Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think coming back for one more year would be the best thing for him, but I can’t blame him for testing it out
Yup, if he doesn’t try, he’ll never know. And he can come back determined to work on the skills the NBA evaluation indicates he should improve upon.

Edit: This had to be the world’s most redundant post but I am keeping it I because it’s not my fault I read this thread just before bedtime.

Last edited:
And that’s what sucks for coaches. We have to know long before June 12 what judahs doing to make a decision on a replacement otherwise we won’t get one.

To me this is why going guard heavy has multiple advantages. Going big and wing heavy is at odds with today's game to begin with but being guard heavy in both playing style and ensuring opportunities for minutes- as well as managing attrition through the NBA evaluation process helps some if you have to do some hedging early.

This is a no-brainer move for him. It will only help him to be told what aspects of his game he needs to improve and to see how he competes with potential next level players.

Meanwhile, Tankathon does not even have him in the second round.

I expect Judah will do well, but also be told he will need to work on his outside shot. The big key for him will be how well he can get to the hoop against next level defenders.

How nice is it to see the coach support his players publicly on a decision like this? Of course he wants him to stay, but no need to trash the player and tell everyone he’s not ready yet. If he really thinks that and is trying to guide him for what is best for Mintz, he can do that in private. No need to say those types of things publicly.

Frustrated Will Ferrell GIF

How nice is it to see the coach support his players publicly on a decision like this? Of course he wants him to stay, but no need to trash the player and tell everyone he’s not ready yet. If he really thinks that and is trying to guide him for what is best for Mintz, he can do that in private. No need to say those types of things publicly.
wow imagine if Syracuse had a coach who would publicly question this type of thing

I'm thinking Judah will be back. His drive to the rim ability is NBA level now. But he's got to get a little stronger and not end up on the floor so often. That's the number one thing I think he needs to get to the next level. But if you draft on potential alone he might end up being drafted. Hope not. I'd love to see him play with a more experienced team around him and a more wide open offense.
We need a portal guard even when he does come back. Although I like both players I'm not sure I want Q and JT to be our only backup guards.

Glad for the optimism here, but the way I look at these situations is to expect them to stay in the draft and to be pleasantly surprised if they come back, particularly Judah who could work his way to the late first round pick conversation.

Judging from his post and if you look in the comments of that post, it doesn’t sound like a kid who is just going to collect intel from nba scouts. He sounds like he’s going in with the expectation that he’s going to improve his draft stock and stay in the draft.

Maybe he truly isn’t ready and needs an extra year. But the one thing we know about Judah, is he definitely doesn’t lack confidence. I’m not going to bet against him, like a lot of ‘fans’ are doing in the comments.

Wish him what’s best for him and as a fan would be cheering to have him back next year, for what could be a huge year for the program.

The NBA’s early entry deadline is April 23; underclassmen have until June 12 to withdraw from the draft.
June 12th is the day to withdraw from the draft while losing NCAA eligibility (unless the rule changed this year). I believe the day to withdraw from the draft while maintaining NCAA eligibility is the end of May.

How does the class of '23 point guards look?
I think that is a good question - what does the draft look like next year? Do any of the non-NBA options generate more wealth than our NIL program.? Personally I don't think he's NBA ready. I think entering with no agent signals he is more than likely to come back but entering, though the smart thing, always opens the door to leaving.

Difficult situation for Red to get a portal replacement guard without the player knowing whether Judah will return. I suppose one way around it would be guarantee a starting spot to the portal guard, and then if Judah returns play a 3-guard lineup. If Judah gets drafted, play 2 guards (assuming we still have the forwards for that -- and it might just create an issue at forward, and we could use a stud portal wing).

How does the class of '23 point guards look?
If you're referring to the NBA Draft, the next two years of mocks from ESPN currently look like this for PGs (projected pick in parentheses):

2023:
  1. Scoot Henderson (#2)
  2. Amen Thompson (#4)
  3. Nick Smith (#7) - Not sure if teams really consider him a PG prospect anymore, but I'll include him here just in case)
  4. Anthony Black (#10)
  5. Jalen Hood-Schifino (#12) - Same as Nick Smith
  6. Cason Wallace (#13)
  7. Kobe Bufkin (#21) - Same as Nick Smith
  8. Marcus Sasser (#35)
2024:
  1. Matas Buzelis (#1) - He's really a forward with some ball-handling skills
  2. Cody Williams (#2) - Same as Buzelis
  3. Isaiah Collier (#5)
  4. DJ Wagner (#7)
  5. Bronny James (#10) - Including him because he's listed as a PG/SG, but he is not in any way a PG.
  6. Kobe Bufkin (#11) - Included in 2023 as well
  7. Tyrese Proctor (#22) - Split ball-handling duties for Duke this year, could go either way between PG/SG.
  8. Judah Mintz (#23)
Both drafts are pretty stacked with what ESPN is considering to be PG prospects, though the shine has wore off Scoot and Amen Thompson a little bit (still very highly regarded though) and I question many of the positional listings. In terms of guys that are unquestionably PGs, Judah would probably slot in around the #4-6 range in either draft positionally. That is obviously subject to change if he returns; perhaps some of the guys currently ahead of him will disappoint, or more pessimistically, perhaps Judah himself would show little improvement and potentially slide further down.

such a weird mix of mild emotions for me, as a fan.

one, I do not think he is ready right now to go shine in the NBA and wont be for a few years - physically, mentally, and certain aspects of his game (shot, PG play, etc)...Im a big fan of his game but I don't think he should go, objectively. I think his goal should be first round pick...and he likely wont be that this year. I get it that they draft on potential...but for me being a 2nd rounder is such a risk if the goal is to actually have a long NBA career. emotions: concern and doubt

two, it would be nice for him to make his dreams come true...so yeah I hope he does make it to the NBA. emotion: hopeful

three, as a Cuse fan, I want him to come back for another season, selfishly. It wouldnt be fair to say he owes it to the team exactly but his freshman season was full of growing pains and was very up and down. He was a key piece...of a bad team. While watching him this season I kinda always felt like he wasnt truly ready yet to be the lead PG of an ACC team as a freshman but will be in future season(s) so it was kinda like paying dues bc he will be good enough for that later...so, if he leaves now it would be like making the "sacrifice" and not getting the"reward" (from the fans'/program's perspective)...emotion: leery

Big picture: I get it that this is what NCAABB is now...players that arent ready for the roles they play in college that leave before they are ready to actually play in the NBA...but that doesnt mean I have to like it. I don't. This kind of dynamic does a lot to kill my interest in the sport, to be frank. I agree with JB who recently said NCAABB is in a bad place right now... emotion: discontent

What do you do in recruiting nowadays??? Go after the "star" players who are too immature to actually win games for you but are very talented (who are also hard to land) and then watch them leave before you win with them...OR go for the less talented players who will stick around...but also probably arent good enough to help you win either?? I guess my approach would be go for the international players who might not be as highly ranked and wouldnt be as likley to leave and generally seem to play harder etc a la Marek...there isnt really a good option, though, ...I guess actually building through the portal is the best...but that's a 1 year cycle. rinse and repeat.

Exactly this. Judah is projected a mid 2nd rounder. Judah is a legitimate case where NIL and coming back a year makes way too much sense. You know he’s going to get paid if we comes back a year at Syracuse. And then he will improve his stock for next years draft. The money difference from a mid 2nd rounder to a lottery pick is pretty big. A lottery pick is where I see Judah next year and I think the people around him know that. But he’d also be dumb bit to test the waters right now and at least go through the process. Nothing unexpected coming from Judah at this point.

And for people worried that he will transfer if he comes back to college. Don’t be. It’s Syracuse or NBA.
This 1000%

In the new world of NIL, this is a pivotal moment. Cuse needs to find a way to get these borderline NBA players to stay for another year whenever possible. Especially if it helps the player's career to stay another year. If Judah works out well, it will get us more players like that in the future

Difficult situation for Red to get a portal replacement guard without the player knowing whether Judah will return. I suppose one way around it would be guarantee a starting spot to the portal guard, and then if Judah returns play a 3-guard lineup. If Judah gets drafted, play 2 guards (assuming we still have the forwards for that -- and it might just create an issue at forward, and we could use a stud portal wing).
At what point do Symir reconsider if Mintz is gone? My guess is Symir will decide long before June12. Still I have a difficult time seeing HCAA portalling a guard who could contribute more with the uncertainty of Mintz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom