Just an overall defeated feeling | Syracusefan.com

Just an overall defeated feeling

AAM62

All Conference
Cuse is staring down the barrel of a 3-9 season, the Jets are done for, and its a cold Monday. The football gods are cruel...

I still think 5-7 is very possible. The weather was a factor vs Wake. Would I rather have had Dungey go 12-36 passing instead of running it up the middle? Sure. At least you can say we tried but the weather failed us. But we are where we thought we would be right now. VA Tech, Clemson, FSU will kill us. We need to beat a really bad BC team and a mediocre at best NC State team. Take care of business those two games and it is a pretty decent year 1.

I still think 5-7 is very possible. The weather was a factor vs Wake. Would I rather have had Dungey go 12-36 passing instead of running it up the middle? Sure. At least you can say we tried but the weather failed us. But we are where we thought we would be right now. VA Tech, Clemson, FSU will kill us. We need to beat a really bad BC team and a mediocre at best NC State team. Take care of business those two games and it is a pretty decent year 1.

You didn't mention Pitt.

I think those teams are looking at us as a key win as well. Nothing is going to be easy. The more film teams have on us, the harder it gets.

All 3 of Pitt, BC and NC State have better talent than Wake does, just a fact. All 3 have better talent than we have. Wake actually IMO has less talent than we have and that ended up being a loss.

Do you really see us beating any of them? We all counted Wake as a win on this board for the most part. Now we are counting teams with better talent as wins too.

My optimism for this season is shot, mainly because we looked like we took 3 steps back against an inferior team last weekend.

All 3 of Pitt, BC and NC State have better talent than Wake does, just a fact. All 3 have better talent than we have. Wake actually IMO has less talent than we have and that ended up being a loss.

Do you really see us beating any of them? We all counted Wake as a win on this board for the most part. Now we are counting teams with better talent as wins too.

My optimism for this season is shot, mainly because we looked like we took 3 steps back against an inferior team last weekend.

Colgate is an inferior team. You can have your opinion about Wake Forest but that doesn't make it the right one. I'm sure wake fans were marking their schedule and chalking us up as a win too. What does that tell you? AND IT WAS RAINING AND WINDY. It doesn't excuse some of the play-calling and lack of execution but we are a team that thrives on THROWING THE BALL. Why can't people freaking grasp this concept? It's not that damn hard.

You are nuts, a very mediocre NC st team? You downplay all our competition and then come on here and act flabbergasted when we don't beat them. Why? because you honestly believe what you are writing. Only game we have a shot in is BC, and the weather isn't always a given there either. Their defense will be good enough to bother us for sure. They wont score much so it will come down to which meatheads make mistakes

Wake is probably just a notch better than we are right now, neutral field it would have been a pickem. 50/50 shot. We play 10 games we win 5 we win 5 or something very similar. People are parading around here like we were 17 point favorites and only lost because of the weather. WAKE UP!! I hope you people don't gamble.

They will be lucky to win 1 more game. Geeze Stranger things have happened, upsets etc but there is NO clear viable path to 5 wins at this point we will be under dogs in every game. I just don't get it.

NC State is the 4th best team left on the schedule. In order, Clemson, FSU, VT, NC State >= Pitt, BC

NC State is the 4th best team left on the schedule. In order, Clemson, FSU, VT, NC State >= Pitt, BC

Just curious - what do you base that on? I know they beat Notre Dame, but that was a complete slop fest.

Cuse is staring down the barrel of a 3-9 season, the Jets are done for, and its a cold Monday. The football gods are cruel...
Let go of your conscious self. Feel the basketball side.

You are nuts, a very mediocre NC st team? You downplay all our competition and then come on here and act flabbergasted when we don't beat them. Why? because you honestly believe what you are writing. Only game we have a shot in is BC, and the weather isn't always a given there either. Their defense will be good enough to bother us for sure. They wont score much so it will come down to which meatheads make mistakes

Wake is probably just a notch better than we are right now, neutral field it would have been a pickem. 50/50 shot. We play 10 games we win 5 we win 5 or something very similar. People are parading around here like we were 17 point favorites and only lost because of the weather. WAKE UP!! I hope you people don't gamble.

They will be lucky to win 1 more game. Geeze Stranger things have happened, upsets etc but there is NO clear viable path to 5 wins at this point we will be under dogs in every game. I just don't get it.

Wake was giving up 385 yards passing a game going into our game. Our strength is our passing game. They didn't all of a sudden get good at stopping the pass. It was a combo of weather and IMO our coaches over compensating for the weather in their play calling. They have no O, which helps our bad D. We should have been able to outscore them. The advanced stats have us ranked ahead of Wake despite them being 5-1 while we are 2-4 and lost to them. It isn't like I am coming out of left field here in saying that we are better than them. We just weren't better than them this game.

BC and RU have the worst P5 Os in the nation. They will not score many points. Their D has struggled this year. We should be able to outscore them. The advanced stats have us ranked even with them. So you can act like I am nuts but the stats back me up.

NC State plays garbage teams to start the year every season and then limps their way into a Bowl. They lost to ECU who is 2-4. Also they will be 5-4 when we play them (at home). By then in theory we should be peaking. IMO they have the worst HC in the ACC. He was lucky that the hurricane hit because they don't beat ND otherwise and he would be on the hot seat. So yeah I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that we beat them.

I don't think we beat Pitt, but we will have a chance. Their D has issues and their O IMO fits what our D can stop. When we play them, they will likely be 6-5 (if that). While it would be an upset, it isn't like we are beating a Top 40 team.

Maybe I am overrating what we can do. That is fair. But I am not underrating our opponents. They are not very good.

enjoy the rest of the season unhinged by any expectation. i think back to the first Marrone season and the Rutgers game. We were a bad team that year but he got them hitting everything in sight in that game and finally beat Rutgers in the post P era.

I am looking forward to one of those games and springboarding into next season. I bet that game is the Pitt one.

Was everyone really thinking w this schedule and scheme change we'd be, ahem, good?

If there is mumurs of an unhappy Babers and he's disenfranchised w Syracuse, then by all means feel defeated but i'm going to enjoy this for what it is.

This loss hurt until I realized that we are now at that point in rebuilding where Wake was 2 years ago and on a good field we still would have won the game. We need patience and we need to trust Dino.

I hate losing, but I believe that Dino Babers - and the improved football infrastructure and the ACC and the growing reputation of the school - will attract better and better athletes to the Program.

I think it is a matter of time - and I think time is on our side.

We need to get bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic.

And we will.

We will probably win one more game.

That is what I expect.

I agree about having 1 more win. I do not think Wake is better than us. They got sooooo lucky that we couldn't pass the ball like we do. They are really bad vs the pass. We couldn't tempo them.

We win by 10 at home.

Wake was giving up 385 yards passing a game going into our game. Our strength is our passing game. They didn't all of a sudden get good at stopping the pass. It was a combo of weather and IMO our coaches over compensating for the weather in their play calling. They have no O, which helps our bad D. We should have been able to outscore them. The advanced stats have us ranked ahead of Wake despite them being 5-1 while we are 2-4 and lost to them. It isn't like I am coming out of left field here in saying that we are better than them. We just weren't better than them this game.

BC and RU have the worst P5 Os in the nation. They will not score many points. Their D has struggled this year. We should be able to outscore them. The advanced stats have us ranked even with them. So you can act like I am nuts but the stats back me up.

NC State plays garbage teams to start the year every season and then limps their way into a Bowl. They lost to ECU who is 2-4. Also they will be 5-4 when we play them (at home). By then in theory we should be peaking. IMO they have the worst HC in the ACC. He was lucky that the hurricane hit because they don't beat ND otherwise and he would be on the hot seat. So yeah I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that we beat them.

I don't think we beat Pitt, but we will have a chance. Their D has issues and their O IMO fits what our D can stop. When we play them, they will likely be 6-5 (if that). While it would be an upset, it isn't like we are beating a Top 40 team.

Maybe I am overrating what we can do. That is fair. But I am not underrating our opponents. They are not very good.

PITT is really, really bad vs the pass. Must be driving captain kiwi crazy.

I hate losing, but I believe that Dino Babers - and the improved football infrastructure and the ACC and the growing reputation of the school - will attract better and better athletes to the Program.

I think it is a matter of time - and I think time is on our side.

We need to get bigger, faster, stronger and more athletic.

And we will.
i hope u r right, but time more than a decade, has been on our side. albeit, we spent much of that talking about what we are going to do rather than doing it.it took forever to get an ipf, and i hope that we move soon on stadium renovation. i have a belief that there will be pleasant surprises with the current administration, and the program, just have become impatient with the process

This team can still go 6-6.

Stop laughing, I'm serious. It starts this Saturday. Va Tech historically poops themselves in the Dome.

i'm not ready to rule out a completely listless FSU at the dome either. type of team that if it's not in the BCS hunt, they will be potentially had. Front runner type operation for sure.

As bad as the game was Sat. we just needed to have 1 of the 3 guys fall on a fumble and not throw an INT in the endzone and probably we win the game.. Wake was playing from ahead the whole 2nd half and that helped. Still we had the ball inside the red zone 3 times without scoring and actually gave up 7 pts.. Wake scored exactly what they would have scored in great weather 21-28 pts. No way we scored 9 pts in and kind of reg weather..

Look at the stats and see that of the 4 Offensive teams that lost on Sat in UNC we were the only ones who actually had any kind of offense , it helped the weather was somewhat better, but still UNC/ND dont get shut down in normal weather either.. ND had 100 yds.

I totally have faith in Dino Babers, btw. That wasn't the purpose of the thread.

Just curious - what do you base that on? I know they beat Notre Dame, but that was a complete slop fest.

They also beat WF by 17 points the week before our debacle. We certainly won't be favored in that game.