Just saw this (OC)...Maybe more speculation but who knows. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Just saw this (OC)...Maybe more speculation but who knows.

BIG TIME and I mean BIG TIME recruiter... Nice. Hopefully he can call plays too

you sound like you know him. or are you reading the same stuff we are in this thread?

Written by Pete Roussel
Posted by: Pete Roussel on Tuesday January 15, 2013
** Frequent visitors to our site via smartphone need to his the REFRESH icon to see our most recent postiings.
2012 - 2013 College Coaching Changes
2012 - 2013 NFL Coaching Changes
Syracuse: Look for Scott Shafer to announce George McDonald as offensive coordinator / wide receivers coach, and Tim Lester as quarterbacks coach.
Arkansas: Wide receivers coach George McDonald has resigned to accept an offensive coordinator job, according to the Arkansas-Democrat Gazette. I have not confirmed which college, but McDonald does have ties to Scott Shafer at Syracuse. We just added McDonald to this list of coaches that have accepted 2 different jobs this off-season.

There is a lot to like about George McDonald. I think it was a solid hire. The next question is who is going to coach the WRs? Does McDonald get the RBs and Moore stay with the WRs? That would make sense to me.

Hate to bring this up, but the fact that he is African-American does not hurt.
Diversity is very important in college athletics, especially if we lose henderson/wheatley

Hate to bring this up, but the fact that he is African-American does not hurt.
Not gonna lie, I was thinking the same thing. Having a young black coordinator can only help with some of our recruits, I would think.

Helped recruit the #17 class to Minnesota is wildly impressive. That's like selling to cows.

Love. This. Hire.

He should be able to seal up and upgrade this class offensively.

Diversity is very important in college athletics, especially if we lose henderson/wheatley

Agree, it may not be the most PC thing to say but a black recruit might feel better connecting with an OC who is also African American who he feels may understand him better..

I wonder if McDonald has connections with any OT prospects he can help us swipe?

my only concern, in 12 years now he has been in 9 places. hope he stays here for more than 1-2 years.

Nice job Shafe...very nice job. You have to love a coach that can take a punch and hit even harder right back.

Not sure I like the promotion of a WR coach to OC. I know he was an OC at WMU, but that's not enough experience to give me excitement that Shafer was alluding to in his PC.
More experience than Hackett had. He is considered one of the top recruiters in college football. I certainly think it is a WOW hire.

How was he as an OC?
Well, here are the numbers:

05 - WMU was 7-4, averaged 32.2 points, 145 rushing yards, 246 passing yards, 392 total yards per game
06 - WMU was 8-5, averaged 23.0 points, 134 rushing yards, 184 passing yards, 319 total yards per game

GREAT way to start my day. I love this hire! I'm relived we finally have some good news, being a SU fan has been a headache latly.

Well, here are the numbers:

05 - WMU was 7-4, averaged 32.2 points, 145 rushing yards, 246 passing yards, 392 total yards per game
06 - WMU was 8-5, averaged 23.0 points, 134 rushing yards, 184 passing yards, 319 total yards per game

Not bad definitely more talent st Syracuse as well.

Let's get this confirmed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

my only concern, in 12 years now he has been in 9 places. hope he stays here for more than 1-2 years.
Sounds like we might have an OC in training (Lester).

Shafer is putting together a really nice staff. My guess is McDonald coaches the TEs as well. Moore stays with WRs. Still need an OL coach, id Adkins is gone that is. I'm really liking the staff. Get your seat belts on for the ride that is about to ensue over the next month. Time for these stud recruiters to get to work!

First I was like

loltiger.gif

Then I saw we took him from Arkansas and I was like

elf_joy.gif

Then I saw how great of a recruiter he was and I was like

rahr_yes.gif

Here is a more detailed bio, from the Miami Hurricanes website:

George McDonald enters his second season as the Hurricanes' wide receivers coach. McDonald tutored junior Tommy Streeter to a break-out season in his first year in Coral Gables. Streeter finished the 2011 campaign with 46 receptions and 811 yards. His yardage total was good for fifth-best in the ACC. The 6-5 speedster's 17.6 average yards per catch led conference receivers with at least 40 receptions.

The cerebral 36-year old helped guide senior Travis Benjamin's climb up the UM all-time records book in receiving yards and receptions. Benjamin is the sixth all-time leader with 2,146 career receiving yards and sixth all-time receptions leader with 131 career catches.

McDonald has groomed 10 wide receivers who are have developed into NFL players, including Greg Jennings of the Green Bay Packers. In addition, he tutored Braylon Edwards, Josh Cribbs, Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi of the Cleveland Browns during his time in the NFL.
McDonald spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons as the Cleveland Browns' wide receivers coach. He first joined the
Cleveland staff as offensive quality control coach on February 11, 2009 and was quickly promoted to wide receivers coach on May 6, 2009. He previously spent nine seasons as an assistant on the collegiate level, including two seasons as the wide receivers coach at the University of Minnesota.

In 2008, McDonald played an integral role in helping junior wide receiver Eric Decker to his most productive season as a Gopher, as he set a school record with 84 receptions, eclipsed the 1,000-yard receiving mark (1,074) and earned a first-team All-Big Ten honors.

Before arriving at Minnesota, McDonald spent the 2005-06 seasons at Western Michigan, where he worked with current Green Bay Packer Jennings. In McDonald's first season with the Broncos, Jennings was named 2005 MAC Offensive Player of the Year, MAC co-MVP (Vern Smith Award) and was a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist after setting program records for career receptions, receiving touchdowns and all-purpose yards.

Prior to his stint at Western Michigan, McDonald served as tight ends coach at Stanford (2004) where he tutored tight end Alex Smith, who was a finalist for the Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end that year and went on to be drafted by Tampa Bay in the third round of the 2005 Draft. McDonald was the wide receivers coach at Northern Illinois from 2001-2003 where during that time, the Huskies rose to No. 12 in the BCS rankings. In his first season at NIU, one of his receivers, Darrell Hill, was named Second-Team All-MAC and was selected in the seventh round of the NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans.

McDonald has also gained valuable NFL experience from minority internships during training camps with the New York Jets (2004, 2006), Chicago (2005) and Tampa Bay (2007).

The Buena Park, Calif. native began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Ball State University in 2000 after lettering four seasons as a receiver at Illinois (1995-98), where he finished with 59 career receptions and 589 yards.
As a kickoff returner, McDonald produced 1,276 yards on 57 returns in four games. A two-sport athlete, McDonald also ran track as a freshman and senior, earning All-Big Ten honors during his senior campaign with a school-record 6.74 mark in the 60 meters to claim the conference title.

MCDONALD AT A GLANCE
Personal Info
Full Name George McDonald
Age 36
Hometown Buena Park, Calif.
Education Health Planning and Administration, University of Illinois (1999)
McDonald's Coaching Career
2012 Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers, University of Miami
2011-12 Wide Receivers, University of Miami
2009-10 Wide Receivers, Cleveland Browns
2007-08 Wide Receivers, University of Minnesota
2005-06 Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers, Western Michigan University
2004 Tight Ends/Wide Receivers, Stanford University
2001-03 Wide Receivers, Northern Illinois University
2001 (Spring) Wide Receivers, Bucknell University
2000 Graduate Assistant, Ball State
Bowl Games as a Coach
2008 Insight Bowl
2007 International Bowl
Honors as a Player

Four-year letterwinner as a receiver at Illinois (1995-98)
Earned All-Big Ten honors in track & field and set a school-record time of 6.74 in the 60-meter dash
Coaching Accomplishments
Tutored Stanford tight end Alex Smith,who was a finalist for the Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end
Current Green Bay Packers receiver Greg Jennings was named 2005 MAC Offensive Player of the Year, MAC co-MVP (Vern Smith Award) and was a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist under McDonald's tutelage
Prominent Players Coached
Greg Jennings Green Bay Packers
Eric Decker Denver Broncos
Alex Smith (tight end) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
PJ Fleck San Francisco 49ers
Danny Sheridan Indianapolis Colts
Mike Turner San Diego Chargers
Darrell Hill Tennessee Titans
Tony Scheffler Denver Broncos
Ernie Wheelwright Baltimore Ravens
Braylon Edwards Cleveland Browns