Just want to give | Syracusefan.com

Just want to give

Fjoinkay

Starter
a shout out to the SU student athletes. The results aren't there right now and without question that creates a lot of pressure and disappointment, and I just hope that they can continue to work through it and continue to work on their craft individually and as a team. Yesterday SU faced a Louisville defense that has been a turnover generating machine this season, and SU turned the ball over. I thought the defense actually looked a little better overall, but Louisville made the plays. The game seemed to turn on the 4th and 2 situation late in the 2nd quarter when Louisville hit a tight end in the vacant spot created by the SU corner blitz, and the Cards picked up 32 yards. Great call by Louisville there. And then several times Louisville receivers made plays often times against pretty good and improved SU coverage. Going forward I just hope the student athletes can stay united and continue to learn and process. If there was ever a time to focus mostly on what you can control now is the time.

SU football has been down for the better part of two decades. Every season on this board we see numerous threads about attendance, and I think the main reason is that most people on this board have an emotional bond to those dome days during the late 80s and most of the 90s. I know I do. At some point during the 2000s my personal opinion on attendance shifted from disappointment and a little embarrassment to a sense of wonder and respect for the people who actually do show up for each game. I don't live in CNY, so maybe that filtered my perception somewhat. I just look at how SU is a private school where most families in the immediate area have no alumni and very little emotional connection to the university other than being entertained. My opinion has been that winning is the answer at SU and really the only answer for attendance. I have tremendous respect for the people on this board and elsewhere who go to the games. You people fork out the real money and time for the program, and if anyone ought to feel like they deserve winning seasons and bowl games it is you people who consistently go to the games. I used to feel like SU should have this or SU should have that, but I shed that sense of entitlement back around 2005. I joined this board during 2006 or 2007 during its previous iteration, and at that point I had already decided that I wasn't going to criticize coaches and players online. I've done my best to stick to that, and for now I'm going to stay with it. That's my personal stance, and I'm not advocating it for anyone else.

In addition to having family in CNY I have had family in the Clemson area my entire life. Dabo deserves a ton of credit for the recent success at Clemson. The Tigers have had a lot of talented football teams over the years, and they have come up short of expectations so many times that the term Clemsoning nearly became a household item. Dabo changed it. That isn't easy to do even at Clemson. Anyway, as for this SU team, back during fall camp I thought they would likely win 5 and have a good chance to maybe get 6 or 7. That was with T-Hunt. If you had told me that he would go down in the first quarter against Rhody, I wouldn't have believed you. If you had told me that the walk-on Mahoney, whose tape I really liked, would end up starting against the LSU tigers and then again (most likely at this point) against the number-one ranked Clemson tigers, I wouldn't have believed you. SU has been playing freshman QBs, or a walk-on QB in Mahoney's case, now for the better part of two consecutive football seasons due to injury. Look at BC this season. Dungey is talented and shows a lot of promise. Right now his health is unfortunately in question, and as always health is the number one priority. I do not blame the coaches for his injury yesterday. My point about the QB situation isn't to make excuses. Just some context, but only just some. I also know that Coyle has a lot more information to use in making his decision than I have or that just about anyone outside of the program has. I trust Coyle to make an informed decision whichever direction he decides to go, and I fully support him because his position right now is not easy. On the bright side, even though SU has been down for so long I really do believe SU will win again. It might not even be that far off. If Mac could do it, it can happen again and it will. Go Cuse!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom