Late Spring Game Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Late Spring Game Thoughts

Ozcuse

All American
I brought my wife, brother, and father to the game. For my brother and father it was their first spring game ever and only the 2nd time my father has been in the Dome for a football related event.

We really liked that they marked which seats were still available for seasons and had them color coded based on price. Before and during the game we walked around the Dome twice sitting in different sections while watching the scrimmage and got to find the seats that everyone was in favor of. SU has two brand new season ticket holders and my wife and I upgraded ours to all sit together. Section 324 Row B represent!. $125 per ticket to have a great view for the season is awesome in my book!

The game itself I thought was pretty vanilla, especially the first half. There were several more big plays in the second half against the depth and walk-on defense. It seemed most plays were run out of a 4 wide spread set and about 75% of those plays were screen passes to the outside receiver with the inside becoming a blocker. The play didn't have much success in the first half against the better defenders but it did pick up yards in huge chunks as the game progressed. I hope they keep that play limited to 1st down and 2nd and short plays to help set up the running game and not use it in 2nd and long and 3rd and long opportunities.

Ashton seemed to hold on to the ball a lot better than in the past which I saw as a good sign. He is a big mismatch against small cornerbacks and although he isn't a burner he looks like he will be our most consistent target when we need 5-6 yards.

Kobena had the best play of the game on a short pass play that looked like he would get rode out of bounds but instead he reversed and ran an extra 30-40 yards and beat everyone to the opposite sideline and got in the endzone. That was fun. He also caught a fade in the first half for a touchdown. He will probably become the deep threat as long as he doesn't get the dropsies.

Brisly has a gear that very few players on this team can reach although Whigham impressively caught him on the sideline after a safety fell giving up the big play. I'm excited about seeing him as an inside receiver in the 4 wide spread set. We didn't see many (any?) slant passes over the middle but I think that will happen more as the bubble screens will spread the defense out and give room over the middle for Brisly to operate.

I didn't see much out of the running backs but Gulley, GMII, and McFarlane all look like they can make guys miss and hopefully they get the chance to catch some balls out of the back field. We may miss Jerome a LOT.

Also, I'm interested to see if our QB will be the leader in rushing yards this year which would be kinda fun.

I don't know what to think of the defense as they had so many 2nd and 3rd string guys out there and they weren't allowed to hit the QB. There did seem to be some hard hitters out there and I think that Dyshawn Davis is going to excel in this area and also take a leadership role on that side of the ball. He definitely looked the part on the field.

Also, I don't know what to think of only one turnover being caused by the defense. It could either mean we have good offense players that won't turn over the ball or the defense isn't as opportunistic as in years past. I guess we'll see.

After the game I saw several people wearing FSU gear which I thought was odd. Scouting us already?

I would almost gaurentee FSU sent scouts. Most big programs do and this will be like a new venue for them.

I would almost gaurentee FSU sent scouts. Most big programs do and this will be like a new venue for them.

Out of professional courtesy, do they have to wear their school shirts?

I brought my wife, brother, and father to the game. For my brother and father it was their first spring game ever and only the 2nd time my father has been in the Dome for a football related event.

We really liked that they marked which seats were still available for seasons and had them color coded based on price. Before and during the game we walked around the Dome twice sitting in different sections while watching the scrimmage and got to find the seats that everyone was in favor of. SU has two brand new season ticket holders and my wife and I upgraded ours to all sit together. Section 324 Row B represent!. $125 per ticket to have a great view for the season is awesome in my book!

The game itself I thought was pretty vanilla, especially the first half. There were several more big plays in the second half against the depth and walk-on defense. It seemed most plays were run out of a 4 wide spread set and about 75% of those plays were screen passes to the outside receiver with the inside becoming a blocker. The play didn't have much success in the first half against the better defenders but it did pick up yards in huge chunks as the game progressed. I hope they keep that play limited to 1st down and 2nd and short plays to help set up the running game and not use it in 2nd and long and 3rd and long opportunities.

Ashton seemed to hold on to the ball a lot better than in the past which I saw as a good sign. He is a big mismatch against small cornerbacks and although he isn't a burner he looks like he will be our most consistent target when we need 5-6 yards.

Kobena had the best play of the game on a short pass play that looked like he would get rode out of bounds but instead he reversed and ran an extra 30-40 yards and beat everyone to the opposite sideline and got in the endzone. That was fun. He also caught a fade in the first half for a touchdown. He will probably become the deep threat as long as he doesn't get the dropsies.

Brisly has a gear that very few players on this team can reach although Whigham impressively caught him on the sideline after a safety fell giving up the big play. I'm excited about seeing him as an inside receiver in the 4 wide spread set. We didn't see many (any?) slant passes over the middle but I think that will happen more as the bubble screens will spread the defense out and give room over the middle for Brisly to operate.

I didn't see much out of the running backs but Gulley, GMII, and McFarlane all look like they can make guys miss and hopefully they get the chance to catch some balls out of the back field. We may miss Jerome a LOT.

Also, I'm interested to see if our QB will be the leader in rushing yards this year which would be kinda fun.

I don't know what to think of the defense as they had so many 2nd and 3rd string guys out there and they weren't allowed to hit the QB. There did seem to be some hard hitters out there and I think that Dyshawn Davis is going to excel in this area and also take a leadership role on that side of the ball. He definitely looked the part on the field.

Also, I don't know what to think of only one turnover being caused by the defense. It could either mean we have good offense players that won't turn over the ball or the defense isn't as opportunistic as in years past. I guess we'll see.

After the game I saw several people wearing FSU gear which I thought was odd. Scouting us already?

Kobena tries that in a real game and it's a 10 yd loss. Entertaining but meaningless.

I'm 323 row D. Love the view from there. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Out of professional courtesy, do they have to wear their school shirts?

Would you prefer they wear their true colors or show up as some covert spy op in SU gear? I prefer the former just for clarity's sake and may even point out to recruits how seriously FSU takes us because we are on the rise.

Would you prefer they wear their true colors or show up as some covert spy op in SU gear? I prefer the former just for clarity's sake and may even point out to recruits how seriously FSU takes us because we are on the rise.

I'm not 100% sure they were scouts, maybe just area FSU fans going to a free game. I followed them out of the Dome so I didn't get the chance to see them from the front.

I didn't know if schools require this kind of courtesy or not... and I do like what you wrote about the FSU respect thing.

I'm not 100% sure they were scouts, maybe just area FSU fans going to a free game. I followed them out of the Dome so I didn't get the chance to see them from the front.

No worries AND if anyone asks why our playcalling was so vanilla this is a really good thing to point out. All of the sudden 75% screen passes seems like an extremely good idea with your opponent watching.

No worries AND if anyone asks why our playcalling was so vanilla this is a really good thing to point out. All of the sudden 75% screen passes seems like an extremely good idea with your opponent watching.

Or maybe FSU will just throw bubble screens to the plethora of 6'5" 4.4 40 receivers they have. ;)

I didn't know if schools require this kind of courtesy or not... and I do like what you wrote about the FSU respect thing.

I would presume FSU sent scouts to every opponents Spring game but conveniently leave that out when talking to recruits.

Or maybe FSU will just throw bubble screens to the plethora of 6'5" 4.4 40 receivers they have. ;)

I'm not as worried about their 6'5 guys on screens but rather their seemingly endless ranks of Brisley Estime clones to work with. The speed they had on the field last year was absurd and would presume they havent gotten any slower.

The upper corners for $125 are the best bargain out there.

I couldn't believe it. I thought they would be closer to halfway between the cost of the $99 and $225 tickets. They really need a little more diversity in price up top. Some tickets are almost too good of deals and then seats that are literally twenty feet from me are $100 more.

I couldn't believe it. I thought they would be closer to halfway between the cost of the $99 and $225 tickets. They really need a little more diversity in price up top. Some tickets are almost too good of deals and then seats that are literally twenty feet from me are $100 more.
Try seats 1 row in front of you can be hundreds of dollars more in Section 301.

Try seats 1 row in front of you can be hundreds of dollars more in Section 301.

I suppose an excellent question for the ticket guy at the top of the football thread!

I suppose an excellent question for the ticket guy at the top of the football thread!

They are aware...just the issue of having 4 preferred price ranges and several other ticket options...they all come into play in Sections like 301, 302, etc...

If I was a new fan...I would not even get a $99 season pass anymore...I would look at the $125 level.

They are aware...just the issue of having 4 preferred price ranges and several other ticket options...they all come into play in Sections like 301, 302, etc...

If I was a new fan...I would not even get a $99 season pass anymore...I would look at the $125 level.

How would you break down the prices Mark?

^^^^^^^^ This. FSU is the bandwagon team of the year as they won the NC and have Winston returning and it was a free event which means you are easily going to attract people outside of OrangeNation who were looking for something to do. Pretty sure all the ACC schools had a scout there and I don't think anyone of them would show up in their home school colors making a spectacle of themselves. I assume they would want to sneak in unnoticed and leave the same way.

How would you break down the prices Mark?

Best value IMHO: Upper Corner in rows A to G is the best deal by far for $125. Then I would say $225 level between the 40s in the 3rd level or down on the first level between the goalline and the 15 yard line. The Tops Section is by far the best deal for a family of 4. The $99 Food Stamps are still a great value especially as a 65% full Dome allows an easy seat upgrade on game day.

Attachments

• Football_Tiered_Pricing_Flyer_2014[1].pdf
    764.1 KB · Views: 66
I am not sure this is true. ncaa bylaws "In basketball, football, and volleyball, off-campus, in-person scouting of opponents is not allowed".. did this change recently? Last I knew you couldnt go offsite to see a game in football unless the opponent was off the schedule. Thats why Edsall had to leave the bldg last year. Perhaps spring football doesnt count?

I am not sure this is true. ncaa bylaws "In basketball, football, and volleyball, off-campus, in-person scouting of opponents is not allowed".. did this change recently? Last I knew you couldnt go offsite to see a game in football unless the opponent was off the schedule. Thats why Edsall had to leave the bldg last year. Perhaps spring football doesnt count?

No idea. Figure an event that is open to the public w/ free admission would be fair game. Edsall may have been a special case because he gives off feminine hygeine product chills that permeate for miles.

Last edited:
Fun fact, I just learned you can't say the D word that rhymes with swoosh!

images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom