Latest on Hopkins situation is... | Syracusefan.com

Latest on Hopkins situation is...

gilardino

Starter
Hopkins left Boston with an offer or an intent.He either leaves or SU reaponds with the timing of Boeheim's retirement.

Hopkins left Boston with an offer or an intent.He either leaves or SU reaponds with the timing of Boeheim's retirement.
Intent? I do find it unlikely that SU publicly indicates a retirement date. If there is a retirement date it would seem more likely that it is privately agreed between JB and Hop. Otherwise it makes Hop look like the bad guy. Would be happy for Hop to get the job but not happy as far as at least the short term impact on the SU program.

I hate to be a chicken little, but I am really really worried about happens if Hop leaves, particularly to BC. He's basically COO of the team and an amazing recruiter, so we'll have a huge hole on the day-to-day as well as the recruiting fronts. And obviously having him go to a Northeastern school, in the same conference no less, is much worse than having him go to a USC or Marquette. Seems like pretty much a worst-case scenario for us. I'm less concerned about who takes over for JB than I am about this affects things until he does retire.

If JB isn't ready to step away or put a date to step away on the calendar, than I don't see any reason to do anything but deal with Mike as the HC in waiting. If its not good enough, then he can move on and we open the search to the universe of possibilities when JB finally retires.

I don't understand the thinking that we have to be locked into HOP, if he is not comfortable taking it on JB's terms??

Last edited:
Guys, Mike is a great coach and great Syracuse guy but lets be real. When JB retires this will be one of the top 10 jobs in the country. Recruiting will become critical and JB will fill the spot with a top guy.

It may work out if he leaves. If he's successful, he may be willing to come back when JB retires. We know he's going to be around a couple years longer.

If he's not successful, we dodged a bullet.
I think BC is a great job, just don't know if its a great job for the guy who HAS the Syracuse job.

He goes, he's done here.

The career path is either:

- BC till the end
- leaves for say the UCLA job
- fired and is at a mid

The Syracuse dream...is over.

Going to be some anxious hours in Syracuse. I'd be surprised if he doesn't accept the offer tonight.

I think BC is a great job, just don't know if its a great job for the guy who HAS the Syracuse job.

He goes, he's done here.

- BC till the end
- fired and is at a mid

I don't think BC is a great job but if anyone could make it an attractive destination, it would be Hop.

He goes, he's done here.

- BC till the end
- fired and is at a mid

Yep. And I would have rooted for him had he gone out of conference and/or far away. Beagles? Don't let the door hit ya...

C'mon hop is a class act who bleeds orange if he takes the job means boeheim isn't going anywhere for a while. We are a powerhouse program we will be fine

I hate to be a chicken little, but I am really really worried about happens if Hop leaves, particularly to BC. He's basically COO of the team and an amazing recruiter, so we'll have a huge hole on the day-to-day as well as the recruiting fronts. And obviously having him go to a Northeastern school, in the same conference no less, is much worse than having him go to a USC or Marquette. Seems like pretty much a worst-case scenario for us. I'm less concerned about who takes over for JB than I am about this affects things until he does retire.

It all comes down to whether the university is willing to pay a market-rate salary. JB has been too good to them over the years. They will need to offer around $3M if Buzz Williams was making $2.8M at Marquette. They won't get away with paying $1M and change and letting Nike pick up the balance of the coach's compensation.

If he got an offer...he's gone. Good for him. Crash goes our recruiting.

and also, how the do you know what Hopkins left Boston with?

He goes, he's done here.

- BC till the end
- fired and is at a mid

I think this is a great point.

Love Hop, but if he leaves JB needs to get another recruiter who can actually coach up big men. You look at Storrs, their bigs were awful early in the year and now they look like All-Americans. That's coaching and we have lacked that development for far too long.

Not worried about recruiting. We shouldn't have any trouble getting someone who can recruit.

Maybe not, but JB's job will get a lot tougher. Hop does the heavy lifting with recruiting and runs the practices.

It will be a huge loss.

Don't kid yourself.

Which is probably why he stays here, He already does more than most other assistant coaches, so why leave for an awful job?

If he got an offer...he's gone. Good for him. Crash goes our recruiting.

As long as we have the Melo Center and 30,000 butts in the seats, any coach who doesn't completely suck at recruiting should be able to bring in good players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom