Just got interviewed by Nate Mink | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Just got interviewed by Nate Mink

Being a private school playing college football is very different than being a big state school unless you're talking about Notre Dame. The percentage of people in CNY who go to SU or who have family who went to SU is much smaller than what you will find in the area around any state school. It's not even close. And like others have said, the total number of alums not just local but all over the world is much larger at state schools.

Obviously, winning is the biggest step. We already know that from basketball, but you can see it with Duke football and probably Stanford football as well. Other than that, I like the idea of getting the young kids excited because if all of the kids at school want to go to games many of the parents are likely to make that happen. I think the problem becomes that at a certain age many of those kids are told that they won't be able to afford to go to SU, and some of those kids then become attached to other college programs around the country, usually one of the powerhouse schools. Even if that happens, I think you can still attract enough young fans to make the effort worthwhile. Changing the minds of adults, however, who never went to SU, short of winning, is very difficult.

I would be curious as to the percentage of BB season ticket holders (or non seasons who attend say half the games or more) who have season tickets for FB. It would also be interesting to see how far people travel to FB vs BB games. One would think there would be a wider geographic dispersion among FB fans (fewer games, weekends, better weather). Basically interested in the Venn diagram of FB and BB attendees. What is the overlap - particularly among locals? To what extent are there BB onlies and FB onlies? Knowing the answers would no doubt raise additional questions. One basic question - are there a significant number of folks in CNY who will brave the elements to see hoops but won't go to the FB games?

There is less going on in say December on a Tuesday Night than there is on a Saturday in September.

We only pump out 3.5k alumni per year and not many stay in the area. If we want to improve attendance it will take winning. The basketball team gets the highest or 2nd highest attendance per year. Why? Basketball has been successful. If you build it people will come. FB needs to win and not just be mediocre. We need to legitimate buzz.
Students will never be the attendance problem. We have 14k students if we get 3k students that would be enough.

Who cares how many alumni are pumped out and stay here. if the students don't go to the games while they attend what makes you think they will once out of school.

The last athletic director was also not a great ambassador to local businesses.

He's doing an article that will come out later in the week about why people aren't going to games- and why the problem seems to be worsening. He also wants to know when Syracuse stopped being a 'football school' and why. He's asking several people who have been long-time fans or observers of the program. Anything anybody here has to off would be welcome I'm sure.

My observations:

- We really have the profile of a basketball school, not a football school: a mid-size private school in the northeast in a state that doesn't emphasize high school football. A lot of private schools used to be good in football, like Fordham, NYU, Georgetown, Carnegie Tech, etc. who then gave up the sport or reduced themselves to the small college level. We almost did the same thing in the 70's. When we finally built the Dome it was a commitment to continue playing big time football. But it's heavy lifting for a school like Syracuse.

- We used to be a football school in the Schwartzwalder Era when our basketball teams had football players who were trying to stay in shape in their starting line-ups. I think two platoon football was the undoing of the football program: we weren't prepared to do the in-depth recruiting that required and the program fell apart from the late 60's through the mid 70's and we weren't able to get it going again for a decade afterwards. meanwhile the basketball program, buoyed, ironically by two building built for the football program: Manley Field House and the Carrier Dome, became a national power and the symbol of the school and community

- We've never drawn huge crowds. If you look at the attendance figures in the Media Guide, we've rarely had sell-outs in one of the smaller stadiums in the division. The 1959 national champions, playing in a stadium with a capacity of 41,000, averaged 30,200 with a high of 35,000 against West Virginia, (in a game played here, not in Morgantown as Hollywood supposed. The 1987 team, playing in a stadium that seats 50,000, averaged 44,490 and only sold out for Penn State, although they came close with BC and West Virginia.

- It would be interesting to compare the sizes of the populations and markets in football hotbeds to what we have here. The impact of having several pro teams in the region also has to be considered.

- I've never had any complaints about the concessions or amenities of the Dome. I don't use them that much: I usually get a bottle of water and remain in my seat until the game is over. I can't speak to what aspects of the Dome might drive people away as they haven't driven me away. I even like the chrome benches because you can climb over them if a row is blocked. I like the pictures on the wall. Maybe they could paint the walls orange. I'd even go for orange turf, (it would then make sens to wear blue), if it would help recruiting by making us unique.

- I do think the parking around the Dome is and has always been an issue. We keep setting "on campus" records. It suggests that few schools have their stadiums on campus. i think if a stadium was surrounded by adequate parking you'd probably get more fans. That was my primary objection to the proposal to build a new Dome down the hill. There was no parking at all in the diagram. They wanted to put it there to "revitalize the neighborhood". People have to park there to do that. If they are just getting on and off of buses to go to the games, all they are going to see of the neighborhood is was appears outside the bus windows.

- Maybe if we had more interest in high school football in this state it would carry over to more interest in college football. Maybe it's a grassroots problem.

- The Dome has always been the perfect place far a state-of the art passing game. If we'd had one of those aerial circus offenses from the beginning, we'd be able to recruit talent form all over the country to play that style. We'd score tons of points and people would come out to see our team, not the other team. it wouldn't matter if we were playing Central Michigan or LSU. We'd be the show.

- I had no explanation of why the attendance problems would be worse now than in years or why more people would have shown up for the Rhode Island game, against a worse, non-league opponent on a nicer day with the State Fair still going. Every explanation I've ever heard for our attendance problems has been around for years. Why are things worse now? I'm also baffled by the difference between reported attendance and actual attendance. I know it's ticket sales vs. turnstile count. What I don't understand is why people would have bought tickets and then no used them.

- In the end, fans have to see themselves not just as consumers but investors. It's not enough to say that you will start to care again about SU football when they get good. Investing in the program, financially and emotionally will help them get good again.

My 2 cents: we were a football school throughout the 1990's. Look at the attendance in 1992 (only 1 or 2 games under 49k and they were both 48k+) and the hype around the late 90's teams.

Long time lurker here, thought I'd finallly post. After growing up in Syracuse, I've been living down in the Atlanta area for the past 20 years. There is such a different mindset down south when it comes to college football. It is a religion. Up north, pro football is king. I've been to Georgia, GA-Tech (still trying to erase the memory of that last Tech-SU game) and Bama games (wife is a grad). I can tell you that a lot of the fans at these games are not alumni, just locals who are uber passionate about their team. There is no off-season for them, they breathe college fotball. The north (with a few exceptions) just does not have that culture. I think college football is a distant interest for most northern fans (pro-football, baseball rule). You need to breed that culture at SU like what has been done with basketball over the years. Unfortunately, as mentioned several times above, that only comes with consistent winning.

absolutely need to make games free for students for the foreseeable future. that isn't a question. it is a MUST. you will create an extra 500ish true fans per year that may never have gone to a game in the 1st place.

-70-80" HDTV's
-Economic Climate of the Area
-Population Loss
-Product on the field the past 15 years
-Small Private school profile
-Alumni that never stay in the area

Those are the biggest contributing factors

The city has gone to hell but the population of onondaga county is within
a couple of hundred of what it was in 1970. I agree we are poorer and older.

Who cares how many alumni are pumped out and stay here. if the students don't go to the games while they attend what makes you think they will once out of school.
Alumni staying the area would have people with an attachment to the school.
While your in college going to games isn't always doable. Noon games are crazy for students. I am a diehard and missed a couple of games because I had a social life.

-70-80" HDTV's
-Economic Climate of the Area
-Population Loss
-Product on the field the past 15 years
-Small Private school profile
-Alumni that never stay in the area

Those are the biggest contributing factors

CNY stopped losing population a long time ago. There's more people living in Onondaga County now then their was in 1980. I don't get where people make up these numbers from.

Also, I'm an alum that lives in the area and i know lots of other people 25-35 that are professionals that have Bills season tickets, but not Syracuse season tickets. In fact, the Bills sold a record amount of season tickets this year for them.

People haven't shown up so far this year because we were 3-9 last year. I know we had back to back winning seasons in 12 and 13, but you can't follow up success with the basement, because people just think we are the same old Syracuse.

He's doing an article that will come out later in the week about why people aren't going to games- and why the problem seems to be worsening. He also wants to know when Syracuse stopped being a 'football school' and why. He's asking several people who have been long-time fans or observers of the program. Anything anybody here has to off would be welcome I'm sure.

My observations:

- We really have the profile of a basketball school, not a football school: a mid-size private school in the northeast in a state that doesn't emphasize high school football. A lot of private schools used to be good in football, like Fordham, NYU, Georgetown, Carnegie Tech, etc. who then gave up the sport or reduced themselves to the small college level. We almost did the same thing in the 70's. When we finally built the Dome it was a commitment to continue playing big time football. But it's heavy lifting for a school like Syracuse.

- We used to be a football school in the Schwartzwalder Era when our basketball teams had football players who were trying to stay in shape in their starting line-ups. I think two platoon football was the undoing of the football program: we weren't prepared to do the in-depth recruiting that required and the program fell apart from the late 60's through the mid 70's and we weren't able to get it going again for a decade afterwards. meanwhile the basketball program, buoyed, ironically by two building built for the football program: Manley Field House and the Carrier Dome, became a national power and the symbol of the school and community

- We've never drawn huge crowds. If you look at the attendance figures in the Media Guide, we've rarely had sell-outs in one of the smaller stadiums in the division. The 1959 national champions, playing in a stadium with a capacity of 41,000, averaged 30,200 with a high of 35,000 against West Virginia, (in a game played here, not in Morgantown as Hollywood supposed. The 1987 team, playing in a stadium that seats 50,000, averaged 44,490 and only sold out for Penn State, although they came close with BC and West Virginia.

- It would be interesting to compare the sizes of the populations and markets in football hotbeds to what we have here. The impact of having several pro teams in the region also has to be considered.

- I've never had any complaints about the concessions or amenities of the Dome. I don't use them that much: I usually get a bottle of water and remain in my seat until the game is over. I can't speak to what aspects of the Dome might drive people away as they haven't driven me away. I even like the chrome benches because you can climb over them if a row is blocked. I like the pictures on the wall. Maybe they could paint the walls orange. I'd even go for orange turf, (it would then make sens to wear blue), if it would help recruiting by making us unique.

- I do think the parking around the Dome is and has always been an issue. We keep setting "on campus" records. It suggests that few schools have their stadiums on campus. i think if a stadium was surrounded by adequate parking you'd probably get more fans. That was my primary objection to the proposal to build a new Dome down the hill. There was no parking at all in the diagram. They wanted to put it there to "revitalize the neighborhood". People have to park there to do that. If they are just getting on and off of buses to go to the games, all they are going to see of the neighborhood is was appears outside the bus windows.

- Maybe if we had more interest in high school football in this state it would carry over to more interest in college football. Maybe it's a grassroots problem.

- The Dome has always been the perfect place far a state-of the art passing game. If we'd had one of those aerial circus offenses from the beginning, we'd be able to recruit talent form all over the country to play that style. We'd score tons of points and people would come out to see our team, not the other team. it wouldn't matter if we were playing Central Michigan or LSU. We'd be the show.

- I had no explanation of why the attendance problems would be worse now than in years or why more people would have shown up for the Rhode Island game, against a worse, non-league opponent on a nicer day with the State Fair still going. Every explanation I've ever heard for our attendance problems has been around for years. Why are things worse now? I'm also baffled by the difference between reported attendance and actual attendance. I know it's ticket sales vs. turnstile count. What I don't understand is why people would have bought tickets and then no used them.

- In the end, fans have to see themselves not just as consumers but investors. It's not enough to say that you will start to care again about SU football when they get good. Investing in the program, financially and emotionally will help them get good again.

This is a great post. I think there are two fundamental issues.

The first and most important is the grassroots issue you brought up. Read just about any study about sports and you'll see that the biggest predictor by far for adult interest in sports is whether or not you played as a child. Fewer kids in this area play football, thus fewer adults are interested in football. There is no quick fix for this problem. If I was running SU I'd give a certain number of free tickets out to kids every game and do things to make the game experience more kid friendly, and hope that in a generation things change. Until then we are always going to be behind the eight-ball.

The second is that Syracuse does not draw many fans from outside Syracuse. Part of this is just the fact that Syracuse is a private school, and people who don't live in Syracuse and did not go there have no connection or rooting interest. If I was running SU I'd take the money spent advertising in New York City and transfer it all to surrounding cities like Rochester, Birmingham, Utica, etc. Advertising dollars will go a lot farther in those cities and might actually bring people to the games. For the record, I don't think advertising in New York was a mistake. I imagine it helped get us into the ACC. I just think its done its job and thus should be stopped. This is also why I'd love to see a new stadium built in the Inner Harbor. Destiny does a phenomenal job bringing people from out of town in to shop - 60% of the dollars spent there come from out of town. Syracuse can use some of that appeal to its advantage. Schedule bus trips to destiny where the wives go shopping and the husbands watch football, something like that. Schedule free concerts at the new arena during tailgating to entice more people to buy tickets (just like The Fair does, it works!). I think they could draw a lot of people from out of town that they don't now, and once you go to a game or two you start becoming emotionally involved.

There are also two factors that can't be changed.

First, lets face it, part of this is just that football is better to watch on television than it is in person. Attendance numbers are down across the board for football games. My rule of thumb is, football is better on television. Basketball is 50/50. Baseball is better in person. If you look at attendance numbers for the pros and major colleges, football attendance is down, basketball attendance is steady, and baseball attendance is up. For TV, football viewing is up, basketball viewing is up in the pros (this is mostly to do with LeBron James) and down in college, and baseball viewing is down. It makes complete sense. People are buying into the better products.

Second, Syracuse is predicted to be terrible this year, and that is going to hurt attendance numbers.

I don't buy the economy playing a factor. Football tickets are dirt cheap. Plus the Syracuse economy is improving and ticket sales are lower than ever. Syracuse added 2,800 jobs in the past year, if the economy was really a driving force in ticket sales there would be slightly more people at games this year instead of slightly less.

Poor product for many years.

Boring O for many years

Big games held off campus ( note i was a fan of this as it was needed for exposure and revenue )

Economics of the area.

When we start to win again we will see a steady mid 30k in the dome with bigger crowds for big games.

If we could have 330 or later starts we would see an increase in attendance

Fielding a good team is the key

CNY stopped losing population a long time ago. There's more people living in Onondaga County now then their was in 1980. I don't get where people make up these numbers from.

Also, I'm an alum that lives in the area and i know lots of other people 25-35 that are professionals that have Bills season tickets, but not Syracuse season tickets. In fact, the Bills sold a record amount of season tickets this year for them.

People haven't shown up so far this year because we were 3-9 last year. I know we had back to back winning seasons in 12 and 13, but you can't follow up success with the basement, because people just think we are the same old Syracuse.

But "the same old Syracuse" was rarely in the basement, other than the G-Rob erz. Maybe younger fans assume that was the norm. It sure wasn't, even in the 70's when we alternated between bad and mediocre. We never had four seasons in a row like that. Actually, the Marrone Era was more "the same old Syracuse" than the G-Rob era.

Winning = BETTER Perception
BETTER perception = better recruiting
Better recruiting = more winning

All the rest is marketing and game day experience (AD Coyle)

There's a lot of hand-wringing over things we can't control (economy, population loss, etc). If Shafer does his job and Coyle does his - we'll be maxing out what's possible.

General20 said:
This is a great post. I think there are two fundamental issues. The first and most important is the grassroots issue you brought up. Read just about any study about sports and you'll see that the biggest predictor by far for adult interest in sports is whether or not you played as a child. Fewer kids in this area play football, thus fewer adults are interested in football. There is no quick fix for this problem. If I was running SU I'd give a certain number of free tickets out to kids every game and do things to make the game experience more kid friendly, and hope that in a generation things change. Until then we are always going to be behind the eight-ball. The second is that Syracuse does not draw many fans from outside Syracuse. Part of this is just the fact that Syracuse is a private school, and people who don't live in Syracuse and did not go there have no connection or rooting interest. If I was running SU I'd take the money spent advertising in New York City and transfer it all to surrounding cities like Rochester, Birmingham, Utica, etc. Advertising dollars will go a lot farther in those cities and might actually bring people to the games. For the record, I don't think advertising in New York was a mistake. I imagine it helped get us into the ACC. I just think its done its job and thus should be stopped. This is also why I'd love to see a new stadium built in the Inner Harbor. Destiny does a phenomenal job bringing people from out of town in to shop - 60% of the dollars spent there come from out of town. Syracuse can use some of that appeal to its advantage. Schedule bus trips to destiny where the wives go shopping and the husbands watch football, something like that. Schedule free concerts at the new arena during tailgating to entice more people to buy tickets (just like The Fair does, it works!). I think they could draw a lot of people from out of town that they don't now, and once you go to a game or two you start becoming emotionally involved. There are also two factors that can't be changed. First, lets face it, part of this is just that football is better to watch on television than it is in person. Attendance numbers are down across the board for football games. My rule of thumb is, football is better on television. Basketball is 50/50. Baseball is better in person. If you look at attendance numbers for the pros and major colleges, football attendance is down, basketball attendance is steady, and baseball attendance is up. For TV, football viewing is up, basketball viewing is up in the pros (this is mostly to do with LeBron James) and down in college, and baseball viewing is down. It makes complete sense. People are buying into the better products. Second, Syracuse is predicted to be terrible this year, and that is going to hurt attendance numbers. I don't buy the economy playing a factor. Football tickets are dirt cheap. Plus the Syracuse economy is improving and ticket sales are lower than ever. Syracuse added 2,800 jobs in the past year, if the economy was really a driving force in ticket sales there would be slightly more people at games this year instead of slightly less.

Tickets being dirt cheap is a misconception. If you're someone that doesn't want to sit in the end zones an individual ticket can range from $80-$140. Go to the ticket site for any of the remaining games. Even if we sold every single cheap seat the place would look empty. And all those empty sideline seats are what gets on TV.

Alumni staying the area would have people with an attachment to the school.
While your in college going to games isn't always doable. Noon games are crazy for students. I am a diehard and missed a couple of games because I had a social life.

I was out till 4 or 5 and up at 8 or 9 for noon games. suck it up.

Tickets being dirt cheap is a misconception. If you're someone that doesn't want to sit in the end zones an individual ticket can range from $80-$140. Go to the ticket site for any of the remaining games. Even if we sold every single cheap seat the place would look empty. And all those empty sideline seats are what gets on TV.
what problem are they trying to solve? maximize $ or maximize attendance? i think they should maximize attendance given some minimum $ constraint. imagine there is some money bags who is willing to pay a billion dollars for his 50 yard line seat but doesn't want anyone sitting around him who paid dirt cheap prices. stupid example but they maximize revenue by having 1 guy in a section.

determine how much $ money you can live with bringing in, then maximize attendance with that constraint. once you fill up the dome, keep bumping up that constraint and redo the optimization

I agree with this. The experience during the game is one of the worst that I can remember, and I have been going since the Done was built. The music is good awful and deafening . Use the replay board for replays and out of town scores , show out if town replays of teams we will be playing!

Also, need to win. Bottom line

I'd foolishly hoped that this might improve with some new people in charge this season.

No luck. The band plays less than ever, the DJ's music (for the benefit of the 500 students who stick around after halftime) is overpowering, and they run those asinine tweets way more often than any in-game stats.

The football and the social aspect are the two best parts of the Dome experience. SU ruins everything else.

It's far from the only part of the problem, but it's not helping.

OttoMets said:
I'd foolishly hoped that this might improve with some new people in charge this season. No luck. The band plays less than ever, the DJ's music (for the benefit of the 500 students who stick around after halftime) is overpowering, and they run those asinine tweets way more often than any in-game stats. The football and the social aspect are the two best parts of the Dome experience. SU ruins everything else. It's far from the only part of the problem, but it's not helping.

Give it time. Coyle hadn't seen a football game at the dome until two weeks ago.

I'd foolishly hoped that this might improve with some new people in charge this season.

No luck. The band plays less than ever, the DJ's music (for the benefit of the 500 students who stick around after halftime) is overpowering, and they run those asinine tweets way more often than any in-game stats.

The football and the social aspect are the two best parts of the Dome experience. SU ruins everything else.

i think it's time to prank that tweet stuff. i can't imagine they get that many tweets where they can be picky

Ahh, it takes a year for change to take effect. In my opinion we won't see any of coyles ideas until next year. He started in July and that's to short of a time frame to make drastic changes, all this is still gross' ideas and plan.

I think, quite simply, it's hard to compete against someone's living room.

It definitely is, no doubt, especially when sitting in the larger venues and NFL games, etc. As someone who was there on Saturday though, I can reconfirm the Dome is a great place to watch a game and trumps what the TV can show. That reverse Avant pass and what could have been, for example, and all of Dungey's moxie and smarts, and Steven Clark running on and off the field like a truck at full speed and Shy Cullen, unlike some others, joining the defensive huddles on the field even though he's probably going to red-shirt, and how the team is organized throughout the game. It's things like that and I'm forgetting a million other tidbits I picked up on which do not show up on the TV. But the average fan doesn't care about that stuff. When I was a student in the late 90s, the University did a better job of outreach all around town as far as the local businesses, advertising, posters, etc, etc. I dunno if it was a matter of a hangover of Coach Mac with Coach P running the show and Jake in charge or what, but seems like Gross got away from that and Coyle is wanting to get back into it. I hope so.

That's a good point. But the fact that they don't sell all the cheap seats (with as cheap as they are) is still crazy, those seats should be full.

I see a lot of people saying "just win more" and that's lazy thinking to me. Obviously Syracuse is trying to do everything it can to win, but so is every other school, and winning is not that easy.

Obviously there will be more people at the Dome when you are winning than when you are not, but there can be 10k more at every game. The lousy team's attendance can go from 30k to 40k and the good team's attendance can go from 40k to 50k. They key is bringing people in from out of town. Everybody in Syracuse knows about SU sports. The people who are going to care are already there. The untapped market are people who live within and hour or two hours drive from the Dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom