Ken Niumatalolo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ken Niumatalolo

I understand those are the arguments for the triple and again, I don't want to sound overly negative, but the Oregon Zone Read from the spread formation (how's that Finwad32) gives you those things and more.

I have to disagree that Navy has the same as a spread just run from a tighter formation. Just like GT their base formation is a double wing with a full back (Navy B back). (Lester used the same formation for much of the year, we just called the positions something different.) They rely on the same basic plays as any other TO team: line plunge, QB keeper or toss to motioning A back. They are one dimentional. Navy is 127 of 128 in pass attempts per game at 8+.

The other thing that happens is fumbles. All that ball handling and sooner or later the ball winds up on the ground. Navy is a top 25 in fumbles per game most years.

The better DCs in the ACC have figured out how to stop GT. Running the triple is no surprise in the ACC. Same thing will happen in the AAC.

Keenan Reynolds is an exceptional triple option QB. Even with him Navy is probably a 8-4 or 7-5 team with our schedule.

Oregon's zone read can be successful with our talent, certainly bowl successful. Like anyone else, give us a good QB and we can be better than the 2012 team.

There is simply more upside to other offenses. Of course, if we are willing to be average or a bit above some years, then the triple will probably achieve that. What is the Latin for "average is great'?
Any body that coaches football will tell you that all the spread stuff was done years ago. It's just presented in a different way. No one is doing anything that people haven't seen before I can tell you that. Zone read is option read. Spread just allows athletes to play in space. We don't have superior athletes compared to most of the teams we play In the ACC. Again we've had good recruiting classes compared to the Marrone years but we are still 2nd to last in ACC rankings. We are not out athleting anyone.

Last edited:
Any body that coaches football will tell you that all the spread stuff was done years ago. It's just presented in a different way. No one is doing anything that people haven't seen before I can tell you that. Zone read is option read.

Then why is it the most common formation? True, coaches run different systems from a base spread formation, but the basic idea of lineman splits and multiple WR sets spread out very wide are still very much with us. Most plays have some option component if only choosing the hole to hit. However, zone read and option are run from entirely different formations with different choices. Blocking schemes are different as well.

Like all systems execution and play calling determine success.

Then why is it the most common formation? True, coaches run different systems from a base spread formation, but the basic idea of lineman splits and multiple WR sets spread out very wide are still very much with us. Most plays have some option component if only choosing the hole to hit. However, zone read and option are run from entirely different formations with different choices. Blocking schemes are different as well.

Like all systems execution and play calling determine success.
Yes your right. I said triple option has tight formations meaning tight splits and receivers tight. I also said they cut block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom