Class of 2017 - Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Juco LB Ryan Guthrie COMMITTED & SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Also maybe the coaching staff saw something that leads them to believe he would be outstanding in our T2 defense. How many other P5 run that system? Maybe that is why he got an offer from us because his skill system fits our unique (to P5) defensive system.

A scholarship is a scholarship. He counts towards the 85 limit.

Well I know that. We're talking about back dating ships, as a walkon, who later earned a scholar ship I don't believe he affects the 25 can sign/enroll per year rule.

This guy played in the football hotbed of Georgia and only had D-III offers coming out of high school. After going JUCO for 2 years he has no P5 offers besides SU. The reality is if he wasn't a mid-year enrollee he wouldn't be on scholarship right now and wouldn't be playing on the team in the fall.

And yes, I do want it to work out for him because if it does then its good for the program. Why can't we say he's a depth signing with some maturity and we hope he can contribute in the rotation moving forward. Any more than that doesn't make sense unless you actually believe he passed through every other P5 programs radar and landed in our laps due to our great coaching staff and their magical ability to evaluate players differently than everyone else in high D-1 football. Do you believe that?
There was a guy I graduated from high school with that I didn't even know was on the football team. Three years after we graduated, after two seasons at Erie CC, walking on at WVU, and a red-shirt year, he was starting at Right Tackle in the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma. The bell curve of development is all over the place, not a straight line.

Second, that's such a defeatist attitude. He can't be good because no one else offered him. There are lots of guys who are very good players who got overlooked by many players.

You just don't know. And if he's a depth player, so be it. But he showed something, and that might be enough.

There was a guy I graduated from high school with that I didn't even know was on the football team. Three years after we graduated, after two seasons at Erie CC, walking on at WVU, and a red-shirt year, he was starting at Right Tackle in the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma. The bell curve of development is all over the place, not a straight line.

Second, that's such a defeatist attitude. He can't be good because no one else offered him. There are lots of guys who are very good players who got overlooked by many players.

You just don't know. And if he's a depth player, so be it. But he showed something, and that might be enough.

This has nothing to do with this particular player and everything to do with perceived unfairness towards Shafer.

Really? Or is it that this same player and his signing would have been skewered by a majority of posters on this same board 2 years ago. What's the only difference between then and now?

This guy played in the football hotbed of Georgia and only had D-III offers coming out of high school. After going JUCO for 2 years he has no P5 offers besides SU. The reality is if he wasn't a mid-year enrollee he wouldn't be on scholarship right now and wouldn't be playing on the team in the fall.

And yes, I do want it to work out for him because if it does then its good for the program. Why can't we say he's a depth signing with some maturity and we hope he can contribute in the rotation moving forward. Any more than that doesn't make sense unless you actually believe he passed through every other P5 programs radar and landed in our laps due to our great coaching staff and their magical ability to evaluate players differently than everyone else in high D-1 football. Do you believe that?

AUTO-POST 2000:

[Sorry [insert poster name here]. Did not mean to offend. We get excited and then someone comes in and says "Don't be too excited for [insert name for every commit, ever] because of [insert reason here]." ]

---

Honestly, I think its fine. I just like to think the best of the kid until he gets here and pans out or not. I know I'm unique in this brand of optimism and I'm cool with it.

To your above points: How on earth do you know how the staff feels about the kid and whether he would be on the team based solely on being a mid-year enrollee? Do you and Babers have breakfast together? What does it matter what I think about him getting passed up? The staff likes him and thinks he deserves a scholarship. Until proven otherwise, I choose to believe he'll be a diamond in the ruff kind of recruit. More fun that way.

But carry on.

Meaningless. Kids improve. In baseball, Steven Strasburg was a non prospect. 3 years later, he was a phenom. I'm not saying this kid is good or bad, just that things change.
Exactly! And for the star gazers...RG is a 3* recruit on Ryvals.

Exactly! And for the star gazers...RG is a 3* recruit on Ryvals.

Well to be fair, 5 seconds before his commitment was announced, he was NR at Rivals. He commits to a P5 school and instantly becomes 3 star. They do that with all their Preps and JUCO's. Doesn't mean much of anything.

Well to be fair, 5 seconds before his commitment was announced, he was NR at Rivals. He commits to a P5 school and instantly becomes 3 star. They do that with all their Preps and JUCO's. Doesn't mean much of anything.
If your statement is fact then I have even less respect for the star system.

Would a Prep or JUCO player that was previously rated 2* be auto-bumped to 3* once committing to a P5?

Meaningless. Kids improve. In baseball, Steven Strasburg was a non prospect. 3 years later, he was a phenom. I'm not saying this kid is good or bad, just that things change.

Ryan Nassib's bro couldn't get a scholarship out of HS, period. Walked on at Ped State.
He got a little bit better over time. ;)

If your statement is fact then I have even less respect for the star system.

Would a Prep or JUCO player that was previously rated 2* be auto-bumped to 3* once committing to a P5?

It is. I looked him up prior to his commit, profile didn't list a Syracuse offer and he was NR. Now he's a 3 star 5.5 based on a BCS school offering him. Rivals has done that for a long time with Prep and JC recruits.

I honestly think recruiting services should give an automatic 3 star when a prospect gets his second P5 offer. You can still weigh differently (high, mid, low levels) but it would at least stop people from arguing if a kid should be a 3 star. Its hard to evaluated each prospect in the county and because of that, the type of offer should be acknowledged

Have not looked at him (i.e. his highlights, game tape, etc), but leading all JUCO's in solo tackles says something. If the typical leverage model proves correct, elite at one level usually translates to competence at the next.

The kid is really quick to the ball. I wonder what the coaches thought of him. He would have to put at least 20 pounds to him for LB, unless move to safety if he is fast enough.

Not sure if he has safety skills, but hopefully he does as we need size there. btw, most of our LBs the past 3 years have been <210 lbs.

Bridge is the perfect description for Guthrie, imo.

Keep in mind that Cullen, Henderson and Armstrong all saw PT last year as freshman. Tim Walton who red shirted and three verbals give us decent numbers but I wish there was a bit more stagger in their eligibility.

Good point, but seems as though we DO have some depth at LB. Thus, this signing is surprising for me. unless the staff suspects a non qualifier in the 2017 class? Or hopefully , they see him as a safety. Great size and speed . We NEED bigger safeties badly.

Good point, but seems as though we DO have some depth at LB. Thus, this signing is surprising for me. unless the staff suspects a non qualifier in the 2017 class? Or hopefully , they see him as a safety. Great size and speed . We NEED bigger safeties badly.

1 backup at each spot is not depth.

I count 8 solid LBs on the returning roster , plus a few talented kids coming in.

8 ? I count 4.5 ... hoping the best for Cullen and Walton. At least Walton is 6-2 224, Shy might be a career special teamer or nickle.

Keep in mind the starters are all seniors next year and recruiting isn't about the upcoming season. They'll need to be replaced soon.

Franklin
Bennett
Thompson
Armstrong
>
>
Henderson (5-11)
>
>
>
Cullen (6-0 200)
Walton

Last edited:

Kurt Warner scoffs at talent scouts.

8 ? I count 4.5 ... hoping the best for Cullen and Walton. At least Walton is 6-2 224, Shy might be a career special teamer or nickle.

Keep in mind the starters are all seniors next year and recruiting isn't about the upcoming season. They'll need to be replaced soon.

Franklin
Bennett
Thompson
Armstrong
>
>
Henderson (5-11)
>
>
>
Cullen (5-11 200)
Walton

That's 7 strong entering 2017 and 3 supposed incoming frosh. not sure why shy is viewed as a "nickel "? he is one of our more athletic backers. Love waltons size. I see your point , but hope Guthrie has safety skills at his size.

Franklin
Bennett
Thompson
Armstrong
>
>
Henderson (5-11)
>
>
>
Cullen (6-0 200)
Walton
Phat, height isn't as important at LB as weight/strength are. Boulware is only 5'10" and our own Z Franklin is listed at 6'0" but both are 230/plus. I have hope that Henderson will develop into a solid 2-deep contributor.

Btw, I think you meant "Thomas" above.

Looks like Ryan played for West Forsyth HS in Cumming, GA. That is a few miles from my house. Their football team is decent, not among the elite of the state by any means though. They put out a few D1 guys here and there.

Franklin
Bennett
Thompson
Armstrong
>
>
Henderson (5-11)
>
>
>
Cullen (6-0 200)
Walton
Shy is 6'0 215 all season this year.

Phat, height isn't as important at LB as weight/strength are. Boulware is only 5'10" and our own Z Franklin is listed at 6'0" but both are 230/plus. I have hope that Henderson will develop into a solid 2-deep contributor.

Btw, I think you meant "Thomas" above.

Height has to do with frame and mass. I watched our D get trucked this year because we're so small. Our LBs are tiny, they're like safeties. None are boulware. Tackling is an issue because of it, so is taking on blockers. We need to get bigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom