Kyle Cuffe Transferring to Syracuse (5/18/23) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Kyle Cuffe Transferring to Syracuse (5/18/23)

His 247 scouting report from high school: "A tad undersized as a scoring or shooting guard but is an extremely explosive athlete. Makes myriad plays defensively and is a major threat finishing at the rim in transition. Excels in a fast open game much more than in a slower constricted game. Loves to get the the rim as a slasher. Finishes with either hand against contact. Needs to develop his pull up game. Does have a quick release on the catch and shoot from deep and shows some potential as a shooter. A playmaker primarily for himself. Has room to improve as a distributor. Is a strong rebounder for his position. Can be a terror on the defensive end with his explosive athleticism."
Yeah they worded it 10x better than me (I totally didn’t just rip the bong and had just gotten done milking a head of goats right before the news and my mini write up) lol

I like the move by Red to bring him in, but the lack of interest from high-majors gives me some pause. He hasn’t played meaningful minutes at any level in more than 2 years. But if he’s recovered from his knee injury and we don’t get to a spot where we need to rely heavily on him it could reap big rewards.

We are going to Baylor/Houston this thing
It is going to be nice to start playing the old Cuse teams.
we are not going to let the Colgates of the world dictate tempo any more.

Press….athletes…speed you up to an uncomfortable level….and rim protectors at the back end.
cant wait. Lets get back to Johhny F type of ball . Tired of getting bullied.

The 2023-2024 roster seems like the anti-2022-2023 roster. It's like Red is trying to do everything opposite from JB in terms of his increased emphasis in numbers and athleticism and decreased emphasis in pure shooting.

You can teach athletes to shoot.

Hard to teach shooters to athlete.

See: Buddy, Joe, et al.

Get Judah back and watch out. Autry is not messing around when it comes to upgrading the talent, athleticism and size of the roster. This team is going to be fun to watch, get Judah back and my lordddddd this team will be good. Get Judah back and you have a top 15 team with top 10 and final 4 potential. Damn it feels nice to have Syracuse basketball back again. If Judah comes back, you literally could not ask anything more from Red this off-season. He’s crushed it. Let’s hope his on court coaching is as good as his recruiting

Not familiar with him. Any good?

I mean, he ended up at Kansas. That speaks volumes about the type of prospect he was considered to be coming out of HS.

BUT... he's not a lead guard, and he's coming off an injury, and he didn't play there [reclassified to go to Kansas early and redshirted, then got hurt last year] so we don't have much to go on in terms of collegiate film. Also remains to be seen whether he's a capable shooter versus being more of a slasher at this stage [again, not much to go on there collegiately].

But he brings depth, scoring ability, and creativity off the bounce. On paper, he's a very nice add -- but it will be interesting to see how ready he is coming off of a bad knee injury.

More than anything, this indicates to me that we're going to use a LOT of three guard lineups.

That workout has to be prior to his injury, right?
I don't think so... He looks a lot bigger in this video than in his high school highlights. Clearly did some lifting in his two years off. I was hoping it would show he hasn't lost his bounce, but no way to tell from that "workout." He doesn't have any major flaws in his shooting stroke, at least.

With Westry, Carey, Patterson and now Cuffe, we have a full four player freshman class. In eligibility, that is.

I mean, he ended up at Kansas. That speaks volumes about the type of prospect he was considered to be coming out of HS.

BUT... he's not a lead guard, and he's coming off an injury, and he didn't play there [reclassified to go to Kansas early and redshirted, then got hurt last year] so we don't have much to go on in terms of collegiate film. Also remains to be seen whether he's a capable shooter versus being more of a slasher at this stage [again, not much to go on there collegiately].

But he brings depth, scoring ability, and creativity off the bounce. On paper, he's a very nice add -- but it will be interesting to see how ready he is coming off of a bad knee injury.

More than anything, this indicates to me that we're going to use a LOT of three guard lineups.

Red's ideal lineup seems to be pointing to a shotblocking center, a versatile forward and three guards.

The transfers and high school recruits point to this preference.

Westry, Taylor and Copeland all are big guards that can play the 3 in a small lineup.

Moore seems a traditional shooting guard, but Freeman seems a perfect fit to be the forward in a three guard lineup. Now Cuffe as a depth player with high upside...

we are not going to let the Colgates of the world dictate tempo any more.

Press….athletes…speed you up to an uncomfortable level….and rim protectors at the back end.
Play the way Sherm, Rony, DC, and Stevie, Billy, and Dave Johnson played.
In your face defense, and run the floor.
As long as someone can rebound they will be exciting to watch again.

I like the move by Red to bring him in, but the lack of interest from high-majors gives me some pause. He hasn’t played meaningful minutes at any level in more than 2 years. But if he’s recovered from his knee injury and we don’t get to a spot where we need to rely heavily on him it could reap big rewards.
I like the pickup and that video on the first page with the bounce made me excited, but the Kansas thread gave me some pause. They thought he would head to a mid major. Either way, I like it. If he's not ready for big minutes I'd rather stash a freak athlete on the bench than a legacy recruit or a guy who gets stuffed by the rim. I suspect he's high upside and might surprise Kansas fans.

Kansas guard Kyle Cuffe Jr. enters NCAA Transfer Portal

Guard U. I’m so excited for this brand of basketball. He has a clear cut vision and identity of what Cuse bball is going to be. This is why I was so excited for Red to take over bc of the radical shift with how this team will play.
And the other thing, look at how all these kids say “connection with Red”, the kids love the HEAD COACH and hear from the HEAD COACH. Red knows how good this opportunity is and he is putting some serious players together. I love it

"I'm going to bring that fast pace, I'm going to bring that athleticism," Cuffe said. "I'm going to bring a nice bright smile to the community. But you're also going to get a dog on the court, somebody who isn't going to back down. You're going to get somebody with a chip on his shoulder who wants to prove that he belongs. I'm just ready to start my journey at Syracuse."

Anyone else aroused?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom