Class of 2014 - JUCO TE/WR Trey Dunkelberger (PA) Signed LOI | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 JUCO TE/WR Trey Dunkelberger (PA) Signed LOI

I have always said, there is no other like him :)
Watch him on the sidelines next year - he's very animated/enthusiastic with his team :)

Well he has definitely started something. LOL.

B4xxM5pCMAEeKVo.jpg:large

We have heard they will be televising this. Hope so! Since we can't be there with him!! Time to close the book on recruiting!! We are excited for his future at Syracuse!

@Stephen_Bailey1
Syracuse TE commit Trey Dunkelberger got calls from Florida State, USC and Texas this week. Still fully committed to SU. Will sign LOI Wed.

I talked to a staff member today who said the coaches are very excited for Trey. His versatility and high football IQ are two of the traits they mentioned.

With the current changes in our offensive philosophy, sounds like he will be leaned on heavily early on. Getting here next month will hopefully go a long way towards that.

Congrats, Kelly029x. You guys must be proud; most importantly, he sure seems like a great kid. Good luck to you guys!

We have heard they will be televising this. Hope so! Since we can't be there with him!! Time to close the book on recruiting!! We are excited for his future at Syracuse!

What channel?

I talked to a staff member today who said the coaches are very excited for Trey. His versatility and high football IQ are two of the traits they mentioned.

With the current changes in our offensive philosophy, sounds like he will be leaned on heavily early on. Getting here next month will hopefully go a long way towards that.

Congrats, Kelly029x. You guys must be proud; most importantly, he sure seems like a great kid. Good luck to you guys!

That's cool Rocco! Trey was told exactly that by Acosta and Lester. Being there for spring is what Trey was striving for no matter where he went. It gives him the advantage. Seeing how Trey has struggled, being rated under 3-4 stars, to get recruited has given us a love for the underdogs! They have a burning drive/passion and I believe work harder to prove that they are something special.

Prospect Info:
#7 TE Trey Dunkelberger - Los Angeles Pierce CC
6'5, 245lbs
4.56 40 yard dash
34" Vertical
335 Bench Press
495 Squat
11.2 100m dash
Offers from - Syracuse, Cincinati, Akron
Interests: Many came a calling, Trey told them to dunk off
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3917386/highlights/175482387

Tale of the Tape:

TD stands for touchdown. There are many SU fans who hope Trey Dunkelberger will live up to his initials. So what can we gather from a 4 minute highlight tape that consists of a couple of catches, and mostly blocking? Well, there are a couple of things. The first thing to take away is how fundamentally sound his stance is. His arse is down, his back is straight. It allows him to keep low out of his stance so there is no wasted time up to the point of contact.

There's a reason many coaches are looking for Tight Ends with TD's measurables. It's called the Jimmy Graham effect. "Can we take someone who is strong, quick, powerful, and turn them into someone who is a matchup nightmare?" If you can, you have an advantage immediately. Traditional tight-ends and some that cross over into the HBack territory are mostly covered by LBs (when the defense is playing man). If you have a tall tight end who is fast, it's a matchup nightmare. LBs are (or should) always be taking a read step forward before dropping into pass coverage. This gives the tight end an advantage when running routes, because the defense is looking to read the play. If TD's 4.5 40 is accurate, linebackers can get caught off easily when covering somebody that fast.

Additionally, TD is the type of player that is going to frustrate the hell out of defensive players. He's physical, and you can't teach that. He does a great job at playing to the whistle. If he's blocking you, he's going to be engaged until the whistle blows. He's got very good run blocking technique. He drives his feet. His hands are in great position. He does a solid job of getting close to the defender and finishing off blocks. I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of players try and give some extra shoves to TD after the whistle because of how aggressive he plays.

Let's take a look at some highlights from TD's tape.

1:20 mark - You see a great seal block on the edge. Trey comes in for a run block, engages, and naturally moves his hips into position to get his body in between the sideline and the defensive end he is blocking. These are blocks that offensive linemen need to excel in. Trey shows some good instinctive blocking.

It should be noted, Trey's always bouncing to the next level to get another person on a secondary or tertiary block. He seems to love contact.

2:15 mark - This looks like a simple Off-Tackle play. Pay attention to what Trey's responsibility is on this play. He's charged with running a linebacker off, so if there's a cutback, the RB is able to find open space. Some players fall into a habit of doing this half-assed, because the possibility of a cut back there is not very likely. Trey takes off on a go route like a bat out of hell. We get to see some really good explosiveness here, and see that he does not take plays off. Pay attention on Sundays. A lot of NFL players mail home routes they are supposed to run to decoy the secondary. Football coaches get excited about little things like this.

2:46 mark - Play call is a screen pass, with Trey being a secondary route for the QB to look at if the screen is not there. Trey runs a great route which causes the LB to get caught cement footed. If the QB looks at him, he's got big yardage. He shows great quickness on the zip route, stopping and accelerating with good quickness. The same goes at the 3:24 mark. Trey is wide open down the field on his go route, and the QB misses him.

Final Analysis

Strengths - Tenacious, physical, strong and fast. He is a matchup nightmare for opposing linebackers. With Lester wanting to utilize the TE more, Trey has an opportunity to make a big impact. In his routes that were run on tape, he finds soft spots in zones, and gets vertical if he sees that he is allowed too. The potential here is very high.

Areas of Improvements - (I'm an educator, I don't use the term weakness) - We don't really get to see Trey's receiving skills in this video. He catches one ball on a bubble screen, and another short route that he snags easily. In both of the catches on the video, Trey catches the ball with his chest, and not clean with his hands. Ideally, I'd like to see him catch the ball cleanly, but theres no way to effectively analyze hand strength or catching ability off of two catches.

Trey's size and speed makes it very easy to see why he was getting calls from Florida State, Texas, and USC last week. When you rate a prospect, you rate him on the potential he has to be an impact player. Trey has all the physical tools you want, and has the motor you need to go with it. There are many instances seen where the two don't go together. When you have those two factors align; special things have the potential to happen.

When I watch Trey's tape, I see some Jason Witten in his game. When the JUCO ratings get updated, I would be very surprised to see Trey stay at the 2 star status. He will be on the field next season, and Orange fans will enjoy him being there.

Prospect Info:
#7 TE Trey Dunkelberger - Los Angeles Pierce CC
6'5, 245lbs
4.56 40 yard dash
34" Vertical
335 Bench Press
495 Squat
11.2 100m dash
Offers from - Syracuse, Cincinati, Akron
Interests: Many came a calling, Trey told them to dunk off
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3917386/highlights/175482387

Tale of the Tape:

TD stands for touchdown. There are many SU fans who hope Trey Dunkelberger will live up to his initials. So what can we gather from a 4 minute highlight tape that consists of a couple of catches, and mostly blocking? Well, there are a couple of things. The first thing to take away is how fundamentally sound his stance is. His arse is down, his back is straight. It allows him to keep low out of his stance so there is no wasted time up to the point of contact.

There's a reason many coaches are looking for Tight Ends with TD's measurables. It's called the Jimmy Graham effect. "Can we take someone who is strong, quick, powerful, and turn them into someone who is a matchup nightmare?" If you can, you have an advantage immediately. Traditional tight-ends and some that cross over into the HBack territory are mostly covered by LBs (when the defense is playing man). If you have a tall tight end who is fast, it's a matchup nightmare. LBs are (or should) always be taking a read step forward before dropping into pass coverage. This gives the tight end an advantage when running routes, because the defense is looking to read the play. If TD's 4.5 40 is accurate, linebackers can get caught off easily when covering somebody that fast.

Additionally, TD is the type of player that is going to frustrate the hell out of defensive players. He's physical, and you can't teach that. He does a great job at playing to the whistle. If he's blocking you, he's going to be engaged until the whistle blows. He's got very good run blocking technique. He drives his feet. His hands are in great position. He does a solid job of getting close to the defender and finishing off blocks. I'm guessing we are going to see a lot of players try and give some extra shoves to TD after the whistle because of how aggressive he plays.

Let's take a look at some highlights from TD's tape.

1:20 mark - You see a great seal block on the edge. Trey comes in for a run block, engages, and naturally moves his hips into position to get his body in between the sideline and the defensive end he is blocking. These are blocks that offensive linemen need to excel in. Trey shows some good instinctive blocking.

It should be noted, Trey's always bouncing to the next level to get another person on a secondary or tertiary block. He seems to love contact.

2:15 mark - This looks like a simple Off-Tackle play. Pay attention to what Trey's responsibility is on this play. He's charged with running a linebacker off, so if there's a cutback, the RB is able to find open space. Some players fall into a habit of doing this half-assed, because the possibility of a cut back there is not very likely. Trey takes off on a go route like a bat out of hell. We get to see some really good explosiveness here, and see that he does not take plays off. Pay attention on Sundays. A lot of NFL players mail home routes they are supposed to run to decoy the secondary. Football coaches get excited about little things like this.

2:46 mark - Play call is a screen pass, with Trey being a secondary route for the QB to look at if the screen is not there. Trey runs a great route which causes the LB to get caught cement footed. If the QB looks at him, he's got big yardage. He shows great quickness on the zip route, stopping and accelerating with good quickness. The same goes at the 3:24 mark. Trey is wide open down the field on his go route, and the QB misses him.

Final Analysis

Strengths - Tenacious, physical, strong and fast. He is a matchup nightmare for opposing linebackers. With Lester wanting to utilize the TE more, Trey has an opportunity to make a big impact. In his routes that were run on tape, he finds soft spots in zones, and gets vertical if he sees that he is allowed too. The potential here is very high.

Areas of Improvements - (I'm an educator, I don't use the term weakness) - We don't really get to see Trey's receiving skills in this video. He catches one ball on a bubble screen, and another short route that he snags easily. In both of the catches on the video, Trey catches the ball with his chest, and not clean with his hands. Ideally, I'd like to see him catch the ball cleanly, but theres no way to effectively analyze hand strength or catching ability off of two catches.

Trey's size and speed makes it very easy to see why he was getting calls from Florida State, Texas, and USC last week. When you rate a prospect, you rate him on the potential he has to be an impact player. Trey has all the physical tools you want, and has the motor you need to go with it. There are many instances seen where the two don't go together. When you have those two factors align; special things have the potential to happen.

When I watch Trey's tape, I see some Jason Witten in his game. When the JUCO ratings get updated, I would be very surprised to see Trey stay at the 2 star status. He will be on the field next season, and Orange fans will enjoy him being there.

Jason Witten... sign me up!

WOW Jack!! This is awesome! I was reading it to my dad (who has been on every recruit visit with Trey and us) and he teared up ~ we are so proud!! He wasn't used much at Pierce once he started getting offers (to put other kids in for exposure), so there were very, very few passes to him. Also, coupled with the fact that Pierce had 3 struggling QB's. Here's his high school tape that my brother made that shows a few catches (love 4:15) . He has come SUCH as long way ~ wasn't the "superstar" in high school getting tons of attention. He believed in himself when no one else did and fought for what he wanted and MADE people look! I could TALK forever about him, he is such an awesome kid/son! Thank you, Thank you for taking the time to do this!

Trey Dunkelberger
44 mins · Instagram ·
Huge blessing. This is truly a dream come true. A full athletic scholarship for the sport I dedicated my life to starting spring of my junior year. I went division 2 out of highschool didn't feel right came all the way to California where I spent a year away from my family friends. Coming out here I knew one person in the state, that being said I made the most out of every opportunity and met some really great people. The struggle is something that made me; it transformed me from a child to a man. Going days without eating nights missing the out of home and a full year with no breaks from the classroom to complete 48 Credits. Everyone out her has impacted my life greatly and I'm so great full for all of you‼ ‪#‎cusenation‬

WOW Jack!! This is awesome! I was reading it to my dad (who has been on every recruit visit with Trey and us) and he teared up ~ we are so proud!! He wasn't used much at Pierce once he started getting offers (to put other kids in for exposure), so there were very, very few passes to him. Also, coupled with the fact that Pierce had 3 struggling QB's. Here's his high school tape that my brother made that shows a few catches (love 4:15) . He has come SUCH as long way ~ wasn't the "superstar" in high school getting tons of attention. He believed in himself when no one else did and fought for what he wanted and MADE people look! I could TALK forever about him, he is such an awesome kid/son! Thank you, Thank you for taking the time to do this!

That's what life is about. Taking an idea, a goal, a wish, a dream, and working your tail off until you accomplish it. The greatest feeling (at least for me) is reading about/seeing/helping someone who has self-actualized and found themselves in the position that they have worked so hard to get at. Nobody ever says it's easy, only that it would be worth while. You should be very proud of Trey. I feel like life is made up of moments that define who you are and who you want to be. I can only imagine that signing that LOI tomorrow is going to be one of those moments.