Just saw this (OC)...Maybe more speculation but who knows. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Just saw this (OC)...Maybe more speculation but who knows.

my only concern, in 12 years now he has been in 9 places. hope he stays here for more than 1-2 years.

Young guy climbing the ladder? Look at Major Applewhite.

1+1??

While at Miami he had a great recruiting haul from Florida. One kid that Miami got while he was there was a 4 star from STA that flipped from OSU to Miami. If he has ties to STA, could this be why we are also now involved with O'Korn?

Riv*** has Arkansas as an offer. Seems logical there may be a connection with O'Korn.

If Rob Moore is indeed staying then maybe McDonald gets the Tight Ends. Our TE's are not traditional blocking TE's anymore, bigger WR's in our offense.

My only concern is: the guy was an offensive coordinator for two seasons - 2005 and 2006...and then for seven long years no one wanted to hire him as an OC? Was he that bad at WMU?

If you don't like the hire, who was available to be an OC that would have been better? Just wondering, don't take this as an attack.

Me

Nothing but trick plays. Every play trickier than the last.

Young guy climbing the ladder? Look at Major Applewhite.

nah. applewhite has been to 4 schools, not 9, in the same amount of time.

If you don't like the hire, who was available to be an OC that would have been better? Just wondering, don't take this as an attack.

I obviously don't know everyone who was available, but off the top of my head -don't know if they were too late for Bill Cubit, but would have been happy with him. Liked Brian Rock's recent experience as an OC. Really liked the OL coach from San Francisco (Tim Drevno)who was an OC under Harbaugh for 4 years and might have been a better fit (OL) since Moore is here and Adkins is probably leaving.

Don't get me wrong-excited for Mcdonald's recruiting ability, just concerned about his ability as an OC and that he'd leave at the drop of a hat if a bigger name school calls. Hope I'm wrong.

Reading the report I am sorry but I want him to work with the WR's

One thing is for sure. If he is a great recruiter, he will have an easier time molding the offense with better talent. I'll take great talent over a great coordinator any day. You need studs in the stable. Marrone didn't just suddenly become a better coach. He obtained more talent and depth and therefore had more success.

He has made lateral moves. Being named OC at Syracuse is a huge move up the coaching ladder for him. I would imagine we will keep him around for a minimum of three years. If true great hire

One thing is for sure. If he is a great recruiter, he will have an easier time molding the offense with better talent. I'll take great talent over a great coordinator any day. You need studs in the stable. Marrone didn't just suddenly become a better coach. He obtained more talent and depth and therefore had more success.

Yeah, Marrone wasn't a good coach. He had 4 and 5 star guys. Coaching makes the whole difference, especially when it comes to offense. Much more complicated to run offense than defense.

Hopefully he's in TX right now hog-tying Zach Allen and tossing him in the trunk and driving north...

I like to see him called "cerebral" ... I think thats Shafer's type.

The Dome's turf has been waiting for someone to properly utilize it.

Yeah, Marrone wasn't a good coach. He had 4 and 5 star guys. Coaching makes the whole difference, especially when it comes to offense. Much more complicated to run offense than defense.

Coaching makes the difference when all else is equal. But you first need talent. Good coaching can only help a crap team so much. At the end of the day you need both. But at the college level, and especially at SU right now, a great recruiter is so important.

I respectfully disagree-I don't think Marrone got much better talent. I think he was a much better coach than Robinson (not that that's saying much). Robinson had some talent, but he was a mess

My only concern is: the guy was an offensive coordinator for two seasons - 2005 and 2006...and then for seven long years no one wanted to hire him as an OC? Was he that bad at WMU?

Bingo.

I think it's as good a hire as we can expect right now.

Hopefully since he has been a position coach the last few years he can come in with a fresh mind and use our scheme and playbook from last year.

Hopefully since he has a lot of experience with wide receivers he uses the pass to set up the run like we did last year.

Hopefully he is excited to call an offense to take advantage of the Dome.

Hopefully since he is coming from the south/SEC he has some recruits in his pocket he can convince to turn orange.

If the guy leaves in a few years it probably means he did a good job while he was here. Since he is not an alum I won't feel as bad if he uses us as a stepping stone.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive things. The talent got better, but Marrone also did become a better coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I respectfully disagree-I don't think Marrone got much better talent. I think he was a much better coach than Robinson (not that that's saying much). Robinson had some talent, but he was a mess

You are reading what I said wrong. I think Marrone was a great coach. But that didn't equate to success in year one. He needed to pull in better talent to get the results. Marrone told me directly after he was hired that GRob had his recruiting board built and it only consisted of about 15 kids, 13 of which we had no shot at. Marrone had a board built very quickly and it went out 2-3 years. He led me to believe it was recruiting where we fell down.

The real question everyone should be asking: Does he meet the hard-nosed criteria?

If the Head Hard-Noser hired him, I would think the answer would be...Yes.

youtube search: george mcdonald coach

lots of videos with good insight.

More experience than Hackett had. He is considered one of the top recruiters in college football. I certainly think it is a WOW hire.

Okay, thanks for the info.

I don't think those are mutually exclusive things. The talent got better, but Marrone also did become a better coach.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Also, Marrone got faster guys and/or forced guys to work harder to get faster/more agile (i.e. line guys shedding weight and focusing strength and conditioning... Look what he did with Tiller...)

Contrast would be the infamous "jelly-roll" lineman sideline photo from the Gerg era...