Lehigh and Cornell games canceled | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Lehigh and Cornell games canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an unvaccinated 44 year old that had very mild symptoms

Whats the number of Americans that CAN vouch for that

Yes, that’s awesome. For you.

Not so much for those 800k.

Even if there were 8 million, or 80 million just like you - does that negate the 800,000 now dead?

My employee is another - she was 54 then, didn’t have a single symptom, and only found out she’d gotten Covid because she was diligent and got retested after 2 initial tests came back negative.

People like you and her got incredibly lucky.

Sadly, that does not seem to be the norm.

unvaccinated peeps who've also had prior covid are not at a much higher risk of hospitalization and death. it's the unvaccinated with no natural immunity.
It is my understanding that the Omicron variant is adept at getting past natural immunity from recovering Delta individuals. They don't know yet as far as Omicron patients since its so new. Latest data is that even vaccinated people (pfizer) only have 33% protection from infection ( 70% verses hospitalization ) . Third shot or bonus brings effficy up to 70% with avoiding serious illness up to 90%. Omicron will have a crapload of break throughs but vaccinated should be ok especially boosters. The situation is fluid of course.

Hmmmm. I wonder if that means the mask mandates will actually be upheld? I sure wish they would be. It’s actually not that bad! Before the season started, I was uncertain whether I would go to any games because I pictured the mask wearing would be disgusting and claustrophobic. I have discovered that it is a little uncomfortable when I first arrive at my seat because I have been walking quite a ways to get to it, and am feeling hot. Once that passes, the mask becomes a non-factor.

I also double masked when I flew to Charlotte yesterday and that wasn’t bad, either.

One thing I don’t like is it is harder to talk to people during the game, something I enjoy very much. I can tolerate this sacrifice.

True dat.

The problem with “natural immunity” is - you need to have had Covid, AND survived it, in order to then have that.

800,000+ Muricans could vouch** for the fact that maybe that’s not the best course of action.

** if they were alive and able to do so.
But they are dead.

Honest question from the apparent corpse of an unvaccinated poster that had covid back in August .. what do you believe the survival rate is for this?

I will say I’m vaccinated and my symptoms are very mild.

I’ve been far sicker before with the common cold.

I encourage people to get vaccinated so that when they do get sick, it’s as easy as it is for me.

Once everyone can get as mild symptoms as what I’m experiencing, the hospitals become less crowded.

Once the hospitals are less crowded life can continue on as normal.

Covid will not go away in our lifetimes and is eventually going to be an endemic. But as long as people resist a vaccine and hospitals continue to run close to capacity this will be the reality of the world

Also, my wife is boosted, and has tested negative several times since I was infected with Covid and she was absolutely exposed while I had symptoms. I was not boosted yet

Get the vaccine, get boosted, get back to normal

I caught it, as did my wife, on our Thanksgiving trip to CNY. For me it felt like the flu the first night, then a cold after that. I'm vaccinated, but it ironically happened right at the 6 month point, was planning on getting a booster when I returned. Now I have to wait 4 weeks.

My unvaccinated 7 yo tested positive on Wednesday. Kind of the same as me, she had one day of sick/fever. Now she's back to normal enjoying her extended vacation (FYI, I'm not enjoying her extended vacation as much as she is).

Just waiting now for the vaccinated 12 yo to get it. He was negative yesterday. But I'm sure he will, then we'll be a bulletproof house, for some period of time I assume.

The worst part of all of it (for us) wasn't the physical side. It was the mental side. Trying to isolate in your house isn't easy. Kids missing school and their activities was really not easy. But that's why God invented bourbon.

Not a Liberty fan here, but I find it humorous how so many here did not want to play them in Football due to their handling of the pandemic.
Currently SU has 173 cases for student and staff, or .6%
Liberty has 18 (10 are staff), or .04%. With no mask mandates.
Come on. That's like the people who were sharing Florida's case rate recently, saying it was the lowest in the country, as if that meant they were handling things well. Of course, they didn't mention that it once was the highest in the country and that's why months later it crashed to the lowest. I don't know what Liberty's history is with COVID, but sharing a moment-in-time data point is meaningless. Context matters.

And they still can’t play next week so what’s your point? They can be asymptomatic and be contagious correct? I don’t care about arguing with you I was pointing to the information in the article
The protocols have changed with vaccination. It's not the same automatic out for 10 days that it was pre-vaccine. I don't know the specifics of how we or the ACC are doing things but I believe the pros are doing something like asymptomatic combined with 2 negative tests for vaccinated players which can be much shorter than the prior quarantine periods.

Come on. That's like the people who were sharing Florida's case rate recently, saying it was the lowest in the country, as if that meant they were handling things well. Of course, they didn't mention that it once was the highest in the country and that's why months later it crashed to the lowest. I don't know what Liberty's history is with COVID, but sharing a moment-in-time data point is meaningless. Context matters.
Yep... also geography matter. Syracuse is hours from one of the biggest international travel destinations in the world and a lot of kids just went home for Thanksgiving. Liberty is in the middle of nowhere VA. Given that this is being driven by a new variant from overseas, of course Syracuse will get nailed before Liberty.

It is my understanding that the Omicron variant is adept at getting past natural immunity from recovering Delta individuals. They don't know yet as far as Omicron patients since its so new. Latest data is that even vaccinated people (pfizer) only have 33% protection from infection ( 70% verses hospitalization ) . Third shot or bonus brings effficy up to 70% with avoiding serious illness up to 90%. Omicron will have a crapload of break throughs but vaccinated should be ok especially boosters. The situation is fluid of course.
Based on data from South Africa which has 25% vaccination but supposedly 80%+ previous infection rate, Omicron does get past natural immunity and 2 doses of vaccine pretty easily. However it seems like both sets of people are protected from illness otherwise there would be a LOT more hospitalizations in South Africa right now.

According to sources, several Syracuse players have tested positive for the coronavirus in recent days. The lack of enough available players plus the risk of exposure resulted in the decision to postpone the next two games.
I know HIPPA and all that but I'm curious how many are double dippers from last season

I encourage people to get vaccinated so that when they do get sick, it’s as easy as it is for me.

Once everyone can get as mild symptoms as what I’m experiencing, the hospitals become less crowded.

Covid will not go away in our lifetimes and is eventually going to be an endemic. But as long as people resist a vaccine and hospitals continue to run close to capacity this will be the reality of the world

Also, my wife is boosted, and has tested negative several times since I was infected with Covid and she was absolutely exposed while I had symptoms. I was not boosted yet

Got my breakthrough case Thanksgiving eve. Felt like normal cold then day 5 - 10 a crap ton of coughing. Was able to get the monoclonal anti-body treatment. Started to feel normal last week.

JB hinted at this last night per SWCs write up.

“We could find out on Thursday that 4 guys can’t play in a Saturday game”

What did he know and when did he know it?

Jim didn't sound like he was concerned for his own team last night. He just didn't see how Cornell could play. That statement seemed like an acknowledgement that that sort of thing could happen but I think he was as surprised at today's news as we were.

Having a virus be the #3 killer in the USA is not a great thing...

But, but… natural immunity! :rolleyes:

Also - this seems like a good time to remind people:

DEATH is NOT the only negative outcome of Covid.

There are millions of Americans still suffering from Long Covid.
Which can result in a range of potentially severe and lasting respiratory and/or mental impairments, among other not-great outcomes, some of which may be permanent.

These people are casualties in the war against Covid, just like soldiers who lose limbs and/or have PTSD are casualties of war.

but it’s ok - they didn’t die or anything.

Potential wins against Cornell and Lehigh wouldn’t do much for our tournament hopes. The only thing this does is make it harder to keep the winning season streak alive.
Not at all. Just venting. This would be a really crappy way for JB’s consecutive winning season streak to end. Could they still pull it off? Sure, but it just got that much harder.

That's what asterisks were invented for.

It's unofficial anyway, thanks to the NCAA. :mad:

But we would know...:(

Glad you're OK and great, great post. At this point, this thing needs to run its course. If you're vaccinated AND boosted, you have very little to worry about. If not, you reap what you sow. My fiancees an epidemiologist and said Omnicron could be a blessing in disguise that finally makes this thing endemic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors