Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure you're actually in the minority. It seems to me that most people are skeptical, hence him being seen as a 2nd round pick.

He's a tough one because he came into college with a reputation as a good shooter in the mid-range and his jumper didn't really start to go down until the very end of the season. You're right that if he legitimately can't shoot, he's almost certainly not going to pan out in the NBA. I'm also always a bit skeptical of guys that have to work as hard as he does to get good shots off; I tend to view things like selling pump-fakes, being able to just keep defenders off-balance with his unique hesitations and stuff as the sorts of little things that can take you from being a good player to a great one, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with someone that legitimately needs to depend on it to create his looks.

Having said that, finding guys that have the touch around the rim that he does is very difficult. Finding guys that are as good at drawing fouls as he is is very difficult. And I think he showed plenty of flashes in terms of his passing and defense to potentially be excited about. I think if he can keep defenses honest with his jumper, the driving game will be effective for him in the NBA but that's a big if. For me, he's the type of guy I'd like to take a flier on at the end of the first round; if my Bucks ended up with a late 1st round pick this year for some reason, I'd be happy to take him. But I'd be lying if I said I was confident that his game will translate to the NBA.
Judah is a very good shooter. He just struggled for a couple months at Syracuse. He'll be able to shoot 3s in the NBA. The transition won't be seamless, but he'll get there sooner rather than later.

Judah is a very good shooter. He just struggled for a couple months at Syracuse. He'll be able to shoot 3s in the NBA. The transition won't be seamless, but he'll get there sooner rather than later.

Potential there but very good - I don’t think the current evidence supports that.

Potential there but very good - I don’t think the current evidence supports that.
He was a very good shooter throughout HS, and he was a very good shooter during the last quarter of the college season. The only time he's been a bad shooter was the first few months of his first college season. The rest of his 19 years he was a good shooter. Used to be wet on a little tikes hoop as a kid too.

He'll be able to run pick and roll at the nba level, imo, at the least as a rotational guard.

I think people are focusing way too much on his shooting prowess as it stands right now. As long as you are showing indications of proper form and ability, an NBA team will believe they can improve his shot if that's an issue.

He can get by an initial defender, he needs to keep improving his decision making once he's downhill and seeing help defenses (but he got way better at it on the college level in the back half of the year) and he'll need to make sure he can functionally play D.

Whether he goes or not may just be up to him on if he thinks he can make a leap into the 2024 draft to like the back end of the lottery and if that matters to him.

Now that the double draft is off the table with the new NBA CBA, plus the NIL, a bit more flex on having to go or not.

Does the fact he was invited to the G League combine vs the NBA combine say anything about his potential? To me it indicates no better than late second round.

This draft just seems really crowded and deep.
I’m not sure he returns, but next year appears better for him, albeit he’d be up against Starling and possibly others.

Now how much of MCW being drafted 11th had to do with his tourney play vs combine? (And others too). Carmelo is the shining example of potential translating into leadership, but he still would have been mid 1st round, worst.

bottom line missing the tourney is gonna ding your draft position. nobody moves up sitting home.

He was advised by scouts/others during and shortly after the season he’d benefit from another year of college.

However, we all know what we have in Judah and know that he may well end up being a top 5 performer at the combine when he gets cookin.

Im rooting for him to kill the combine. This is the opportunity he wanted. He’s an NBA talent, it’ll come down to what he hears in the next couple weeks and how that readjusts the scales. I think he’s got what it takes and then some.

He was advised by scouts/others during and shortly after the season he’d benefit from another year of college.

However, we all know what we have in Judah and know that he may well end up being a top 5 performer at the combine when he gets cookin.

Im rooting for him to kill the combine. This is the opportunity he wanted. He’s an NBA talent, it’ll come down to what he hears in the next couple weeks and how that readjusts the scales. I think he’s got what it takes and then some.
The why was he “advised by scouts/others during and shortly after the season he’d benefit from another year of college”?

The why was he “advised by scouts/others during and shortly after the season he’d benefit from another year of college”?
Develop a mid range and perimeter game etc.

Stuff imo he already has but our limited 2022 team didnt put him in great positions to showcase.

free throw shooting percentage is a traditional indicator of repeatable and clean mechanics. Judah was 18th in the ACC with 75% and he shot nearly 40% from three from January onward. I think that evidence supports he can be a good enough shooter.

Top 5 performer? He better hope he’s not near Scoot Henderson on the floor at any point.

Top 5 performer? He better hope he’s not near Scoot Henderson on the floor at any point.
I'd be surprised if Scoot does much at the Combine anyways, but there will be better athletes than Judah there for sure.

I'd be surprised if Scoot does much at the Combine anyways, but there will be better athletes than Judah there for sure.
Not sure they can opt out of much anymore there. Believe they have to do everything now.

Was this posted? Judah's highlights. Not sure I see him coming back for year 2 after watching it. Not bad for a skinny freshman. We can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom