Latest on Hopkins situation is... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Latest on Hopkins situation is...

If Hop leaves for BC IMO it guarantees he will not replace JB when he finally retires. There are going to be some raw feelings in the parting and Hop will build his own program there and if he has success will be there for a while. A more likely scenario is that Hop would return to SU to replace the guy after JB if he doesn't have success and the program declines. Somewhat like the Roy Williams scenario at UNC.

Uggh. I could think of nothing worse than Hop being the guy to replace the guy after JB.

It would mean the guy after JB wasn't good enough, and that Hop was just average at BC.

If Hop leaves I hope we go all in on a Shaka Smart type.

If he did receive the offer yesterday and we have not heard anything about it yet it means he probably didn't accept it. Add to that the leaked "new" candidate that's pretty good evidence he did turn it down. Just playing the logic game I'd say 90% or better.

Don't you this disturbing? Shouldn't Hopkins know his status vis a vis Su by now? What about Boeheim? Hasn't he made it know to Hopkins and SU what the future is? Doesn't he feel that Hopkins would've the best going forward and give Hopkins some idea of what his future is?soundslikeHopkins is frustrated and needs assurances or more $. Are we Togo through this every year til boeheimannounceshis farewell tour?

Sounds very Favre-esque (i.e., obnoxious as hell for fans).

Syracuse can afford to pay 2m a year for a coach it is pocket change to keep this program at the top

The price will be closer to $3M.

Don't you this disturbing? Shouldn't Hopkins know his status vis a vis Su by now? What about Boeheim? Hasn't he made it know to Hopkins and SU what the future is? Doesn't he feel that Hopkins would've the best going forward and give Hopkins some idea of what his future is?soundslikeHopkins is frustrated and needs assurances or more $. Are we Togo through this every year til boeheimannounceshis farewell tour?

He "knows his status" - he's trying to get more. Whatever "more" is is subject to debate.

But as someone who did this at a job, you can only go back to that well so many times before they say, "that sounds like a great opportunity, good luck".

He "knows his status" - he's trying to get more. Whatever "more" is is subject to debate.

But as someone who did this at a job, you can only go back to that well so many times before they say, "that sounds like a great opportunity, good luck".
I don't think that's Hopkins' intent at all.

I don't think that's Hopkins' intent at all.

Yeah, the guy has stayed here because he was told this was his job. The moment schools started sniffing around a few years back is when we heard about the whole coach-in-waiting thing. Boeheim made a pitch to keep him because he knows how valuable he is to his success. I also believe that Boeheim thought that he was closer to retirement a few years back than he perhaps does now. No doubt, though, that the whole "the job is yours when I retire" spiel becomes a little tiresome when the "when" never seems to come. Hop wants to run his own program. It has little to do with money. Sure money matters since these are likely Hop's prime earning years but he can only get so much credit for wins he earns for Boeheim. I think Boeheim knows that too but he's clearly not going to step down just because of Hop's desire to be a HC. So we don't hear the rumors so much about SU scrambling to keep him anymore.

Yeah, the guy has stayed here because he was told this was his job. The moment schools started sniffing around a few years back is when we heard about the whole coach-in-waiting thing. Boeheim made a pitch to keep him because he knows how valuable he is to his success. I also believe that Boeheim thought that he was closer to retirement a few years back than he perhaps does now. No doubt, though, that the whole "the job is yours when I retire" spiel becomes a little tiresome when the "when" never seems to come. Hop wants to run his own program. It has little to do with money. Sure money matters since these are likely Hop's prime earning years but he can only get so much credit for wins he earns for Boeheim. I think Boeheim knows that too but he's clearly not going to step down just because of Hop's desire to be a HC. So we don't hear the rumors so much about SU scrambling to keep him anymore.

exactly... Hops ability to put great players on the floor and JB's coaching have led to a perfect storm. JB is winning a lot and energized and Hop is getting older. The dilemma comes if Hop leaves and JB doesn't have as much success on the recruiting front without him. Very tough situation for everyone involved.

exactly... Hops ability to put great players on the floor and JB's coaching have led to a perfect storm. JB is winning a lot and energized and Hop is getting older. The dilemma comes if Hop leaves and JB doesn't have as much success on the recruiting front without him. Very tough situation for everyone involved.

I think the part of the problem is that this rejuvenation is directly related to Hop's (and Red's and GMac's) role in the program. He hits the road for recruiting, runs the practices, etc. I think the work Hop puts in allows JB to feel energized because he doesn't need to do as much of the grind as other coaches. It's a difficult cycle.

Say Hop has had a enough with being the head coach in waiting and heads to some other job. When he leaves, with how big his role is, JB might have to put in a lot more work than he had to before. That grind could wear on him and he decides he's ready to hang it up. Well, now Hopkins is in to his second year at another program. Or JB let's Hop go and keeps the program the way it is, but with Red taking over for Hop. Well, what if Red isn't as good at it and the program suffers? As you said, tough situation.

Would an "Associate Head Coach" title and big ol' raise do it for the time being?

I think the part of the problem is that this rejuvenation is directly related to Hop's (and Red's and GMac's) role in the program. He hits the road for recruiting, runs the practices, etc. I think the work Hop puts in allows JB to feel energized because he doesn't need to do as much of the grind as other coaches. It's a difficult cycle.

Say Hop has had a enough with being the head coach in waiting and heads to some other job. When he leaves, with how big his role is, JB might have to put in a lot more work than he had to before. That grind could wear on him and he decides he's ready to hang it up. Well, now Hopkins is in to his second year at another program. Or JB let's Hop go and keeps the program the way it is, but with Red taking over for Hop. Well, what if Red isn't as good at it and the program suffers? As you said, tough situation.

nailed it... Been thinking about this a lot. JB lets Hop do a ton, and has been able to sit back a bit and enjoy the fruits of his labor (similar to my boss :( ) If he leaves, any new coach, despite how talented he is, would need some seasoning and JB does not have time on his side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom