Jonathan Burton | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jonathan Burton

The staff has established their cred with respect to player evaluations. What some here think are stretch kids the staff probably does not. I have learned to trust their judgment. As far as the JUCO's go, I don't care where the talent comes from. We have more talent and depth than anytime in more than a decade. Yes, it is fun to be an armchair coach but we shouldn't get carried away with ourselves, especially with respect to recruiting.

Agreed. Looks like the kid has the raw materials--size and good feet--the rest is up to Burton and the coaching staff.
Pretty much. I don't have an issue with bringing in the JUCO OLs to improve depth and compete, but we needed to get some developmental OLs in this class. Now to coach him up.

Personally, I find the other side of this argument just as funny. A poster above trying to explain the late December offer by wondering if the staff was holding back on offering him so as not to arouse the interests of other D-1 schools. Is that serious? Admitting that fall recruiting this year isn't exactly going by the binder is probably a more realistic outlook than trying to come up with some flattering explanation why SU and N. Michigan are the only schools on this kid. Hope I'm wrong but as I said before, if we get one capable starter out of this group of jucos and preps, that would be great (and a great testament to the coaching staff). Hoping for more is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

I understand what your saying but this is the difference. This staff has shown the ability to turn no offer/limited offer kids into important parts of the team. If the staff didn't have the history of doing that, then you would be correct in your evaluation. So I don't think anyone on here is over-evaluating the talent or setting themselves up for disappointment.

Personally, I find the other side of this argument just as funny. A poster above trying to explain the late December offer by wondering if the staff was holding back on offering him so as not to arouse the interests of other D-1 schools. Is that serious? Admitting that fall recruiting this year isn't exactly going by the binder is probably a more realistic outlook than trying to come up with some flattering explanation why SU and N. Michigan are the only schools on this kid. Hope I'm wrong but as I said before, if we get one capable starter out of this group of jucos and preps, that would be great (and a great testament to the coaching staff). Hoping for more is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.
As usual, you are.

"...if we get one capable starter out of this group of jucos and preps, that would be great..." Really??? I guess you've missed players such as Diet Tab, Spruill, Tiller, Hay, Goggins, Brewster, King etc play the last four years.

Next year we have Arciniega, Williams, Miller, Kelly and Kirkland coming in who all have very good chance of making immediate contributions. Apparently you're a star gazer looking for positive confirmation from one of the services. Personally, I think this staff has proven they deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to talent evaluation.

As usual, you are.

"...if we get one capable starter out of this group of jucos and preps, that would be great..." Really??? I guess you've missed players such as Diet Tab, Spruill, Tiller, Hay, Goggins, Brewster, King etc play the last four years.

Next year we have Arciniega, Williams, Miller, Kelly and Kirkland coming in who all have very good chance of making immediate contributions. Apparently you're a star gazer looking for positive confirmation from one of the services. Personally, I think this staff has proven they deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to talent evaluation.

We're not talking about the quite the same things but that's okay, continue your rant. Couldn't give a toss about stars. I think in general we want to be getting recruits that are being courted by our peers but maybe that's just me. Out of the group you mentioned, only one was a complete unknown in recruiting circles and even we didn't give him an offer. Even when you wind up with a moderately to highly recruited juco or prep, things don't always work out. Just because Hay and Tiller were starters doesn't mean that they were altogether capable. Hope we strike gold with these guys but I'd feel better about it if other major D-1 coaching staffs felt the same way.

We've had numerous staffs come in on many of our players with low numbers of offers as it gets later in the process. Having a kid like this, who we have recruited for months with no other competition and is now committed means if another school comes into recruit him late we will have a huge upper hand. We do this on occasion, and it is smart for our staff to keep one in the back pocket. Sure, you can say that recruiting hasn't worked out like we wanted it to, but as I've said numerous times, it is because of things that changed during the fall than our targets not working out.

You don't offer a C lister in December though.

I'm one of those who complain, because I'm impatient. I'm a fan, I want SU to win. I recognize the value of JUCO's in this recruiting class, but as someone mentioned in an earlier post, the three we missed out did sign with good schools, and they were ranked in the top 100 JUCO's (Scout?), none of the ones we signed were ranked. The other school I follow is Vandy, who have stuck forever, new coach two years ago, two top 20 recruiting classes, two bowls, only one JC, and might get ranked with bowl win. So I'm tainted by that. I did a little research. Of the top 25 teams in the current poll, 20 are BCS teams. Of the 20, only two, Northwestern and KState do not have an average Rivals recruiting ranking over the past four years of 20 or better. Definate correlation, so although those rankings are not gurantees of success and there is much untapped talent to recruit (more players that scholarships). Marrone definately coaches'em up, let's get even better talent and then watch. Many downplay the recruiting rankings, but what would happen if the got better

We've had numerous staffs come in on many of our players with low numbers of offers as it gets later in the process. Having a kid like this, who we have recruited for months with no other competition and is now committed means if another school comes into recruit him late we will have a huge upper hand. We do this on occasion, and it is smart for our staff to keep one in the back pocket. Sure, you can say that recruiting hasn't worked out like we wanted it to, but as I've said numerous times, it is because of things that changed during the fall than our targets not working out.

do you mind explaining this again? would be interested to hear. thanks

I think we've seen strong improvement by the OL under HCDM. If he thinks the kid can play I'll go with that.

I think we've seen strong improvement by the OL under HCDM. If he thinks the kid can play I'll go with that.
Strong improvement this season, yes -- but there were lots of doubters in previous seasons.

I have no problems with filling in this class with jucos and the obligatory late OL find to fill in for missing guys like Alex Officer. The staff is doing a lot of scrambling, with results that seem OK.
Next year, hope we do better in the summer round of HS recruiting, so we don't leave this much work to do in Dec-January. Some late work -- OK. This much?

Not to be too tangential, but "Diet Tab"? Really? Does anyone actually call someone that, and if so, why? I'm going to assume that it's an atrocious attempt at a nickname for Diabate. Not saying that you came up with it RMH, but it is one of the worst nicknames I've ever heard. The kid deserves better than that!

Not to be too tangential, but "Diet Tab"? Really? Does anyone actually call someone that, and if so, why? I'm going to assume that it's an atrocious attempt at a nickname for Diabate. Not saying that you came up with it RMH, but it is one of the worst nicknames I've ever heard. The kid deserves better than that!

Thought ALL Tab was diet.

I didn't come up with the nickname and I agree that it is really bad...but I was too lazy to look up the correct spelling. Sorry.

It was something OrangeEyes and Tomcat (I think) came up with while we were watching Spring Practice in 2011 because he had just enrolled and no one knew how to pronounce his name yet. And it stuck.

It was something OrangeEyes and Tomcat (I think) came up with while we were watching Spring Practice in 2011 because he had just enrolled and no one knew how to pronounce his name yet. And it stuck.
My brother and I prefer Database...Unfortunately it stuck

Its a better nickname than Saccharin or Pepsi Clear...

This is a guy you take a chance on. A lot of raw material to work with here. For a guy his size, his athleticism is pretty amazing. If you believe his stats, he would have dominated the recent NFL Combine for OL. He would have been 2nd in the 40 and 1st in the short shuttle.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/va/fork-union/fork-union-military-academy/jon-burton

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2012&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=OL[/quote]
You can teach a guy with his attributes and size to be a good tackle. And I'm pretty confident that we have they type of staff, that when it comes to offensive lineman, can teach guys who have the right size to be good lineman.

If we're going to "reach" on a kid, especially a lineman, I like the idea of "reaching" on a kid with those numbers. 6'7 305 is a long way from 6'3 330 tubs o' goo.

A kid who sough improvement by doing a post-grad year at a well regarded prep school; he had an extra year of strength and skill development, crucial for a lineman. He'll be coming in the full eligibility yet he's had an extra year to finishre growing and maturing. Then he's coming in for Spring practice and an extra semester and summer of S&C work, skill development, and learning the playbook. What's not to like? He's depth at a position of need.

I swear some of the people on this board could b!tch with a tit in their mouth.

Are we talking good tit or something like this:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster...-line-never-previously-recorded-police-report

"“he became overwhelmed by horrible...odor emitting from Melissa Williams.”

1816723_o.gif

The terrible thing is when I was a single guy I ran into a similar situation with a really pretty girl. Wow I successfully hijacked this thread.

@SUonRivals: Offense of lineman Jonathan Burton is orange. He is the 15th member of the orange recruiting class of 2013.

@CuseNationFOX: Jonathan Burton, and OL from Fork Union Military Academy has committed to #Syracuse

Sorry if I duped this. Couldn't find another thread for Burton.
Syracusefan.com Bio

The footage at the beginning of his video is impressive. One thing for sure...he can really run for a guy his size. Given his raw athletic ability, size and the fact he played at Fork Union, one of the top prep schools in the country, begs the question, why didn't he have better/more offers?

I don't know. Maybe he was injured? Bad grades that just improved? Something doesn't add up.

I will say this...DM knows offensive linemen. If he thinks Burton is worth an offer, that is good enough for me.

I know what you're saying here and I don't think he is a C lister, but if he is a "C lister" to the staff the reason he would get an offer in Dec vs Jan is because he is a Jan enrollee so they couldn't wait in this case. Like I said though I don't believe this is the case because I do love his potential and thought his film looked pretty good for someone with no real offers and such excellent physical/athletic numbers so I agree with what Tomcat said above in not understanding how he didn't have more interest/offers.

I know what you're saying here and I don't think he is a C lister, but if he is a "C lister" to the staff the reason he would get an offer in Dec vs Jan is because he is a Jan enrollee so they couldn't wait in this case. Like I said though I don't believe this is the case because I do love his potential and thought his film looked pretty good for someone with no real offers and such excellent physical/athletic numbers so I agree with what Tomcat said above in not understanding how he didn't have more interest/offers.
Because surprisingly, some schools don't actually look for their own talent. They use the recruiting websites, offer kids that were offered by other schools, and go off top 50 in the state lists. This may seem surprising but it's true.