Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 110 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quinerly does not have time on his side. I don't see him going to a school with a log jam at guard if he's trying for his final pro audition.

Logjam? He averaged 30 mpg at Bama year before last and 21 last year. He had a key role on a team better than SU. He would have the most experience of any guard coming in. He would be good for all the young guys to play alongside. Wouldn't stunt his long term plans at all unless he was flat out awful which I wouldn't count on.

One thing is for sure, he will not be playing in the NBA next year. He might be in the G League, but he will not step on the court of an NBA team. Anyone who thinks otherwise, is only kidding themselves.
Even for a cup of coffee? Buddy and Cole played in the NBA last season. Hopefully you think Judah has more upside.

It's a tough decision for sure.

Playing in the NBA is every players dream. Competition at the highest level, great pay day, flying on private jets, non stop pipe laying, yesterday was New Orleans, today is Miami, you are laying down for a salt bath in an infinity tub overlooking south beach after a workout, and a Colombian mamacita is hand feeding you ceviche and sushi, with two other girls helping you relax your lower extremity. Tomorrow is LA.

G-league travels on commercial flights. I think before COVID players even share double bed rooms. No fandom at all to speak of and everyone is fighting to get called up from the basement. Your teammates are also your competition. You do get to focus on basketball development but it is a real grind.

But college is different, Judah already experienced one year of it. Sure you can look at NIL, look at media exposure, and quantify and compare the pluses and minuses, but college is another year of freedom, exploration, silliness, to still be a kid a little while longer, alongside others the same age with no agenda, to try to win basketball games in a purest sense possible, that's a once in a life time option, you can't return to it ten years later, it's not the same.

Tough decision to make.

If he wants to move on, then I’ll be happy for him, and hoping for the best. I don’t think he would come back and be disgruntled. If he felt that way then he would just stay in the draft. I will say that I don’t want him to come back and turn his year into a selfish audition. Which I don’t see happening, and Red wouldn’t have it.
i think, on the surface, he would handle himself well in whatever the situation - his attitude is great

it just seems he really wants NBA

maybe not disgruntled but distracted or preoccupied or not fully invested or something along those lines could happen in that case

in my decades of following team sports, anytime there is a player who doesnt truly want to be in the situation/team they are on, it often leads to less than ideal outcomes

not saying that would actually happen with Judah...just saying it is a real possibility because of human psychology

It’s not just Judah waiting until the last day…

Looking at that long list of names - I don't see any likely 1st rounders. They are all kids with an NBA dream leaning to stay in the draft, believing they will defy the odds as a 2nd rounder or undrafted free agent and have an NBA career. Instead of looking at history which will show how long of a shot it is to go this route, and that half of 2nd round picks are foreign players, they stay stuck in "the dream". It's sad that those who are fortunate to have adults (parents, coaches, agents) in their camp who should know better, provide bad advice. Any kid on this list who've been told that another year at school should propel them into the first round would be foolish not to return to college.

In the case of Judah who is a middle class kid whose dad is an attorney (someone posted that bit of information recently), staying in the draft with anything short of a first round guarantee doesn't make sense at all.

Hey Judah no matter what. Today is your day bro, today is your day bro! (which board movie fan will get the quote?)

People like to forget kids have to still go to class in college as well. I know this is a reason why few come back as well. Not saying in Judahs case but also something we tend to forget
ding ding ding

For 109 pages I have kept quiet because like everyone else I don't really have a clue as to what Judah is going to do. But looking objectively at this here are my two cents- because that's about all it's worth when it comes to his decision.

Judah came to SU with a lot of hype. The season started slowly for him, as he learned a new system and played with players he hasn't played with before. The first half of the season was gone before you could see the team was finally getting comfortable. They won a few close games, lost a few close games. Then about 3/4 of the way through the season it was like a light-bulb clicked in his head. It was almost like a mid-range shot developed out of thin air, and shortly after he started to make a few threes as well. Suddenly he had the look of a true NBA prospect.

He did the right thing by entering his name in the draft while retaining his college eligibility. He put in the work through the combine and did whatever was asked of him. It remains unclear as to how many workouts for individual teams he had, we know of at least one. But the one team has multiple picks available to them. His metrics we average overall-he excelled in a couple areas but was average in others. The question is overall is was the last quarter of the season and his combine showing enough to convince a team to take a chance on him? His growth was nothing short of phenomenal and we have no reason to doubt that growth is over.But is it enough?

I suspect that he is being told he may be better off showcasing his growth and leadership one more year in college. He could indeed get picked very late, but with no guarantees. Or he could go undrafted and hope for a free agent contract. Unfortunately for Judah that will likely relegate him to the G-league. Although that will allow him to focus more completely on his game, it will not really allow him to be the star as he will be going up against guys with similar ability.

Or he could come back to school for another year. Here he would be the lead guard on a brand new team, the first of the Red era. This alone etches his name in history. He could easily showcase his skills and show for an entire year he can sustain the success he has built. He will continue to grow as a player, as a leader. So why hasn't he decided?

I suspect there are two dynamics at work. First is he wants the NBA. What kid who has played his short life focused on basketball doesn't? It is a dream and he is this close to fulfilling it. Second is NIL. Love it or hate it the thing is here. The longer he withheld his decision the more NIL collectives may have been able to offer him to return. After all, if he has to return to school, why not maximize what he can actually make?

I hope by the end of the day he will come back. And not just because I am a selfish fan, but because I think coming back maximizes his future potential. I think if he has been told he is a guaranteed pick he should go, but I don't think he has or he would have already announced he is staying in. I admire his confidence in himself if he decides to stay in, and I hope it works out like he hopes it will. I truly think the best thing for him would be maximizing his return for one more year. But I am not him, trying to live his dream.

Good luck Judah, whatever your decision may be.
Well said

People like to forget kids have to still go to class in college as well. I know this is a reason why few come back as well. Not saying in Judahs case but also something we tend to forget
Eh, do they really?

No Mintz in this morning’s Givony Mock Draft

Surprised at this honestly. He was 55 before but didn't see anything that would have changed that based on the combine

Quinerly does not have time on his side. I don't see him going to a school with a log jam at guard if he's trying for his final pro audition.

I think he's the likely starter if he comes here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom