Class of 2016 - LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 LB Taylor Riggins (NY) Verbal to UMass

Agreed. It is a different situation when a player has suffered an injury like Riggins did. Plus he is from NYS and he is from one of the best programs in the state. If the staff pulls his scholarship, it does not send a good message to all the HS coaches in the state. Dino made it a point to talk about the importance of recruiting players from NYS in his initial presser. If he is serious about this, he needs to assure Taylor is scholarship offer is solid ASAP.

No assurances given. We have already heard a threat from coach Kaufman saying " what if we decide not to reup his scholarship after the first year"?He is encouraging us to decommit. Who does that!!?

Last edited by a moderator:
No assurances given. We have already heard a threat from coach Kaufman saying " what if we decide not to reup his scholarship after the first year"?He is encouraging us to decommit. Who does that!!?
I thought the P5 conferences just agreed that scholarships would no longer be on a year to year basis.

If this accurately represents what is being said to this recruit it's ridiculous. A veiled threat? Really?

Toga said:
I thought the P5 conferences just agreed that scholarships would no longer be on a year to year basis.

I "think" the NCAA made it optional for schools?

If this accurately represents what is being said to this recruit it's ridiculous. A veiled threat? Really?

I know I always trust a poster that comes out of no where and has one post with no vetting.

Edit. Vetting Complete. LOL

Last edited:
Makes it more trustworthy imo.

Certainly raised my eyebrow as soon as I saw it.

Ditto, these posts typically tend to be from people really close to the situation.

Thanks for the heads up because I did look it up and that is true. That ruling was made earlier this year but it barely passed. The scholarship is not year to year and is guaranteed for 4 years and a player cannot be removed for athletic reasons. That applies to all power five schools

Someone close to the situation , like me his father

I really hope things work out with your son--impressive athlete.

Sorry that he got caught up in this, the downside of collegiate athletics when changes to the coaching staff occur.

ERASER30 said:
Thanks for the heads up because I did look it up and that is true. That ruling was made earlier this year but it barely passed. The scholarship is not year to year and is guaranteed for 4 years and a player cannot be removed for athletic reasons. That applies to all power five schools

I may have misread it but when I quickly looked it seemed like it was optional for each school whether they did year to year or 4 year.

Obviously we don't know the entire story and that isn't a slight at you at all ERASER30 but this is a little disheartening to hear. This isn't a slam at the staff either just hate to have some of these things happen when you have changes in the staff.

I did some research and the NCAA P5 conference schools narrowly adopted this rule on the 4-year scholarship guarantee and the same is in effect for all P5 schools. Group of 5 schools can opt in if they choose but the same is not mandatory for non-P5 members.

The crux of the legislation is that an athletic scholarship is no longer one-year renewable and the 4-year scholarship cannot be reduce or terminated for athletic performance. Off the field or academic issues could still lead to a termination.

I would be extremely surprised that the new staff didn't know of this legislation. The only logical explanation would be that they came from a non-P5 school which still has one-year renewable scholarships but that is weak at best. If your gonna recruit at a P5 school you should probably know the rules. If not, hopefully the staff is being educated now.

I did some research and the NCAA P5 conference schools narrowly adopted this rule on the 4-year scholarship guarantee and the same is in effect for all P5 schools. Group of 5 schools can opt in if they choose but the same is not mandatory for non-P5 members.

The crux of the legislation is that an athletic scholarship is no longer one-year renewable and the 4-year scholarship cannot be reduce or terminated for athletic performance. Off the field or academic issues could still lead to a termination.

I would be extremely surprised that the new staff didn't know of this legislation. The only logical explanation would be that they came from a non-P5 school which still has one-year renewable scholarships but that is weak at best. If your gonna recruit at a P5 school you should probably know the rules. If not, hopefully the staff is being educated now.

Did that rule change take effect for this recruiting class? Or does it start with next year's class? If it was adopted this year, maybe it doesn't start until next year. Also, I don't know if maybe there is a grandfather clause for existing scholarships and/or extended scholarship offers. If there is no grandfather clause or transition period, then everyone currently on scholarship would fall under the new rule.

Did that rule change take effect for this recruiting class? Or does it start with next year's class? If it was adopted this year, maybe it doesn't start until next year. Also, I don't know if maybe there is a grandfather clause for existing scholarships and/or extended scholarship offers. If there is no grandfather clause or transition period, then everyone currently on scholarship would fall under the new rule.
Even if it does not start until next year he is safe because the 2016 recruiting class will be honored for full scholarship in a statement by AD Mark Coyle.

Of course it's not inconceivable that a coach who has been at the P5 level for less than 2 weeks may not be fully apprised of the new rule. Sometimes "hit the ground running" is not always the best approach. Unfortunately given the timing of the change and the constraints of the recruiting calendar it's the reality the new staff is dealing with. Willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here but I certainly think any of Shafe's commits deserve better. Eraser, wishing you and Taylor the best whatever happens but still think you'll look great in Orange!

Here's a breakdown of how this all happened, if anyone is curious:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...-attendance-multi-year-scholarships-approved/

Hope Taylor makes it here-If not, will definitely be rooting for him either way.

StCuse315 said:
DE? Thoughts?

OLB 6-2 213 is a bit small for DE. he'd be a multi year project to get him there. S&C wise.

Visit is/was scheduled for this weekend. We should know if he's the next decommit or not soon enough.