Jordan Fredericks to transfer to UMass | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Fredericks to transfer to UMass

How is OIG the one creating mythology? Fredericks put up good stats for a freshman in 2015. He had nice moments and showed potential. But he didn't take over when Dungey was hurt and obviously was not indispensable when the new staff came around. Plus his production wasn't that impressive in this day and age. He was a nice player that apparently didn't fit into what Babers and Co were trying to do.
Yeah, look, after his freshman year I thought we were solid at running back for the next three seasons. Turns out we weren't and Fredericks wasn't the guy. I'm not sure how that reality becomes an indictment of my willingness to accept he maybe just wasn't as good as we thought, and not an indictment of the over expectations that we've created for him after he showed some good things.

If fredericks couldn't do something, in his first year in the system, how about the coaches coach him up? Paging make hart.
I think they were willing to and Fredericks wasn't in the shape they expected when they expected.

I think they were willing to and Fredericks wasn't in the shape they expected when they expected.

I think Frederick's problems were off the field, not on it. He got off to a bad start with the coaches and never got out of the doghouse. As far as his talent, i thought he was our most talented running back since Walter Reyes and his numbers bore that out. Babers likes a big, strong running back and he was bigger and stronger than Strickland or Neal. The runnin backs rarely got thrown to, so that was not a factor.. He'd be an asset to any offense.

The runnin backs rarely got thrown to, so that was not a factor.. He'd be an asset to any offense.
Strickland and Neal were constantly lined up in the slot. And if Frederick were an asset to any offense, he'd still be here.

Strickland and Neal were constantly lined up in the slot. And if Frederick were an asset to any offense, he'd still be here.

If you assume that was the problem.

JF is a talent. For reasons he's no longer here. If we can't find talent = to or > then, shame on the staff.

He will be productive somewhere else and we'll produce as well. Would feel better if he was still here, will move on because he's not.

He's not any less of a RB bc this staff chose not to give him the carries, for whatever reason.

JF is a talent. For reasons he's no longer here. If we can't find talent = to or > then, shame on the staff.

He will be productive somewhere else and we'll produce as well. Would feel better if he was still here, will move on because he's not.

He's not any less of a RB bc this staff chose not to give him the carries, for whatever reason.

You are a football coach so you would know far better than I but...given Saber's pass-happy offense and JF's reported inability to pick up blockers/not catch the ball effectively, isn't just a matter of not the right fit?

634 yards at 5.7 yards per carry with a 75 yard score is a lot better than "decent". You are the one creating the mythology.

That wasn't in this system. New system, new coach, different responsibilities. We really don't know or will ever know what we're missing out on with JF in Babers system. I'm honestly fine with it. Production is up at every skill position.

If fredericks couldn't do something, in his first year in the system, how about the coaches coach him up? Paging make hart.

There's a limit to coaching. Horse to water and all that.

That wasn't in this system. New system, new coach, different responsibilities. We really don't know or will ever know what we're missing out on with JF in Babers system. I'm honestly fine with it. Production is up at every skill position.

Not at running back.

(I hate the term "skill position". All the positions involve skills. Offensive line takes the longest to learn they say. That must involve some skill.)

You are a football coach so you would know far better than I but...given Saber's pass-happy offense and JF's reported inability to pick up blockers/not catch the ball effectively, isn't just a matter of not the right fit?
I've struggled with this one. I'm not so sure as these things weren't blown out of proportion to rationalize the situation.

He may have been a little worse in protection, probably even more so catching out of the backfield. But, if a guy can run, that's the biggest piece, pass blocking can be taught and repped to gain proficiency.

I just think there was probably a variety of reasons that culminated in the end result. Truth is, we'll probably never really know the truth.

I'm disappointed that we couldn't find a way to utilize his talents (system fit or not), but, as a coach I realize there's a 1,000 reasons things like this happen. I've seen enough of Dino to have faith in his decision.

Not at running back.

(I hate the term "skill position". All the positions involve skills. Offensive line takes the longest to learn they say. That must involve some skill.)

My point was if he couldn't play in the system or he hurt the system by playing - then I'd take the tradeoff, find a new RB that did fit and call it a day. In other words - I'd trade Babers overall offensive system for a decent sophomore RB. Or even shorter, in Dino I trust.

(I agree on the use of the word skill position; was being lazy and didn't want to type out WR, slot WR, and QB).

In other words - I'd trade Babers overall offensive system for a decent sophomore RB.
YES. And our fan base isn't used to that, because so many fans believe in fitting the scheme to the talent instead of the other way around.

YES. And our fan base isn't used to that, because so many fans believe in fitting the scheme to the talent instead of the other way around.
Seriously? But I'm sure you've always know otherwise.

He dropped 2 in the Wake Forest game in the second half alone.

Oh so a running back dropped 3 passes all season and two were in a hurricane? Got it.

If he couldn't catch why were they throwing to him? Seems like a dumb decision.

Fact is Jordan could run circles around Strickland and Neal.

The new kid looks slow. No burst no wiggle.

When he's on our squad, I care.

When he's not, I don't care.

Next.

I would love to introduce you to several dozen individuals on the bball side

Oh so a running back dropped 3 passes all season and two were in a hurricane? Got it.

If he couldn't catch why were they throwing to him? Seems like a dumb decision.

Fact is Jordan could run circles around Strickland and Neal.

The new kid looks slow. No burst no wiggle.

I don't know how many times people have to say it: we don't know why he didn't play. We're likely to never know.

But let's play along for a min... if the system calls for the RB to catch passes on the regular and he can't do it, you can a) not pass to him and limit your offense or b) pass to him and hope he catches it or c) don't play him.

So yeah, Jordan can run circles around them. But if any or all of these cited reasons are true* you can't accept the tradeoff.

* rumors include: not being able to communicate pass protection to the OL, being out of shape and unwilling to work, not as good of a blocker, not able to catch the ball

We'll see on Pierre. I like him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom