Leo Rautins thinks the college game has deteriorated. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Leo Rautins thinks the college game has deteriorated.

And if the kid wants(or needs to) to get paid badly enough he'll just play pro ball somewhere else until he's eligible to go to the NBA.

The concept of "forcing" someone to stay in college is laughable.

The NFL is a completely different ballgame. Apples to oranges.

Maybe, Europe and the D-league aren't for everyone, some players actually enjoy college.

So now I feel like you're just arguing because I used Malachi Richardson as an example.

If kids like college, they stay in college. The whole point is to keep kids who don't want to go to college out of college.

And if the kid wants(or needs to) to get paid badly enough he'll just play pro ball somewhere else until he's eligible to go to the NBA.

The concept of "forcing" someone to stay in college is laughable.

Thats fine, and if the kid needs to get paid badly enough, there are plenty of other places he can work. Its not laughable, if a league wants restrictions on who they want in the their league, they have the right.

So now I feel like you're just arguing because I used Malachi Richardson as an example.

If kids like college, they stay in college. The whole point is to keep kids who don't want to go to college out of college.

Its not about Malachi, its about kids in general. If you really are that depressed playing major college basketball at a big school, then go to Europe, or go work construction.

The NFL is a completely different ballgame. Apples to oranges.

Why because its a more physical sport? MLB makes you stay three years if you elect to go to college.

Why because its a more physical sport? MLB makes you stay three years if you elect to go to college.

Well, there aren't exactly well playing pro football leagues all over the world. Football players have no other options.

Well, there aren't exactly well playing pro football leagues all over the world. Football players have no other options.

That is true, but still they have every right to dictate their terms of employment.

Thats fine, and if the kid needs to get paid badly enough, there are plenty of other places he can work. Its not laughable, if a league wants restrictions on who they want in the their league, they have the right.

Of course they have the right. But you can't "force" kids to stay in college. The way things are going, I think we'd see more kids opt to play pro ball until they're eligible for the NBA.

And I think if the NCAA would stop being stupid and having a million different rules to prevent kids from making money, things would be much better. Ridiculous that they can't at least make money off their own jersey sales or signing autographs.

Of course they have the right. But you can't "force" kids to stay in college. The way things are going, I think we'd see more kids opt to play pro ball until they're eligible for the NBA.

No one is holding a gun to their head, if your really that miserable playing basketball at Syracuse or Duke, go to Europe, or get a 9-5 job like other kids their age do. These athletes have it too good.

No one is holding a gun to their head, if your really that miserable playing basketball at Syracuse or Duke, go to Europe, or get a 9-5 job like other kids their age do. These athletes have it too good.

I doubt many (if any) of these kids are "miserable" in college. They're probably having a great time.
They just want to play as Pros, and get PAID like Pros.
And who wouldn't?

Granted - MOST of them can't and won't get paid to play ball, period - or not like they've dreamt of, but that doesn't stop them from dreaming.

LOL.

I doubt many (if any) of these kids are "miserable" in college. They're probably having a great time.
And who wouldn't?

Granted - MOST of them can't and won't get paid to play ball, period - or not like they've dreamt of, but that doesn't stop them from dreaming.

You'd have to be an idiot to not want to get at least a little something of the money you generate.

I remember Jalen Rose talking about how when he was in college he was at a mall and saw a sign advertising the Nike Air Flight Huarache that said something like "as worn by the Fab Five". That shoe got very popular solely because the Fab Five wore it(everybody called them the "Fab Fives"), and everybody made money off of it except the kids who were the reason it was selling well!

And who wouldn't?

Everyone wants to get paid, most kids need to go to school for four years before they get paid.

This or any rule would be part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA Players Association and the owners. What the rule would do is prevent an NBA team from drafting or signing as a free agent any player who is less than X years out of high school, just like the NFL has the rule that you can't enter the draft until 3 years after your high school graduation. The NFL has a stronger case to use against challenges by arguing its rule is needed for player safety. There is nothing which would prevent a player from going from high school to a foreign professional league. The Collective Bargaining Agreement would have to specify whether a team could sign someone after completing 1 year in a foreign league.

It's amazing how many unintended consequences can come out of any set of rules.

And who wouldn't?

For a lot kids, they want to play in the NBA but will most likely not play or have a very short career. That's why for players overall safety they should get 2 or 3 years of college in so they have something solid to fall back on if the NBA doesn't work out. It's all about player safety.

Actually, the ruling is appropriate.
The Supreme Court was siding with the lower court decision that overturned an NBA by-law restricting the labor pool.
It essentially was a one-sided restraint imposed by owners.
BUT...collective bargaining permits the parties to circumvent antitrust law.
So today's restrictions would fly.

And two observations regarding this thread:

No real talk of why colleges should be recruiting one-and-dones in the first place if they really seek to have an educational mission.
And perhaps the issue is rightly ignored.
The college "game" is really a "business" now...there's just WAY too much money involved and no way to close the barn door.
So, the reluctant conclusion is it's time to start compensating the "unhired"(1) help.

Also, Leo Rautins may have been the best all-around player SU ever had.
He could do everything.
Only Billy Owens rivaled his complete skills.
His is an opinion to be respected.

Footnote (1): the term "unhired" to describe college basketball players does not apply to Kentucky or any place John Calipari coaches.

I agree.

This or any rule would be part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA Players Association and the owners. What the rule would do is prevent an NBA team from drafting or signing as a free agent any player who is less than X years out of high school, just like the NFL has the rule that you can't enter the draft until 3 years after your high school graduation. The NFL has a stronger case to use against challenges by arguing its rule is needed for player safety. There is nothing which would prevent a player from going from high school to a foreign professional league. The Collective Bargaining Agreement would have to specify whether a team could sign someone after completing 1 year in a foreign league.

Does not having a college degree to fall back on in case the NBA career doesn't work out count as player safety?

For a lot kids, they want to play in the NBA but will most likely not play or have a very short career. That's why for players overall safety they should get 2 or 3 years of college in so they have something solid to fall back on if the NBA doesn't work out. It's all about player safety.

What prevents them from going back to school to get their degree?

How do you "force" someone to stay in college? It's not prison.

It's not forcing. If you as a player feel confident in your ability to go to the NBA from high school, you have the freedom to do so. If YOU make the decision to go to college, the rule should be a minimum of two years before leaving early. They aren't "forced" by any means. Guys like Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram shouldn't have to go to school for one year when they have the talent to play in the league straight out of high school.

It's not forcing. If you as a player feel confident in your ability to go to the NBA from high school, you have the freedom to do so. If YOU make the decision to go to college, the rule should be a minimum of two years before leaving early. They aren't "forced" by any means. Guys like Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram shouldn't have to go to school for one year when they have the talent to play in the league straight out of high school.

I don't have a problem with players going from HS into the D-league. Personally, I would enjoy CBB more if I knew our players were going to be around for a minimum of 2 years. I just want to see CBB improve by having a little more consistency with who is on the roster.

Let's say a guy isn't ready to play pro ball right out of high school, but he makes a huge jump in skill level between his frosh and sophomore year, and would now be a lottery pick.

Are some of you guys saying that this player is forced to stay at school and play for free when the free market wants his skills?

That basically translates to: "my entertainment takes priority over this young man's right to earn a living."

Let's say a guy isn't ready to play pro ball right out of high school, but he makes a huge jump in skill level between his frosh and sophomore year, and would now be a lottery pick.

Are some of you guys saying that this player is forced to stay at school and play for free when the free market wants his skills?

That basically translates to: "my entertainment takes priority over this young man's right to earn a living."

Yes. It totally screws over kids like Tyler Ennis. But I never said it was perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom