Just because we stink at throwing doesn't mean we should throw backward | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just because we stink at throwing doesn't mean we should throw backward

What I really dislike is the predictable personnel changes. like throwing DMC in there knowing its going to be a screen ben lewis for bubbles.

Why is it that for every other team, their WRs are able to chop block our defensive backs and knock them down, enabling their screen to go for sizeable yardage. But when we run those plays, our WRs don't seem to tie up anybody, and any YAC is more a function of the receiver individually making a play?

Drives me nuts.

Yea because that is what cost us the game.
Considering we lost the game by 1 point, I'd say giving up a fumble return for a TD kind of did. It was certainly a contributing factor.

Last edited:
Here's the deal on the "bubble screen". Coach Mac is correct that it is an extension of the running game, not the passing game. The main reason is that unlike actual pass plays the offensive linemen are allowed to block down field as long as the ball is caught behind the line of scrimmage. You will very very rarely see a QB pull back a "bubble screen" and look down field because by that time his linemen are already down field and that will be a penalty. The purpose is to get the ball to play makers in space with at least one blocker. If the "play maker" can make one guy miss (or get a good block) it can go for a long gain (as other schools exhibit).

"as other schools exhibit"

Why aren't we exhibiting?

Why is it that for every other team, their WRs are able to chop block our defensive backs and knock them down, enabling their screen to go for sizeable yardage. But when we run those plays, our WRs don't seem to tie up anybody, and any YAC is more a function of the receiver individually making a play?

Drives me nuts.

I wonder if this is the reason for recruiting big WR's? I certainly hope not, but I can't recall us throwing many balls down field so the WR could use their size advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom