Class of 2017 - Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Pretty sure this means we whiffed on our 1st JUCO LB option who was an Arizona commit and highly rated player.

Before we engage in to much hyperbole regarding his skill set and JUCO stats lets remember he had no D-1 offers coming out of high school and I believe we are his only P5 offer on the table.

Shows the coaches want/need experienced depth desperately. He'll get his chance to be a contributor and I hope he ends up surprising and is a solid player over the next two years. Even moreso if he can play safety at this level. Only time will tell. Good luck to him.

His signing today means that he will be enrolling in January. Do we have any 2016 scholarships available? It would be nice not to limit our 2017 max.

I like the size. If he has speed this helps a lot. We need depth at LB. We have Zaire, Thomas, and Bennett.

We need more LBs. I like that we can have depth at LB/S.

I like the size. If he has speed this helps a lot. We need depth at LB. We have Zaire, Thomas, and Bennett.

We need more LBs. I like that we can have depth at LB/S.
This guy is a bridge between the seniors and the backups for sure. As I said elsewhere, our 4th most experienced linebacker next year is Armstrong.

Pretty sure this means we whiffed on our 1st JUCO LB option who was an Arizona commit and highly rated player.

Before we engage in to much hyperbole regarding his skill set and JUCO stats lets remember he had no D-1 offers coming out of high school and I believe we are his only P5 offer on the table.

Shows the coaches want/need experienced depth desperately. He'll get his chance to be a contributor and I hope he ends up surprising and is a solid player over the next two years. Even moreso if he can play safety at this level. Only time will tell. Good luck to him.

AUTO-POST 2000:
[Remember, this is recruiting and we shouldn't get to excited by [insert player name]. They were not recruited by [best schools] and therefore we must tamp down expectations. He was only a [insert star ranking] when we need 4 and 5* to compete with Clemson and FSU. I wish he were [choose all that apply: faster/stronger/bigger/smarter]. Good luck, [insert player name]!]

<Mission accomplished: all joy has been tempered.>

His signing today means that he will be enrolling in January. Do we have any 2016 scholarships available? It would be nice not to limit our 2017 max.

By my magic spreadsheet, we can backdate 3 kids to 2016.

Fagan is the only other Jan enrollee that I'm aware of so far.

By my magic spreadsheet, we can backdate 3 kids to 2016.

Fagan is the only other Jan enrollee that I'm aware of so far.

I think it's 3. I believe Patrick Davis is going to be an early enrollee too.

This guy is a bridge between the seniors and the backups for sure. As I said elsewhere, our 4th most experienced linebacker next year is Armstrong.
Bridge is the perfect description for Guthrie, imo.

Keep in mind that Cullen, Henderson and Armstrong all saw PT last year as freshman. Tim Walton who red shirted and three verbals give us decent numbers but I wish there was a bit more stagger in their eligibility.

Bridge is the perfect description for Guthrie, imo.

Keep in mind that Cullen, Henderson and Armstrong all saw PT last year as freshman. Tim Walton who red shirted and three verbals give us decent numbers but I wish there was a bit more stagger in their eligibility.
And we'll have to bring in at least 3 next year.

I like this pickup. He has good size and speed and has been playing high level football his whole life. West Forsyth is large schools in Georgia. 2500 enrollment. Playing schools like lambert and Milton and powder springs, north & south Forsyth etc. these are massive class 7A football schools.

Plus he plays with a chip on his shoulder and clearly loves contact.

22 kids enrolled in august?

We took 24 recruits in the Class of 2015.

We took 21 recruits in the Class of 2016, plus we gave Mahoney a scholarship to get to 22.

We can backdate 3 to 2016, and if push comes to shove we can even backdate a 4th kid if we move Rex to 2015.

Right now we only have room for 26 under the 85 cap.. Dino said we'd be taking 25-27.

No need to get too complicated with the accounting. ;)

We took 24 recruits in the Class of 2015.

We took 21 recruits in the Class of 2016, plus we gave Mahoney a scholarship to get to 22.

We can backdate 3 to 2016, and if push comes to shove we can even backdate a 4th kid if we move Rex to 2015.

They'll move Rex then. Not sure that Mahoney would affect the numbers.

They'll move Rex then. Not sure that Mahoney would affect the numbers.

There's no need to move Rex anywhere yet.

We can backdate 3 kids right now. We only have 2 kids that are enrolling early.

We're only taking a max of 27. Rex only gets moved if we take 29.

AUTO-POST 2000:
[Remember, this is recruiting and we shouldn't get to excited by [insert player name]. They were not recruited by [best schools] and therefore we must tamp down expectations. He was only a [insert star ranking] when we need 4 and 5* to compete with Clemson and FSU. I wish he were [choose all that apply: faster/stronger/bigger/smarter]. Good luck, [insert player name]!]

<Mission accomplished: all joy has been tempered.>

Really? Or is it that this same player and his signing would have been skewered by a majority of posters on this same board 2 years ago. What's the only difference between then and now?

This guy played in the football hotbed of Georgia and only had D-III offers coming out of high school. After going JUCO for 2 years he has no P5 offers besides SU. The reality is if he wasn't a mid-year enrollee he wouldn't be on scholarship right now and wouldn't be playing on the team in the fall.

And yes, I do want it to work out for him because if it does then its good for the program. Why can't we say he's a depth signing with some maturity and we hope he can contribute in the rotation moving forward. Any more than that doesn't make sense unless you actually believe he passed through every other P5 programs radar and landed in our laps due to our great coaching staff and their magical ability to evaluate players differently than everyone else in high D-1 football. Do you believe that?

Really? Or is it that this same player and his signing would have been skewered by a majority of posters on this same board 2 years ago. What's the only difference between then and now?

This guy played in the football hotbed of Georgia and only had D-III offers coming out of high school. After going JUCO for 2 years he has no P5 offers besides SU. The reality is if he wasn't a mid-year enrollee he wouldn't be on scholarship right now and wouldn't be playing on the team in the fall.

And yes, I do want it to work out for him because if it does then its good for the program. Why can't we say he's a depth signing with some maturity and we hope he can contribute in the rotation moving forward. Any more than that doesn't make sense unless you actually believe he passed through every other P5 programs radar and landed in our laps due to our great coaching staff and their magical ability to evaluate players differently than everyone else in high D-1 football. Do you believe that?
Because Babers said he would only take JUCOS who could contribute and play from day one?

Meaningless. Kids improve. In baseball, Steven Strasburg was a non prospect. 3 years later, he was a phenom. I'm not saying this kid is good or bad, just that things change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom