Jonny Flynn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jonny Flynn

Flynn used to drive me crazy because he was extremely talented but if an opposing guard scored on him on a good play, he would go down on offense - ignore any team concepts, the score, and go one on one in showtime mode trying to show the other guard up. I wasn't really surprised that the next year we had so much more team success despite losing 3 very talented starters.
Yeah, Flynn had some incredible moments, but there were some aspects to how he approached the game mentally that created problems.

I remember we often got off to slow starts under Flynn, and when he was asked about it he said he didn't know why, there isn't really anything they can do, and it's just the way they play. That's not really what you want to hear from the guy that runs your offense.

Yeah, Flynn had some incredible moments, but there were some aspects to how he approached the game mentally that created problems.

I remember we often got off to slow starts under Flynn, and when he was asked about it he said he didn't know why, there isn't really anything they can do, and it's just the way they play. That's not really what you want to hear from the guy that runs your offense.
Sounds like our coach

We havent had someone with his type of mentality in awhile. Waiters and Flynn had that dog mentality where they wanted to crush you. We need some of that.
Lydon.

I have heard that on more than 1 occasion JB would hold up two fingers as the team was getting back on D to signal for the zone only for Flynn to ignore it and and start playing m2m and his teammates followed.

I heard the same thing from someone in a position to know. Rough years.

First year Lydon, yes. Second year Lydon, no.

Unless pump-faking defenders to death counts..
Agreed. I knew I would get deserved pushback, but some of those dunks and attempted dunks were savage.

Paul Harris rebelled against a lot of things while at SU. Lol. In hindsight he was better suited to play for Dixon at Pitt instead, which was his other major offer if I recall correctly. I don't remember Flynn being a problem child, at least on the court. He did have those accusations with Donte Greene as a freshman off the court.

I think it was Rick Jackson.

I have heard that on more than 1 occasion JB would hold up two fingers as the team was getting back on D to signal for the zone only for Flynn to ignore it and and start playing m2m and his teammates followed.

When did we play man? I can't remember it. I remember them ASKING him to let them do it, but I don't recall that actually happening.

First year Lydon, yes. Second year Lydon, no.

Unless pump-faking defenders to death counts..

He shot less his freshman year. It’s all about how you interpret things.

The switch to man in that Kansas game at the Sprint Center in KC helped and arguably was the key factor in the comeback. That team had the personnel to play man. Not a bunch of beanpoles without the lateral agility/stiffness/long strides

The switch to man in that Kansas game at the Sprint Center in KC helped and arguably was the key factor in the comeback. That team had the personnel to play man. Not a bunch of beanpoles without the lateral agility/stiffness/long strides

The defense stunk that year. We gave up over 100 to Providence and Nova in regulation.

I've heard that the staff found Flynn exhausting. For his immense talents and physical capabilities, that he was borderline un-coachable at times, and that some of that spilled over into games.

And not just him - that group of players had some real headcases [mixed in with some really good kids / hard workers].

I've heard that the staff found Flynn exhausting. For his immense talents and physical capabilities, that he was borderline un-coachable at times, and that some of that spilled over into games.

Speaking of uncoachable and this is OT for sure. But, I was watching some sort of SEC Network 30 for 30 style doc on Johnny Neumann yesterday. I didn’t really know about him. However, in the early 70s he was the most prolific scorer next to Maravich I guess during his time at Ole Miss. He was an uncoachable type but what a talent.

And not just him - that group of players had some real headcases [mixed in with some really good kids / hard workers].

Yeah that was a really talented group that underachieved overall if you ask me. No way they should have lost 10 games

Yeah that was a really talented group that underachieved overall if you ask me. No way they should have lost 10 games

Agree, though the Big East was strong that year. But I remember a long-ish Sports Illustrated story (McCallum, maybe?) that covered the team during its hell week (surrounding the UConn game, I believe), and none of SU's players came across very well. Harris especially. That group took nights off. The Providence game in particular was ridiculous; I know some players were mad at other guys over that effort.

EDIT: found it, going to re-read it now - The Big Brutal

Scoop Jardine had brass balls

As a young player, he sometimes had his "what are you doing?" moments, but he was never afraid to try to make something happen out there.

Agree, though the Big East was strong that year. But I remember a long-ish Sports Illustrated story (McCallum, maybe?) that covered the team during its hell week (surrounding the UConn game, I believe), and none of SU's players came across very well. Harris especially. That group took nights off. The Providence game in particular was ridiculous; I know some players were mad at other guys over that effort.

EDIT: found it, going to re-read it now - The Big Brutal

The Big East was strong, but we lost to 2 terrible teams in Providence and Georgetown that year in addition to the What loss on the 75 footer Cleveland State made in the OOC and barely beat Georgetown at home.

For reference we averaged 81 PPG, but we gave up 72 which was 276th in division 1.

The Big East was strong, but we lost to 2 terrible teams in Providence and Georgetown that year in addition to the What loss on the 75 footer Cleveland State made in the OOC and barely beat Georgetown at home.

For reference we averaged 81 PPG, but we gave up 72 which was 276th in division 1.

To be fair, Georgetown was a strong team (IMO) that just had a crap year. I happened to get to both games that season and the D.C. one was awful. Total sleep-walk by SU. And the Dome one on Valentine's was even more frustrating, I remember the long drive after that one and realizing that this team was going nowhere - all the talent to toy with opponents, but dumb enough to cough up a huge lead in the last 5 minutes and gift them OT.

At the time it was frustrating to be a fan, but in hindsight I'm more sympathetic to Boeheim...it's no wonder that some say he considered retiring the next summer. Having a skilled group of kids who he just couldn't reach must have been infuriating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom