Kick or Receive vs. Maryland | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Kick or Receive vs. Maryland

I used to say receive no matter what. More possessions right? What I've learned in this past year is almost all statistics point to deferring. It might only increase your odds a couple percentage points, but, over a long period of time those couple percentage points play out more and more.

The main crux of the argument is meaningful possessions. The first possession of the game is much more likely to end in a 3-out or mistake than the first possession of the 2nd half when players have calmed down and adjustments have been made.

Again, I was always a receive first and cram it down their throat type guy, but, my theory has changed as of late bc I'm all about the wins baby.

This makes me think back to NFL offenses 20 years ago (when I watched NFL, could be the same today.). Back then the good offenses would almost always choose to receive. The first drive always seemed well scripted and typically resulted in points. Adjustments would come afterwards. Don't know if that is because defenses would go vanilla on the first drive to see what an offense could do or whether any of this is correct. Just my recollection.

We will receive. We will receive.
They will kickoff. They will kickoff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom