Class of 2019 - LB Khalib Gilmore (FL) TRANSFERRING FROM WEST FLORIDA TO SYRACUSE (4/4/23) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 LB Khalib Gilmore (FL) TRANSFERRING FROM WEST FLORIDA TO SYRACUSE (4/4/23)

If he’s 235 and can play edge too I like the pickup. He seems like an ACC caliber athlete. LB is a really strange place to see the first open scholarship go to when there’s so many other areas of need. It almost signals to me we might see some of our depth at the position depart before fall…

Depth wise you also don't want to rush the true freshman LBs into burning their redshirt.

Either that articles stats are wrong or the Western Florida stats are wrong for 2022.

Khalib Gilmore - 2022 - Football - University of West Florida Athletics

Also he was injured so missed a lot of playing time and played in just 6 games. Looks like he was fighting injuries as there are three stretches of games where there are more than a week between games.

I also find it interesting at looking at his bio for all 4 years. Looks like he put on all of his weight very late. 185 lbs his first 3 years then 225 in 2022. That is quite a jump. But says he was a LB all 4 years. Not sure how accurate that all is though.

Kahlib Gilmore Screen shot.jpg

Depth depth depth. Need players for ST, practice and potentially can turn into more if stars align. I get it!

I think he makes 2 deep and starts next year

KHALIB GILMORE 2022 TRANSFER UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA/MELBOURNE HS, MELBOURNE FL 6" 4" 235, LB, 40 = 4.7, VJ 40", BP 220/ SQ 375 / BJ 110"
COMMITTED 4/4/23
HIS TWITTER: 6’4 235 Linebacker/Edge
z7uZ-m4Z_400x400.jpg

gilmore_090322_cage.jpg

ASSETS PER FILM PROVIDED

DEPENDING ON POSITION THE FOLLOWING 40 TIMES ARE PERTINENT:

GOOD = 5.0 - 5.99

FAST = 4.9 - 4.99

FAST= 4.8 - 4.89

FAST= 4.7 - 4.79

FAST= 4.6 - 4.69

FAST= 4.5 - 4.59

VERY FAST= 4.4 - 4.49

ELITE = 4.2 - 4.39

FAST
SHOWS SKILLS AT DIFFERENT POSITIONS EDGE ( WHICH IN FILM HE PLAYS A LOT, LB, WR,
FS)
AGGRESSIVE
GOOD TACKLING SKILLS
GOOD BLOCKING SKILLS
SPENDS TIME IN B'FLD DESTROYING PLAYS BEFORE THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO START
GREAT HANDS
CATCHES THE BALL
TACKLES LOW SO RB GOES DOWN IMMEDIATELY

GOOD GET

Last edited:
Yes, and if what I read is correct 40 plus tackles in a short season, good HS rank, Florida Georgia all-star team...
I believe the article where you read his stats was incorrect. He only had 17 tackles.

But I like him based off his current measurables, highlights and practice film as well. Seems like he gained all his weight late and was very hindered by injuries last year.

I believe the article where you read his stats was incorrect. He only had 17 tackles.

But I like him based off his current measurables, highlights and practice film as well. Seems like he gained all his weight late and was very hindered by injuries last year.

Maybe he comes in and redshirts -- don't know. But we do have depth at LB.

Wax / Thompson are studs. McDonald started a ton. Lowery and Sparrow were big contributors last year. Bailey looked impressive in the bowl game. That's 6 right there who are proven commodities [acknowledging that Bailey has played less then the other 5].

In addition to those 6, Mason looks like a good athlete, and Roon cracked the two-deep late in the season. Rice was rated as the #2 JUCO linebacker recruit in the class of 2023. And incoming frosh Goddard looks like a monster in the mold of Wax.

So not sure whether there is an immediate path to PT for Gilmore, unless he projects as a DE as well [which doesn't seem likely due to his lack of bulk].

So I'm baselining my expectations to special teams contributor, with the possibility of making a bigger splash in his final year. As mentioned above, kid looks like a good athlete with good instincts for the position. Will be interesting to see how he does.

And also, you never know what happens with injuries. Seems like we've been snakebit in recent years with flurries of injuries plaguing one positional unit. Seems like we have enough depth at LB to withstand that, but if a couple of key players go down, maybe this kid gets into the mix.

Last edited:
Maybe he comes in and redshirts -- don't know. But we do have depth at LB.

Wax / Thompson are studs. McDonald started a ton. Lowery and Sparrow were big contributors last year. Bailey looked impressive in the bowl game. That's 6 right there who are proven commodities [acknowledging that Bailey has played less then the other 5].

In addition to those 6, Mason looks like a good athlete, and Roon cracked the two-deep late in the season. Rice was rated as the #2 JUCO linebacker recruit in the class of 2023. And incoming frosh Goddard looks like a monster in the mold of Wax.

So not sure whether there is an immediate path to PT for Gilmore, unless he projects as a DE as well [which doesn't seem likely due to his lack of bulk].

So I'm baselining my expectations to special teams contributor, with the possibility of making a bigger splash in his final year. As mentioned above, kid looks like a good athlete with good instincts for the position. Will be interesting to see how he does.

And also, you never know what happens with injuries. Seems like we've been snakebit in recent years with flurries of injuries plaguing one positional unit. Seems like we have enough depth at LB to withstand that, but if a couple of key players go down, maybe this kid gets into the mix.
Its good to bring in bigger older guys that can play core teams instead of the guys you mention.

Its good to bring in bigger older guys that can play core teams instead of the guys you mention.
IMO used way too many starters on ST last season. Maybe that was because they were also the best athletes. Using a scholly for a guy who could be an ST ace is a good use of 1.

Rocky knows 8000X more about linebackers than any of us idiots and knows way more about them than most professionals. If he likes this kid, good enough for me
I have to go on this premise after reading through this thread because something doesn't seem to add up on the measurables side given playing stats.
6'4" , 235 lbs with 4.7 speed and 40" vertical indicates a high degree of athleticism. Given that, I would expect better stats and a certainly a better bench press than 220, which i would expect a guy of his size and age to have a military press of at least that. Granted, BP is over-rated as a performance indicator, but it is an indication of overall upper body strength. Maybe he had an injury that prevented him from a better #.

I have to go on this premise after reading through this thread because something doesn't seem to add up on the measurables side given playing stats.
6'4" , 235 lbs with 4.7 speed and 40" vertical indicates a high degree of athleticism. Given that, I would expect better stats and a certainly a better bench press than 220, which i would expect a guy of his size and age to have a military press of at least that. Granted, BP is over-rated as a performance indicator, but it is an indication of overall upper body strength. Maybe he had an injury that prevented him from a better #.
Where is a BP of 220 from? Doubt it’s accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom