Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Maliq is working on shooting, or is he just focusing on getting better at what he did last year? I saw a video of him as a recruit making open threes in practice, which all guys try in practice, but it makes me wonder if that's something he regularly practices and whether he'll develop a jump shot. He had a horrible FT percentage last year. If he can shoot well enough to draw a defender, our small ball lineup with him at center could be effective to open things up for our slashers, and would make him more playable at the 4. I suspect that might be a few years away, if ever, but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it. We need ways to open lanes for this group of guards.
I would certainly think so. Brown being able to hit a jumper consistently could make him dangerous and a huge asset to the team. I said it during the season... I doubt he's as far away from that happening as we think. Last year he was very disciplined and did what the team needed. Many players fight this but he did not.

drip GIF
After a Month in the Philippines in 1990 this post hurts.

Let’s be selfish as SU fans for a second…

Regardless of if it’s the right decision or not for Judah, and you can certainly debate that if you wish, there have not been many of these wins for our program in recent years.

With additional support around him, and a different system that might hopefully highlight his skill set even more, Judah should be in the mix for a big year.

Starters
G - Mintz - So.
G - Starling - So.
G - Westry - RFr.
F - Williams - Jr.
C - McLeod - Jr.

Second Unit
G - Copeland - So.
G - Taylor -So.
G - Cuffe - RSo.
F - Bell/Brown - So./So.
C - Hima/Brown - Jr./So.

Developmental
Patterson - Fr.
Carey - RFr.

For a three-guard system, and one that presses and expends energy on defense, this is a very good roster construct. Impressively quick transformation from last year to this year.

No pure shooters in the starting lineup but all four of the non centers can make them. Not GMac/Girard level but not Josh Pace either. The bench has two shooters that can play if we are zoned against. A couple of interchangeable parts and bigger guards who can play a wing, and Brown who can probably play the 5 if we are facing a smaller team.

One thing that stands out is no seniors, but in the new college basketball world, that’s not abnormal. Also, our schedule looks like it could be a gauntlet this year.

But I would be shocked if this team with normal health isn’t a tournament team.
this starting 5 is absolutely tournament worthy.

I would certainly think so. Brown being able to hit a jumper consistently could make him dangerous and a huge asset to the team. I said it during the season... I doubt he's as far away from that happening as we think. Last year he was very disciplined and did what the team needed. Many players fight this but he did not.
Agreed but there are two things I would prefer to see Brown doing these next 5 months. First hit the gym and increase size and strength. Another 12 to 15 pounds of good weight would be a plus. Second I want him watching tape of how DC rebounded years ago and quickly hit the outlet man 15 feet down court to start fast breaks.

this is one of the hardest player decisions for me to call that i can think of...I think he's right on the cusp of go or stay...

judah needs to improve on things that (mostly) he might not be able to:
  • wingspan
  • size
  • 3 pt shot
shooting is something he can improve...but no guarantee that he actually does in NCAA next season...he can bulk up but doens;t need to be in college for that...wingspan wont change

He seems to have gotten better a bit at PG play and setting the table - had some dimes in the combine scrimmage...

IDK - I think he has "it"... the intangibles to play in the NBA - the mentality the drive etc...

but not sure what he should do, really - I think he could be a first rounder next year,,,but it's not certain...

hard call.

He could certainly improve his strength by putting on 10-15 good pounds in the weight room, and maybe he would finish better through traffic instead of getting bounced on the floor all the time.

this starting 5 is absolutely tournament worthy.

Not only is that starting five a tournament team but there is the upside for a protected seed. Obviously a number of things would have to break right - Benny taking a jump, Chance at full health, chemistry across Judah/JJ/Chance in terms of roles - but there is a reality where that team could be really good. Plus the roster would have stronger depth than years past with legit players like JT and Q coming off the bench.

With so many unknowns it could also totally be a dumpster fire, but would be nice to have the talent to dream big again.

With so many unknowns it could also totally be a dumpster fire, but would be nice to have the talent to dream big again.

Yep, 100% agree. At least we're swinging for the fences. I think most of us are good with coming up short provided that we're doing this. The last few years have been painful in that regard.

Yep, 100% agree. At least we're swinging for the fences. I think most of us are good with coming up short provided that we're doing this. The last few years have been painful in that regard.

Plus we immediately get buzz as a preseason top 25 team with Judah a pre season all American. Real buzz but with real talent that can go with.

Kind of right in the middle.

Judah Mintz | Syracuse | PG/SG | Age: 19.8

most of the projected picks are between 18.7 and 20.9. Two are over 23.

I tried to create a normal curve, but gave up.
More than age, what is affecting Judah is his lack of experience playing point guard. He was always a 2 guard before SU and I would think most scouts are intrigued by him, but feel that he would benefit from at least another year learning the position in college.

This accurately characterizes the sentiment for next season.
A lot of moving parts.
But that's a good thing because the "moving" means running.

One caveat here is that in order to run you need to rebound.
And with a 3 guard lineup that probably becomes more difficult.

Another caveat is that you gotta have shooters or you'll face packed in defenses which will hinder the slash and drive and dish game.
That means that at least Bell or Taylor has to be on the court unless someone else shows the consistent ability to hit the 3.

(And while we're dreaming...how about dreaming that Peter Carey becomes a guy who can hit from outside)?

More than age, what is affecting Judah is his lack of experience playing point guard. He was always a 2 guard before SU and I would think most scouts are intrigued by him, but feel that he would benefit from at least another year learning the position in college.
and shooting 3's

Not only is that starting five a tournament team but there is the upside for a protected seed. Obviously a number of things would have to break right - Benny taking a jump, Chance at full health, chemistry across Judah/JJ/Chance in terms of roles - but there is a reality where that team could be really good. Plus the roster would have stronger depth than years past with legit players like JT and Q coming off the bench.

Sure, I think they should be talented enough to be a tourney team, though as you said, sooooo many unknowns. We have some relatively highly rated kids again finally, though who knows how they'll fit. We don't even truly know our system or if Red can be a head guy yet, so even beyond the talent, who the f knows.

I do think we're going to struggle because of our frontcourt, at least at times. Rebounding, defense and scoring from there is all up in the air. Maybe Benny takes a step forward and becomes a consistent double figure scorer. I think he found something with his shot late in the year, but is he a good shooter? Who knows until we see more of it. Motor, rebounding, defense for him all have to be improved over last year.

Bell, Taylor, Brown - who knows if they'll be good fits or much improved over last year. All seemed very one-dimensional in their own ways, and I'm not sure any are good enough be bigtime players on a top 20 team. Let's hope so though.

Center is an even bigger question.

At least we seem to have some semblance of direction again, improving the talent and have a real chance to get back where we belong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom