King Rice (coach of Monmouth) suspended for Saturday night's game. | Syracusefan.com

King Rice (coach of Monmouth) suspended for Saturday night's game.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I'm surprised no one commented on this yet and if you do, I apologize if I missed it. For you youngsters, King Rice was once a pretty big turd up this way. Here is a list of former Mr. Basketball's in New York. Some of the names are very familiar. In fact, I am very surprised that I did not know that Brandon Triche was a co-winner. I am sure King Rice is very upset that he can't bring his team into the Carrier Dome. I would think that would be pretty important for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._New_York_Basketball

Why is he suspended?

I remember King Rice quite well from his college recruiting days into his college playing career. Back in the day I was pulling for him to commit to SU. Was he in Autry's class?

I remember King Rice quite well from his college recruiting days into his college playing career. Back in the day I was pulling for him to commit to SU. Was he in Autry's class?
Three years older than Red. He would have sat behind Sherm for two seasons had he come to the Cuse but we should as hell could have used him in 1989-1990 when Michael Edwards manned the point.

i remember king rice visited basketball camp when i was a kid (golden valley). at basketball camp, they often do a "star versus some camp kid" 1v1 for fun. well the "camp kid" almost beat king rice and he acted like a major dick about it. i contrast that to when cuse player dave johnson was the guest at a subsequent year, he had fun with the 1v1 and only shot jumpers. total difference. if i remember right "king" rice stunk at UNC.

Not autry's class. Rice was 87, Autry 90.

I just saw this; didn't realize he's the head coach at Monmouth.
I'm still pissed that King Rice dissed SU and went to UNC. And it's been 25 years.

he single handily beat Auburn in the sectionals in '86 when the Mighty Maroons were 19-5 and deep. Had they not run into him they most surely would have met Greg Koubrek in the finals.

I remember watching King Rice's vaunted Binghamton team lose at LeMoyne College to the Nottingham team featuring Jason Buchanan (SJU), Dorsey Levens (ND, Green Bay) and an 8th grader named Craig Caldwell. I was not impressed by that team at all. My friends and I went to see this super hyped team with a Mickey D AA only to watch them get manhandled by Levens.

King Rice never played in the Carrier Dome, now he won't coach there either. The circle is complete.

he single handily beat Auburn in the sectionals in '86 when the Mighty Maroons were 19-5 and deep. Had they not run into him they most surely would have met Greg Koubrek in the finals.
1986 was a great year for upstate hoops (see below state brackets) Bishop Ludden beat Binghamton and King Rice and then beat Nichols and Christian Laettner. Ludden then lost in the finals to Shenendahowa and Greg Koubek and Brendan O'Sullivan (Dartmouth). Never has upstate NY had two kids go to Duke and one to UNC during the same year.
http://www.nysbasketballbrackets.com/

Interview with Greg Koubek and Brendan O'Sullivan
http://blog.timesunion.com/medved/h...n-and-greg-koubek-relive-the-glory-days/1889/

1986 was a great year for upstate hoops (see below state brackets) Bishop Ludden beat Binghamton and King Rice and then beat Nichols and Christian Laettner. Ludden then lost in the finals to Shenendahowa and Greg Koubek and Brendan O'Sullivan (Dartmouth). Never has upstate NY had two kids go to Duke and one to UNC during the same year.
http://www.nysbasketballbrackets.com/

Interview with Greg Koubek and Brendan O'Sullivan
http://blog.timesunion.com/medved/h...n-and-greg-koubek-relive-the-glory-days/1889/

Was Randy Jones (younger brother of Grace Jones) on that Ludden team? Who else did they have?

Was Randy Jones (younger brother of Grace Jones) on that Ludden team? Who else did they have?
Len Rauch who was the all-time leading scorer and rebounder at LeMoyne.

i remember king rice visited basketball camp when i was a kid (golden valley). at basketball camp, they often do a "star versus some camp kid" 1v1 for fun. well the "camp kid" almost beat king rice and he acted like a major dick about it. i contrast that to when cuse player dave johnson was the guest at a subsequent year, he had fun with the 1v1 and only shot jumpers. total difference. if i remember right "king" rice stunk at UNC.

He didn't stink, but was not the dominating player he was expected to be coming out of high school. He was the starting PG on the UNC team that made it to the FF (admittedly on a team with about 8 burger boys). But - I was a kid in Binghamton when he was in high school, and can verify that he didn't just act like a major dick when some random camp kid nearly beat him in 1v1; one of the most disappointing basketball memories I have is watching him running around on the court celebrating when UNC made the 1991 FF, since without it his entire career would be remembered as a failure by UNC fans. That FF seems to keep him out of the 'bust' category.

He didn't stink, but was not the dominating player he was expected to be coming out of high school. He was the starting PG on the UNC team that made it to the FF (admittedly on a team with about 8 burger boys). But - I was a kid in Binghamton when he was in high school, and can verify that he didn't just act like a major dick when some random camp kid nearly beat him in 1v1; one of the most disappointing basketball memories I have is watching him running around on the court celebrating when UNC made the 1991 FF, since without it his entire career would be remembered as a failure by UNC fans. That FF seems to keep him out of the 'bust' category.
yeah i remember that now. i still stay tool.

Wow the memories...

I also went to Golden Valley basketball camp. Our guest star was Willie Glass from St Johns and he was great.

When I was a Jr we scrimmaged that Nottingham team and they destroyed us...Levens was the first guy to ever dunk on me.

First game of the season played in a tourney at Burnt Hills and Shenendowa hammered us.

Lost badly in the first round of sectionals to that Ludden team.

Highlight of the season was the bus ride to Burnt Hills - shared it with Auburn (they also played in the tourney) and won over $200 off those guys playing Acey Ducey in the back.

Next year my Soph brother played on varsity with me and Gedney was first one to dunk on him in a game vs Liverpool...

Wow the memories...

I also went to Golden Valley basketball camp. Our guest star was Willie Glass from St Johns and he was great.

When I was a Jr we scrimmaged that Nottingham team and they destroyed us...Levens was the first guy to ever dunk on me.

First game of the season played in a tourney at Burnt Hills and Shenendowa hammered us.

Highlight of the season was the bus ride to Burnt Hills - shared it with Auburn (they also played in the tourney) and won over $200 off those guys playing Acey Ducey in the back.

Next year my Soph brother played on varsity with me and Gedney was first one to dunk on him in a game vs Liverpool...

Sounds like you had quite the HS BBall career. Better watch out for BRNIEFVRCUSE, as he may want to challenge you for King of the Hill. He has dunked on just about everyone in CNY at the Y. ;)

Wow the memories...

Tony Borges and Avery Lamb ... maybe Chazz Baker - loaded with size and talent on that squad. Damn King Rice

Tony and avery were after king rice. Class of 93 and 91 respectively.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Duke Humphrey was manning the point for auburn in the king rice era.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

We really need to get Marsh's opinion on this.