Jonathan Burton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jonathan Burton

I guess we're supposed to feel lucky that we were the only ones to find and offer him
Some people said that about Macky and didn't even deserve to be on the team. How's that panning out so far? I trust the staff and their judgement - so far so good, don't you think??

Mackey has improved dramatically but he was pressed into service a year early. Fortunately we are deeper now and won't have to play guys before they are ready.

I guess we're supposed to feel lucky that we were the only ones to find and offer him
Spoken like a true...
t174085_0_150x150.jpg

Not to mention Arthur and Chandler Jones.

Add Phil Thomas to that list too. Pretty much Marrone's first class was a great example of how this staff can identify talent late in the game that will be solid contributors to the two deep at some point during their careers.

Burton may or may not work out. He may be a B lister. He may be getting an offer because we whiffed on someone else. Whatever the reason, this staff deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Mackey has improved dramatically but he was pressed into service a year early. Fortunately we are deeper now and won't have to play guys before they are ready.
Good assessment.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Welcome, Mr. Burton!

Good to see a commit from a highschool lineman.

I would love to see this player dominate our Oline in 3 years just to prove our staff can find & develop raw talent. God why do our fans keep doubting our coaching staff?

Nobody else offered Jason Bromley out of high school... is he any good?

Edit: I'm agreeing with you chakka... my response was really towards previous posts.

Hey, it might all work out to our benefit but I don't think anyone can argue that recruiting this year has exactly gone to plan. Not that it ever does but there are an alarming number of reaches this year late in the process. It could all work out but I'd feel a lot better about things if we were beating BCS schools for these kids than N. Michigan. Fork Union isn't exactly an under-the-radar kind of place. At this point we're betting that our coaches are a lot smarter and a lot better at development than most other staffs. But I think if just one of these juco/prep kids becomes a capable starter, then we've done real well for ourselves. Next year hopefully the average recruit profile will look different.

These players are reaches according to who ??

Welcome, Mr. Burton!

Good to see a commit from a highschool lineman.

Agreed. Looks like the kid has the raw materials--size and good feet--the rest is up to Burton and the coaching staff.

These players are reaches according to who ??

Random folks that have never seen them play apperently.

Teams usually don't reach for players in Decemeber if they think theyll still be avail later on. Hoping this guy is a january enrollee though.

Is it my imagination but it seems like we are recruiting increasing height & size with each class of recruits since Marrone started? I remember vividly during the GRob era when Ped St was in the Dome and our guys looked so much smaller than them. I wonder how we will line up next year as compared to them. That will be one tell tale sign to me about how far we have come since GRob era.

Is it my imagination but it seems like we are recruiting increasing height & size with each class of recruits since Marrone started? I remember vividly during the GRob era when Ped St was in the Dome and our guys looked so much smaller than them. I wonder how we will line up next year as compared to them. That will be one tell tale sign to me about how far we have come since GRob era.

Eh, we got big guys under Robinson. Tucker Baumbach (6'5, 335), Jonathan Meldrum (6'5, 300), Adam Rosner (6'6, 310), Ian Allport (6'5, 300), Nick Lepak (6'5, 330), Nick Speller (6'5, 300) (All heights and weights from Rivals, everyone gets smaller on the actual roster).

They just all stunk.

(And were offensive linemen. Size at the other positions, like wide receiver, was way lacking.)

Some of you are like a broken record. The staff knows what they are doing.

Also, even if a kid doesn't work out, that isn't the end of the world nor is it a check against the staff. Kids at Bama and Florida don't work out all the time. Go shovel some snow.

The staff always seems to come up with a couple of NR or two stars types at the end of the recruiting season that we knew nothing about until they are offered. They know that a D1 offer will draw everyone's attention and there is no need to do that. They have a good track record of evaluating these guys and coaching them up. I think this is one of the staff's most impressive talents.

If we're going to "reach" on a kid, especially a lineman, I like the idea of "reaching" on a kid with those numbers. 6'7 305 is a long way from 6'3 330 tubs o' goo.

A kid who sough improvement by doing a post-grad year at a well regarded prep school; he had an extra year of strength and skill development, crucial for a lineman. He'll be coming in the full eligibility yet he's had an extra year to finish growing and maturing. Then he's coming in for Spring practice and an extra semester and summer of S&C work, skill development, and learning the playbook. What's not to like? He's depth at a position of need.

I swear some of the people on this board could b!tch with a tit in their mouth.

Exactly... all I've heard for the past 2 weeks is people bitching about all of the JUCOs... now we get a commit from a huge OL that has full eligibility to develop and people still bitch and moan. If anyone thinks that Syracuse is going to be a selector school anytime soon, they are going to be dissappointed. Players like this are a tremendous opportunity... OL takes alot of development typically, and he has the time to do it. I think we land 1 or 2 more JUCO OL and by the time this kids is ready, he'll be able to step in and start or provide quality depth.

One thing I remember was a thread a few years ago that talked about Schiano "chuckling" when asked about Zach Chibane and what he thought about Syracuse offering him a scholarship... he didn't think that Chibane was worthy of a scholarship offer even though he was from NJ.

But, Marrone did... and he ended up with an excellent offensive linemen that started for a couple years and did well at the BCS level.

Eh, we got big guys under Robinson. Tucker Baumbach (6'5, 335), Jonathan Meldrum (6'5, 300), Adam Rosner (6'6, 310), Ian Allport (6'5, 300), Nick Lepak (6'5, 330), Nick Speller (6'5, 300) (All heights and weights from Rivals, everyone gets smaller on the actual roster).

They just all stunk.

(And were offensive linemen. Size at the other positions, like wide receiver, was way lacking.)

I think the biggest improvement has been in the trenches on the defensive size. Were recruiting 6'3+ 300-330 lbers vs 6'0 270 lbers at DT now. The better look the D line gives in practice, the better the O Line will get. Iron sharpens iron and what not.

If we're going to "reach" on a kid, especially a lineman, I like the idea of "reaching" on a kid with those numbers. 6'7 305 is a long way from 6'3 330 tubs o' goo.

A kid who sough improvement by doing a post-grad year at a well regarded prep school; he had an extra year of strength and skill development, crucial for a lineman. He'll be coming in the full eligibility yet he's had an extra year to finish growing and maturing. Then he's coming in for Spring practice and an extra semester and summer of S&C work, skill development, and learning the playbook. What's not to like? He's depth at a position of need.

Personally, I find the other side of this argument just as funny. A poster above trying to explain the late December offer by wondering if the staff was holding back on offering him so as not to arouse the interests of other D-1 schools. Is that serious? Admitting that fall recruiting this year isn't exactly going by the binder is probably a more realistic outlook than trying to come up with some flattering explanation why SU and N. Michigan are the only schools on this kid. Hope I'm wrong but as I said before, if we get one capable starter out of this group of jucos and preps, that would be great (and a great testament to the coaching staff). Hoping for more is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.