Class of 2015 - JUCO OT Calvin Steyn (CA) Visiting | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 JUCO OT Calvin Steyn (CA) Visiting

I knew I'd see this after my post! :) nice work as always CL!

Will be interesting to see if this is a guy who might challenge for a starting role [a la Chad Mavety], or just a "warm body" for depth.

Will be interesting to see if this is a guy who might challenge for a starting role [a la Chad Mavety], or just a "warm body" for depth.

I haven't found much else on him.. no offers that I see.

Seeing us involved with JUCOs late makes me sad.

Why? This is exactly what we should be doing after the carnage we had to endure with the OL this year. If there's a guy out there that is physically ready to come in and play and is an upgrade on our 2 deep for next season over what we currently have, then we should be all over him.

Why? This is exactly what we should be doing after the carnage we had to endure with the OL this year. If there's a guy out there that is physically ready to come in and play and is an upgrade on our 2 deep for next season over what we currently have, then we should be all over him.

The highlighted part above is the million dollar question.

Nobody is against recruiting an upgrade / someone who will legitimately challenge the two deep. I can only speak for myself, but I hope that getting involved with a JUCO fairly late in the process that nobody has heard of before, with virtually zero information out there, and with no other offers anyone's been able to track down as yet means that this guy is a diamond in the rough, and not a stop gap warm body who won't ever play.

Last edited:
Rf posted part of it. The other part is that it's rare we get a JUCO that contributes much. I'd rather roll the dice on a high school kid that we have lots of time to develop.

Plus, if JUCOs are our best option... well, that indicates some other earlier failure.

his film to my eye looks like a warm body.

I haven't seen anything indicating an offer.
correct, no offer as of yet. I know he is 6'5" 310, so I don't expect a speed demon, but he looks a bit slow even for that size.

The highlighted part above is the million dollar question.

Nobody is against recruiting an upgrade / someone who will legitimately challenge the two deep. I can only speak for myself, but I hope that getting involved with a JUCO fairly late in the process that nobody has heard of before, with virtually zero information out there, and with no other offers anyone's been able to track down as yet means that this guy is a diamond in the rough, and not a stop gap warm body who won't ever play.

I guess I should qualify my comment that I'm happy that we're actively looking at JUCO's, not necessarily this particular player. This is really the first concrete evidence that we are even considering a JUCO option for the T position next year. And IMO we desperately need a physically ready, 2 deep contributor for next year and that's not coming from a HS senior.

If there is an offer, that means that the OL recruiting over the last couple of years has been a failure.

I guess I should qualify my comment that I'm happy that we're actively looking at JUCO's, not necessarily this particular player. This is really the first concrete evidence that we are even considering a JUCO option for the T position next year. And IMO we desperately need a physically ready, 2 deep contributor for next year and that's not coming from a HS senior.

Denzel Ward has to be the odds on favorite. He was one of the top rated OL we've recruited in a long time.

If not him, well--Michael Lasker got some starting PT time at LT two seasons ago, and did fairly well. He played much better during his sophomore season than he did during his junior season [current], so I have no idea what to expect from him. I don't consider McGloster a serious contender at LT--would love to be proven wrong.

Denzel Ward has to be the odds on favorite. He was one of the top rated OL we've recruited in a long time.

If not him, well--Michael Lasker got some starting PT time at LT two seasons ago, and did fairly well. He played much better during his sophomore season than he did during his junior season [current], so I have no idea what to expect from him. I don't consider McGloster a serious contender at LT--would love to be proven wrong.

Ward is the odds on favorite to start. You look past him and Foy, you've got Lasker and a converted Kendall Moore, and then McGloster and Burton. Doesn't exactly leave me with a warm and fuzzy if Foy goes down. Lasker has been a big disappointment to me; he held his own 2 years ago but this year was really exposed. And maybe he did as well as he did 2 years ago because we had a much healthier and better line that year.

Ward is the odds on favorite to start. You look past him and Foy, you've got Lasker and a converted Kendall Moore, and then McGloster and Burton. Doesn't exactly leave me with a warm and fuzzy if Foy goes down. Lasker has been a big disappointment to me; he held his own 2 years ago but this year was really exposed. And maybe he did as well as he did 2 years ago because we had a much healthier and better line that year.

I suppose we can include Palmer as a candidate for RT, too, given how well he's played out of position there this year.

My hope is that Trudo / Robinson / Palmer start in the interior. Ward nails things down at LT, and Foy returns healthy for his senior year at RT. That would be a solid line.

If Emerich beats out the others to play center, then I could see Palmer replacing Foy at RT in the effort to get the best 5 on the field.

After this year's run of injures, competition / depth would be a welcome change.

Hayes played some, so I'd expect him to take a step forward. I'm hoping they caught lightning in a bottle with Burton, as a reserve RT. And we've got a ton of frosh coming in that will hopefully redshirt.

Help is on the way.

I suppose we can include Palmer as a candidate for RT, too, given how well he's played out of position there this year.

My hope is that Trudo / Robinson / Palmer start in the interior. Ward nails things down at LT, and Foy returns healthy for his senior year at RT. That would be a solid line.

If Emerich beats out the others to play center, then I could see Palmer replacing Foy at RT in the effort to get the best 5 on the field.

After this year's run of injures, competition / depth would be a welcome change.

Hayes played some, so I'd expect him to take a step forward. I'm hoping they caught lightning in a bottle with Burton, as a reserve RT. And we've got a ton of frosh coming in that will hopefully redshirt.

Help is on the way.
Palmer is a good player. Would really love to see him play his natural guard position. Having guys play out of position may help, but you never get to see them at their best. He could be a beast at guard. Trudo, played some center, but I think he had trouble with shotgun snaps. If he could play center, the trio of Trudo, Palmer, and Robinson would make a strong interior!!

OttoinGrotto said:
Seeing us involved with JUCOs late makes me sad.

Amen!!!

It's one thing if we are going after a JC stud, who is a no brainer to come in and start for 2 years, but targeting guys like this worries me. We took a significant hit 2 years ago with our late JC haul. I really hope Shafer doesn't go this route, or it could point to some desperation on his part to help secure his job in the short term.

Id much rather see us targeting HS kids, who pi have 5 years to develop. We aren't going anywhere good with "under the radar" JC kids.

Amen!!!

It's one thing if we are going after a JC stud, who is a no brainer to come in and start for 2 years, but targeting guys like this worries me. We took a significant hit 2 years ago with our late JC haul. I really hope Shafer doesn't go this route, or it could point to some desperation on his part to help secure his job in the short term.

Id much rather see us targeting HS kids, who pi have 5 years to develop. We aren't going anywhere good with "under the radar" JC kids.

The JC recruiting in 2013 had little if any impact on our OL recruiting. Marrone and his staff landed John Miller, who's been a pretty competent C on the 2 deep the past 2 years, and then Shafer's staff tacked on Lasker months after signing day who was a 3 to play 3 guy that we all loved at the time. The other JUCO players weren't linemen. If anything, Marrone and his staff's inability to recruit any HS lineman in 2013 outside of adding John Burton as a major project in December, and Kyle Knapp's career coming to an end have had the largest impact on our OT depth chart this and next year.

And as a side note, for all we know, this particular JC recruit may be visiting as a walk-on opportunity. We just took a Washington transfer last year as a walk-on.

Last edited:
tep624 said:
The JC recruiting in 2013 had little if any impact on our OL recruiting. Marrone and his staff landed John Miller, who's been a pretty competent C on the 2 deep the past 2 years, and then Shafer's staff tacked on Lasker months after signing day who was a 3 to play 3 guy that we all loved at the time. The other JUCO players weren't linemen. If anything, Marrone and his staff's inability to recruit any HS lineman in 2013 outside of adding John Burton as a major project in December, and Kyle Knapp's career coming to an end have had the largest impact on our OT depth chart this and next year. And as a side note, for all we know, this particular JC recruit may be visiting as a walk-on opportunity. We just took a Washington transfer last year as a walk-on.

Marrone's 2013 recruiting class was far from over when he left. He had just missed on Curtis who was a highly regarded recruit, but I believe there were a few others on deck. Not that any of it matters, I'm just against JC recruiting.

Marrone's 2013 recruiting class was far from over when he left. He had just missed on Curtis who was a highly regarded recruit, but I believe there were a few others on deck. Not that any of it matters, I'm just against JC recruiting.

I know we have a fundamental difference in opinion as far as JUCO's go and that's fine. I can respect that. I too would prefer a HS player over a JUCO in a vacuum. I'm just very, very worried about our OT 2 deep next year and I don't want to see a repeat of this year. 1 guy (Foy) went down for a significant amount of time and chaos ensued after that.

I know we have a fundamental difference in opinion as far as JUCO's go and that's fine. I can respect that. I too would prefer a HS player over a JUCO in a vacuum. I'm just very, very worried about our OT 2 deep next year and I don't want to see a repeat of this year. 1 guy (Foy) went down for a significant amount of time and chaos ensued after that.

I guess my point is we aren't at the level where we are able to pull a plug and play JC OT. That's what we tried doing with Lasker, and looks like it back fired. I guess I just feel if we decide to go the JC route as a stop gap all we would be doing is putting things in neutral. We aren't competing for an ACC title anytime soon so i'd just take the blow now, and give ourselves a chance for the future. Now if we can go out and get a plug and play JC guy, like a Chad Mavety, then go for it, but otherwise I just think we are setting ourselves up to repeat a vicious cycle.

I guess my point is we aren't at the level where we are able to pull a plug and play JC OT. That's what we tried doing with Lasker, and looks like it back fired. I guess I just feel if we decide to go the JC route as a stop gap all we would be doing is putting things in neutral. We aren't competing for an ACC title anytime soon so i'd just take the blow now, and give ourselves a chance for the future. Now if we can go out and get a plug and play JC guy, like a Chad Mavety, then go for it, but otherwise I just think we are setting ourselves up to repeat a vicious cycle.

I hear ya. Curtis was a huge miss in 2013 and Knapp's career ending early are coming back to haunt us now.