams looked like a better 3FG shooter than JG.

The Purdue guards did stink but then again weren't they both freshmen?
Yes. I hated JB’s offense once the talent level decreased. We didn’t do ourselves any favors giving our teams good looks. Watching Creighton and Princetons sets last night looked like a different sport to me.

Smith was a freshman. Loyer is 23 years old.

It all depends on the school, and what his goals are.

After 4 years with only a Sweet 16 to show for it, maybe he would be willing to be a 3rd guard for a team in the top 4 of one of the P5 conferences. That might work out to 20 minutes a game as a combo guard, and he might do really well, surrounded by other good players, where he wasn't the focal point.

Or, if he wanted to go to a mid-level team in a P5 conference, he could start.

And on a G5 team, he could find a school where he would be "The Man."

It's all about what he's looking for. He worked hard for us. We didn't have a lot of success with him on the roster, but the kid can play.
I feel your last paragraph sums it up for me, along with the thought he was asked to play a role not suitable to his strengths. Simply a bag of mixed feelings on this as well as everything else since the season ended.

I've always been impressed with your ability to make the #s say what you want them to say. It's true he finished 11th in minutes at 34.7 but nearly all of the ten guys ahead of him averaged less than a minute more than JG. In other words his #s were essentially right in line with those other players. So yeah he was near the top of the ACC in terms of minutes played. You can go through D-1 roster after roster and most guys (even far more accomplished than JG) do not play 35 min a night.

I’m only looking at the facts and countering your statements that you pose as facts. And while I’m not going to do any more research for you, a quick look at the ncaa site this year Joe doesn’t appear in the top 50 list. You and a few others act like he was averaging 38mpg like Buddy did.

Yes. I hated JB’s offense once the talent level decreased. We didn’t do ourselves any favors giving our teams good looks. Watching Creighton and Princetons sets last night looked like a different sport to me.

Smith was a freshman. Loyer is 23 years old.
I thought Loyer was a FR.

I’m only looking at the facts and countering your statements that you pose as facts. And while I’m not going to do any more research for you, a quick look at the ncaa site this year Joe doesn’t appear in the top 50 list. You and a few others act like he was averaging 38mpg like Buddy did.
That probably encompasses over 1700 D-1 starters so the top 50 would be in the 97th percentile of all starting players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom