Jon Rothstein live from Cuse practice today | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jon Rothstein live from Cuse practice today

Nonsense--that would be more about shoe horning Lydon in at 3 to get him in the starting lineup than White's capabilities as a 2.

Even if it works out that way, he won't be playing there much--the quick first sub would shift players around to other positions, a la the 2010 team.
We shall see

I don't follow any of this as close as I used to but that the roster change, in the middle of sanctions, seems remarkable. It's NBAish.

Biggest sanction impact is we have only 10 recruits under scholarship out of a possible roster of 13. We don't have all that we could have numbers-wise but obviously we're not short on talent. We've always given out scholarships to one or two walk ons anyway. This year: we could give three.

We need to get through the year without any major injuries.

Last edited:
BTW, I think the FT shooting is going to be vastly, vastly superior to what we've had in recent years.[/QUOTE]

tumblr_ms2nllBIDb1s7wneso2_250.gif

Biggest sanction impact is we have only 10 recruits under scholarship out of a possible roster of 13. We don't have all that we could have numbers-wise but obviously we're not short on talent. We've always given out scholarships to one or two walk ons anyway. This year: we could give three.

We need to get through the year without any major injuries.

I don't think injuries are a major concern unless it happens to someone named Tyler, there is plenty of depth. The sanction impact is the fact that there is no team next year, there isn't much of a development pipeline.

I don't think injuries are a major concern unless it happens to someone named Tyler, there is plenty of depth. The sanction impact is the fact that there is no team next year, there isn't much of a development pipeline.

There are others we cannot afford to lose. Battle is a huge component, for example.

Great point on the the developmental pipeline. I wasn't insinuating only having ten hurts us as things stand, just pointing out it was a sanctions impact to some extent.

JB hasn't had 13 players on scholarship in 10 years. He might use a couple of walk-one, but I can't remember when he had more than 11. Getting down to the sanction limit was the difficult part. You never know who might go pro. We've had a couple of suprises over the past couple years that has put us behind the eight ball.

JB hasn't had 13 players on scholarship in 10 years. He might use a couple of walk-one, but I can't remember when he had more than 11. Getting down to the sanction limit was the difficult part. You never know who might go pro. We've had a couple of suprises over the past couple years that has put us behind the eight ball.

The whole thing has been weird, numbers-wise. A few short months ago, it was looking like we'd only have 8 guys, then we got TT and AW3.

dasher said:
Lydon is our best player. He starts

Lydon has put on significant bulk and he's shooting the tick out of the ball. He's starting.

White is having a terrific early camp. He is All-Business. If he keeps it up, he will be up there with Wes as one of our best transfers.

Those two have established themselves.

As indicated above, it'll be: 2) White 3) Lydon 4) Roberson 5) Coleman?

If Battle gets the nod, that starting lineup would be really short on ball handling. The backcourt would be huge.

Jake So it is this lineup above and just PG to be decided? Could Battle start at point or is it only between Gillon and Frankie?

Really? I don't think it's a given that White doesn't fill the role Waiters had and be our turbo power off the bench.
Dcuse, I think you are correct here. Relative to our competition, and JB's assessment thereof, there will likely be different starting lineups and various players playing the sixth man role. Right now it's all conjecture, but that's what I see. This might just make everybody "right" on this board. One thing for sure...gonna be a fun season for us fans.

Dcuse, I think you are correct here. Relative to our competition, and JB's assessment thereof, there will likely be different starting lineups and various players playing the sixth man role. Right now it's all conjecture, but that's what I see. This might just make everybody "right" on this board. One thing for sure...gonna be a fun season for us fans.

JB rarely changes starting lineups strategically. How the game goes dictates changes to whom is on the court but typically not for the opening tip.

Last edited:
JB starts shooters and brings athletes off the bench. His philosophy is that there's too much pressure on shooters to come in cold to try to impact a game.

He believes energy guys are much more effective in this role. Think Pace, KJo, Dion.

It's why he doesn't bench shooters like Gmac, Andy, Devo, Trevor. He feels starting them gives them the best chance to succeed.

Barring injury, White starts.

iommi said:
Jake So it is this lineup above and just PG to be decided? Could Battle start at point or is it only between Gillon and Frankie?

I think something major would have to occur for those four not to start.

PG I think is a three person competition, but I think it'll come down to Gillon and Frank. Long way to go here though.

JB starts shooters and brings athletes off the bench. His philosophy is that there's too much pressure on shooters to come in cold to try to impact a game.

He believes energy guys are much more effective in this role. Think Pace, KJo, Dion.

It's why he doesn't bench shooters like Gmac, Andy, Devo, Trevor. He feels starting them gives them the best chance to succeed.

Jake, I like this analysis. I overlooked this aspect when I said that JB might show various starting lineups according to who we are playing. Thanks to you and Iommi for setting me right on this. Makes sense. Go 'Cuse.

I think something major would have to occur for those four not to start.

PG I think is a three person competition, but I think it'll come down to Gillon and Frank. Long way to go here though.

Yeah, figured that.

JB told Rothstein that Battle is "as good as any freshman in the country," but chances are he will come off the bench. We knew there would be an odd man out of the starting lineup and it would be a very good player. Turns out it might be arguably our most multi-talented recruit since Melo.

We are loaded.

JB starts shooters and brings athletes off the bench.

If he is the DNic clone that I keep hearing he his, then he's better suited to start, and wouldn't have that spark in his game, at either end, that JB likes his 6th man to possess.

Lydon has put on significant bulk and he's shooting the tick out of the ball. He's starting.

White is having a terrific early camp. He is All-Business. If he keeps it up, he will be up there with Wes as one of our best transfers.

Those two have established themselves.

Schwing!

Cuseman4, I don't mean to aim this at you, because you have been bringing outstanding info to the board, but your post is a convenient way for me to highlight this point.

The reports on here about what's been happening in practice are extremely exaggerated. It has turned into a huge example of the telephone game--it started out this summer as, "Wow, Howard is really impressive in summer workouts--he's gotten a lot better," to "I saw him outplay Gillon in an unstructured pickup game," and has now morphed into "he's eating Gillon up so far."

The escalation of how much Howard is destroying Gillon has been funny to read these past few weeks. It is almost like the observation gets more embellished each time it's passed along. Francis [who I love] makes one offhanded comment about it in his podcast, and then it gets picked up by the board as "fact."

For reasons that I will outline in my annual fall practice summary in the next week or so, let me reassure everybody that such reports have been greatly exaggerated. Howard might still end up starting at PG, but it will have nothing to do with him "eating up Gillon" or Gillon not being sufficiently capable.

Your report (which for several years running I always look forward to) couldn't come soon enough.

Yeah, figured that.

JB told Rothstein that Battle is "as good as any freshman in the country," but chances are he will come off the bench. We knew there would be an odd man out of the starting lineup and it would be a very good player. Turns out it might be arguably our most multi-talented recruit since Melo.

We are loaded.
Is the bench part not in quotes on purpose

Jake - I don't think I've read your thoughts on White playing defense at the top of the zone. Do you really think he has the lateral speed and quickness to not give Boeheim a heart attack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom